TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Self Presenting Doors upgrade after Delivery

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by dookie, Jul 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dookie

dookie Member

Hey everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker. I finally took the leap and ordered the model x. I ordered it without PUP but then realized (after 7 days) that self presenting doors were apart of that package. Question: Does anyone know if I can upgrade self presenting doors after delivery without having to worry about all the other features I really don't care for?

Thanks!

2. nehcrut

nehcrut Member

I would contact your local Service Center and ask them as they'd have the best idea.

3. dookie

dookie Member

Thanks, I will also contact them. I wanted to ask this forum, as it seems that the folks here often know more about the car than the Service Center.

4. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

When configuring your Model X to get self presenting door you have to choose the premium upgrade package at a cost $4,500. From what I understand they don't sell this as a standalone option. Since this package includes ventilated front and rear seats they would have to replace the seats at the same time therefore if the premium option is even available after delivery they would have to charge more than $4,500.

We recently had our car in for service and they provided a Model S P85. The S was nice but it didn't have the self presenting doors. We have really gotten spoiled with the self presenting doors and the ability to close all doors with the push of one button.

As others have indicated it is best to call Tesla and see if you can have this optioned installed.

5. electricity

electricity Member

I love my self presenting door. Its one of those features that seem gimmicky, but I love it. It also gives the car tons of personality to welcome you like that.

6. jsollender

jsollender Member

there is also a key fob action for cars without the PUP that opens doors from the fob. The action is ill-described, and sometimes it works, other time not. None of us seem to know how to activate it properly, and no one at SC can explain it either. It is only for the driver door. All doors close with pressing the brake pedal. Good luck!

7. dookie

dookie Member

Thanks everyone. It doesn't seem like the self presenting doors require any additional hardware. It appears more of an SW upgrade. Hopefully they will start selling SW only updates al la carte, like lubricous mode on the P90D

8. outie

outie Member

Isn't the ludicrous mode a retrofit upgrade? There's a smart fuse and the battery contactor that need to be replaced. It's not just a software like the AP unlock.

Self present door might have extra hardware too, like proximity sensor.

9. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

The Ludicrous mode fuse/contactor comes standard with a Performance models (e.g. P90D).
    The self-presenting door is all software. Some non-PUP members have reported briefly having this feature.