Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self presenting doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X is an ultra-luxury, high-performance vehicle. Cybertruck is a utilitarian, simplified and rugged vehicle.

That's the beauty of it, auto closing doors is a utilitarian function for 6 seater people carrier that CT also is. I would pay extra for that option.
Bed cover is motorized, frunk might be, sail box doors likely not. Unsure about liftgate. Why not auto closing doors, there's auto presenting doorhandles already.

How would you describe a truck that goes 0-60 in 2.9, a low performance vehicle?
Performance is more than just 0-60 time in a straight line. If I have to explain that to you, this argument is even pointless.

Judging by your logic, why would someone buy a sports car or a Ferrari? They should just get a Cybertruck instead. It’s the same performance.

/s

Reactions: coleAK
That's the beauty of it, auto closing doors is a utilitarian function for 6 seater people carrier that CT also is. I would pay extra for that option.
Bed cover is motorized, frunk might be, sail box doors likely not. Unsure about liftgate. Why not auto closing doors, there's auto presenting doorhandles already.

I don’t think you know what utilitarian means. Think military. Bare minimum. Would an army jeep have self presenting doors? That’s not what the Cybertruck is about, especially not at that low price point. Do you have any idea how complicated it is to open and close doors by themselves? Elon already regretted the complexity of Model X. Door actuators fail. They need sensors to open properly. They need sensors to close properly. You need multiple passive entry antennae to denote the key fob’s location relative to the car. You need the doors to be “sprung” enough that if they do close on someone, it doesn’t hurt them much. You need to make sure there is a manual release. Soft-close motors. Child lock? Pedestrian detection? Cross traffic detection?

Self presenting handles are not even close to self presenting doors, so please don’t say they’re in the same realm of complexity. The handles are literally little boxes with motors in them that pop the handle out. Model S has had it since the beginning and Tesla felt it was reliable enough to use as a parts-share.

I don’t think you know what utilitarian means. Think military. Bare minimum. Would an army jeep have self presenting doors? That’s not what the Cybertruck is about, especially not at that low price point. Do you have any idea how complicated it is to open and close doors by themselves? Elon already regretted the complexity of Model X. Door actuators fail. They need sensors to open properly. They need sensors to close properly. You need multiple passive entry antennae to denote the key fob’s location relative to the car. You need the doors to be “sprung” enough that if they do close on someone, it doesn’t hurt them much. You need to make sure there is a manual release. Soft-close motors. Child lock? Pedestrian detection? Cross traffic detection?

Self presenting handles are not even close to self presenting doors, so please don’t say they’re in the same realm of complexity. The handles are literally little boxes with motors in them that pop the handle out. Model S has had it since the beginning and Tesla felt it was reliable enough to use as a parts-share.

I'm confused, your arguing against self opening/closing doors because that's not utilitarian. But you want the CT to have self presenting door handles?

Also utilitarian means "useful and practical rather than attractive"

Last edited:
Performance is more than just 0-60 time in a straight line. If I have to explain that to you, this argument is even pointless.

Judging by your logic, why would someone buy a sports car or a Ferrari? They should just get a Cybertruck instead. It’s the same performance.

/s

Yeah you're right. Cybertruck performance sucks.

While we are on the subject, you are aware of the definition of performance, correct?

Why don't you look it up, and confirm your argument.

clip.... self presenting doors? ...clip

I have _only_ talked about self closing doors. Auto closing as in motorized closing, by button, like in Model X. I don't use self presenting doors as that is (for me) annoying. I dislike Model S self presenting door handles, which has been mechanically unreliable part in older models. Now new mechanism is likely more reliable.

With Model X Tesla has mostly done r&d for motored closing doors. CT doors are likely heavier so some changes are needed.

Motored door for frunk or bed cover are useful and very practical. Also "auto" closing doors give great utility. I really dislike the idea of losing that function by changing from X to CT.
(Sorry my non native English)

I have a Model X and not a fan of of the doors. If I could convert to manual I would do it. I'm always fighting with them.

You can turn off self presenting doors. But I don't think there's a way to completely turn off the motor.

I'd say mine work about half the time. The more I think about it, I'd prefer the self close over anything. Pressing the brake and having the door close works every time.

Having the door open for me works about half the time, and the other half makes it looks like I am arm wrestling my door :/

You can turn off self presenting doors. But I don't think there's a way to completely turn off the motor.

I'd say mine work about half the time. The more I think about it, I'd prefer the self close over anything. Pressing the brake and having the door close works every time.

Having the door open for me works about half the time, and the other half makes it looks like I am arm wrestling my door :/
Yep. That's how I feel too. i definitely miss auto-close more than auto-open when I drive our Model 3.

Reactions: Näky
OK I never ever considered self-anything doors. You all have to be a very small but passionate division...probably cuz most of us don't have what you have already.
And since it seems there is not a consensus.... leave it off, most of us don't give a *sugar* about it...maybe put it on the accessory list.

OK I never ever considered self-anything doors.

It's not as must have part as HVAC, but if you have not experienced it you don't know what you are missing. Plenty of things that are expected to be in the car/truck. Meny have different needs or prior experiences that are effecting their personal vision. I have an X and automatic doors, but only use close/open by button(/brake pedal). Auto close is fantastic feature. I would use frunk regularly if it was motored, now its used about 5 times per year.

Reactions: lafrisbee
OK I never ever considered self-anything doors. You all have to be a very small but passionate division...probably cuz most of us don't have what you have already.
And since it seems there is not a consensus.... leave it off, most of us don't give a *sugar* about it...maybe put it on the accessory list.
I'd be happy if it were included as an added option. Would gladly pay the premium price to get it either separately or bundled in a package.

Unfortunately I don't see Tesla doing this, as they have streamlined their process and minimized the number of possible configurations.

Reactions: Ehninger1212