Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Presenting Driver Side Door Not Opening Fully

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've noticed in my garage when i'm going to the car from the front to the driver side, the self presenting process will open the door a few inches and as I walk by and wait.. it just stays there, I have to either use the fob or manually open it. But when approaching from the back, it opens fully. Is there a way to tweak this as it's pretty annoying when i'm trying to get into the car while it's in my garage.

I've noticed this on my X as well but I've been driving a loaner for the past 2 weeks that has AP1 and walking from the front it will open a few inches but once I pass it and stand by the FWD the door then it will open fully. I'm not sure if this is part of the new updates recently but when my X went into SC I was running firmware that just converted into the new format 2017.28.xxxxx and it doesn't open fully after walking by it from the front like the AP1 does.

I've noticed this on my X as well but I've been driving a loaner for the past 2 weeks that has AP1 and walking from the front it will open a few inches but once I pass it and stand by the FWD the door then it will open fully. I'm not sure if this is part of the new updates recently but when my X went into SC I was running firmware that just converted into the new format 2017.28.xxxxx and it doesn't open fully after walking by it from the front like the AP1 does.
I hadn't a loaner X 100D with 300miles on it two weeks ago and the door opened fully. I'm hoping it's just gonna take some time. I talked to tesla today and they said to give it another week.

Just got back from SC and at first was told by the tech that it's normal for the front door not to open after you pass it because there are sensors in the FWD so I had them test it on another AP2 car that has the same firmware that I do (2017.38 XXXXX) and like magic it worked just fine! The door opened fully after you pass it from the front and even standing next to the FWD. He didn't know what else to tell me but another tesla rep said he will pull logs to see what went wrong and maybe can escalate it to engineers. so I'll report back once I have an update.

Reactions: Itsajyaknow
Just got back from SC and at first was told by the tech that it's normal for the front door not to open after you pass it because there are sensors in the FWD so I had them test it on another AP2 car that has the same firmware that I do (2017.38 XXXXX) and like magic it worked just fine! The door opened fully after you pass it from the front and even standing next to the FWD. He didn't know what else to tell me but another tesla rep said he will pull logs to see what went wrong and maybe can escalate it to engineers. so I'll report back once I have an update.
Mine still doesn’t work. :-(

I’m on 2017.34

So my local SC escalated this issue up to the engineers and they basically just told them to have me bring in the car and have the ultrasonic sensor checked. Did any of the recent update fixed your issue?

<------ Doesn't own a Tesla.

But this actually sounds like a "feature" so the door doesn't block your access to your car while parked in a parking spot. If it fully opened when you walked from the front (until the sensor told it it was close to another vehicle) you would have to close it slightly to walk past it.

I can think of a multitude of circumstances where this would be true.

The same cannot be said for approaching from the rear, where you can then slide in and don't need to get "past" the door.

(Again, I don't own, so I trust you all know it isn't working as designed, and the service center comments certainly support that. But it might be useful to operate that way.)

<------ Doesn't own a Tesla.

But this actually sounds like a "feature" so the door doesn't block your access to your car while parked in a parking spot. If it fully opened when you walked from the front (until the sensor told it it was close to another vehicle) you would have to close it slightly to walk past it.

I can think of a multitude of circumstances where this would be true.

The same cannot be said for approaching from the rear, where you can then slide in and don't need to get "past" the door.

(Again, I don't own, so I trust you all know it isn't working as designed, and the service center comments certainly support that. But it might be useful to operate that way.)

Reading is fundamental - I see it isn't opening up further once you all pass it.

Sorry for failing to understand the issue!

I have the same problem for @ 5 or so months:

AP1 - P100D MX

From the back driver door opens fine
From the front, door opens a bit I walk by and stop it doesn't open fully.
It used to.

I asked Tesla to look at it while doing 1 year maintenance, I don't think they fully translated above to their technician so I didn't push as I just wanted the car back.

Will likely ask again at 2 year maintenance - not a big deal for me - but will be before warranty expires in 3 years or so.

I am on latest firmware - I sense it is a sensor/hardware issue.

I did do the Xmas dance easter egg @ 4 times total - I worry that may have triggered something.

My X is currently at the SC and the rep told me they will start some kind of tool kit session or some sort and record their every move on how to fix this problem. So my X is kind of a "guinea pig" for them to find out what is going on and even the engineers have no ideas. I've only done the xmas dance once but I've had this problem since day 1. I'll report back once I hear back from the SC. At least I have a signature X as a loaner! :cool:

Got back my X from SC today and it's all fixed!!! :) So how it was explained to me is the module for the auto present door (located inside FWD) is an older version therefore it did not work with the newer vins, mine is 46xxx. Hope this will help all that is having the same issue!

Here is the description from the repair sheet:

Concern: Customer: my left front power door does not self-open to the correct angle.
Corrections: Module - Ultrasonic Door Sensors - LH
Verified customers concern. ultrasonic door sensor was found to be faulty. Ultrasonic door
sensor was removed and replaced.
Corrections: Carrier - Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - LH
Ultrasonic sensor carrier was removed and replaced.
Part Quantity
ASY, SENSOR CARRIER W/ADHESIVES, LEFT (1075447-00-C) 1
SENSOR, ULTRASONIC, RADIAL,COUPLING TAPE (1055890-00-E) 1
Parts Replaced or Added

Reactions: Itsajyaknow