Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self presenting driver door sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, about a month ago, my driver side door hit my co workers door when walking up and I thought it was a fluke. Yesterday it hit another car’s door as a was walking up so I have turned off the option. It’s not exactly a gentle tap. Has this happened to anyone else? Not sure if SC would take a look at this since it doesn’t happen all the time. Car is under warranty though.

I haven't seen that before so I'd say to have the SC take a look. How far is the adjacent cars? Drivers side or both sides? Which direction are you coming from? Might be good to give some info on your car (year, raven, performance, etc) so people with the same configuration can chime in. Good luck!

Absolutely worth asking the SC about! I'm guessing it left at least small scuffs on the inside of the door you can show.

If you're extra enterprising about it, see if you have a soft surface or pool noodle for the door to open into in order to intentionally replicate the behavior for on video for the SC to see. It seems like if they get a video or can replicate the issue, they are good about sorting these things under warranty.

Like they said above, is the sensor sensing at all?Check your screen...have them fix under warranty.
FB_IMG_1577619567601.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: RealDeal
I haven't seen that before so I'd say to have the SC take a look. How far is the adjacent cars? Drivers side or both sides? Which direction are you coming from? Might be good to give some info on your car (year, raven, performance, etc) so people with the same configuration can chime in. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. 2016 75D. Car was normal parking distance. About 3/4 full door opening. It's only on the driver side that I have seen. The two times that it happened was when I was coming in from the back.

I actually have a appointment for the shudder issue so I'll bring this up. Although they said they can't add any more items to my work order.

The FWD sensors do work.

What does the front driver side/passenger side have if it doesn't have sensors? Thanks...

We have lots of Teslas of all models at my work (mostly 3's though). This is part of why I avoid parking next to any Model X. However, I was originally more concerned about the FWDs dinging my car. I guess I should be concerned about either set of doors now.

I've had enough trouble with door dings on previous cars, I take many steps to avoid them now. (e.g parking further away, parking where there are many open spaces, not parking next to junk cars, etc.)

Last edited:
Took it to the service center. Advisor and tech said its normal for the door to hit an object and have seen it on other Xs. There is no fix. They even demonstrated on another car where they stood next to the door and opened it and it hit. So bizarre. I guess I'll be turning off the auto open if there's a car/object next to it.

The sensors are in the FWD - the front door has no sensor. A common failure mode is a diagonal parking space where the cars don't have full overlap next to each other so the FWD have no car next to them, but the front driver's door does. The driver's door thinks it is in a clear area based on the reading from the FWD and so opens fully. This situation also varies by the relative lengths of the two cars and how far they've pulled up into the space. With a long Model X next to a shorter compact car that pulled all the way to the wall, the FWD will likely not detect an obstacle.

Look at the relative placement of the doors of the convertible below for an example.

diagonal parking 2.jpg

Hi Whitecoat,

Another option for you may be to approach the car from the front...
The door partially opens until you pass it - Then it opens further... You are able to catch
the door before it can do any damage.

Extra steps for you. I think it's worth it to keep the feature active.

I always approach mine from the front while it's parked on a street.
I do not want the door to fly open and hit a passing car...
The first time I approached it from the rear in traffic - It was an oh s--t moment.
I do not do that any more.

Just a thought,

Shawn

The sensors are in the FWD - the front door has no sensor. A common failure mode is a diagonal parking space where the cars don't have full overlap next to each other so the FWD have no car next to them, but the front driver's door does. The driver's door thinks it is in a clear area based on the reading from the FWD and so opens fully.
View attachment 510850

Sorry Sir but that is Bull-poo. The Sensors in the FWD's are wide-angle Sensors and have absolutely no difficulty with such parking-situations. I never had a problem and I park like that every day at work. Even very small cars like Fiat 500's, which practically fit in our frunks for heaven sakes, are detected without any problems at all even when the FWD's are very generously clear of such cars. Hell, my MX would have battered my co-workers Fiat 500 to pulp by now, if your story would have any truth in it.

To all bullshitters out there: The Model X doors do NOT hit obstacles. It's more overly cautious than anything else. If the doors do hit stuff, there is a problem with a sensor and the car should be taken in. End.

I can call BS on the BS callers. In my case, 2016 X, the drivers door opened on its own a few times. It was always very unpredictable about opening distance or closing as it should. When people at work told me my door would open and close itself without anyone around and dinged their truck I thought they were messing with me. Frequently they’d tell me it’s on fire, so why would I believe them?

At a hotel Parking lot during a stay at the beach, fob very far away back in the room, I saw it. The drivers door opened, tapped the next car over, a few times and then stayed open. I took pictures, wrote down the time/location and service center saw some log anomaly in the body control module. Once they replaced that, my doors never opened on their own again unexpectedly.

Now As for the distance issue, my issues were related to the FWD sensor being loose and temperature swings. several visits Over 3 years to the SC telling me it doesn’t happen, not possible, can’t reproduce issues, or this is common, expect it once or twice, etc. I kept asking. once they did find it was lose and reapplied sticky tape. Still had issues with the FWD phantom obstacles that were magically not reproduceible at the SC. 3 months ago I was just ready to sell the Possessed car. And because “all Tesla’s do this every now and then” as they said, I was looking at other car brands that had working doors. My FWD issues were daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I took lots of pictures, time stamps, etc. they finally worked on the door sensor just to prove to me it was fine. They added extra sound deadening patches, foil backing, reglued the tripod sensor mounts, etc. it’s been great ever since.

the sensors and tripod are cheap parts. The car also does not log resonance echo. They only log complete failures. Could be as simple as some sticky tape or sound deadening patches to solve your issue. Also, bad LED or flourescent lights emit ultrasonic sounds that can slightly cause the sensor to misjudge calibration. There is a known issue with hot temperatures expanding contracting metal, plastic parts. That microscopic heat induced gap can cause resonance echo. The doors recalibrate every close I’m told. If the sensors are off slightly at calibration then later change position, they can give a bad reading. So don’t let people say it can’t be fixed.