TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Self Rebooting?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by St☰v☰, Oct 12, 2019.

1. St☰v☰

St☰v☰ Member

My 3 just downloaded 32.12.2 and afterwards rebooted itself. It may have happened in the past, I just don't recall it happening.In the past I would reboot it manually after each update. If it rebooted itself, is there still a need to manually reboot?

32.12.2 Reboot.jpg

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

My motto is: "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

I have never manually reboot until there's a problem. And that's my practice since 2012 through 3 different Tesla models.

• Like x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Over my almost 6 years of Tesla ownership, and probably over 30 firmware updates, I don’t recall ever manually rebooting my cars after an update. I don’t understand why you would do that.
    Not in my opinion.

4. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Reboot because after some update there are some quarks. I have experience a few of it.

5. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Pretty sure the reboot is part of the install of every update, historically. I mean, it's a full software update!

6. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Exactly. There’s no such thing as a firmware update without a reboot. People who think they’re doing something productive by rebooting a second time right after would have the same exact results rubbing a lucky rock.

• Like x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

“Quarks” are present in all matter. By definition. ;)

But seriously...there is no reason to do a reboot immediately after a firmware update as a matter of practice. Yes, a reboot will do no harm. But it is not required.

8. St☰v☰

St☰v☰ Member

I decided to leave well enough alone and see what, if anything, happens with this latest revision. Hopefully it will fix some of the issues I've had since 32.2.2 was downloaded.

9. St☰v☰

St☰v☰ Member

And "Quarks" well into the future :D apparently...

Quark.jpg

10. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

I always do a reboot after an update. This reboot near the end of the update isn't new or news, it's always been a part of the update process. Why I still reboot is that in the absence of console logs to see what's actually happened, all I can assume is that this reboot happened near the end of the update process, not necessarily right at the end. Quite often updates on other devices still have little things that move into place, setting that get finalized, etc after that reboot. Maybe that kind of thing doesn't happen with our tesla's, or maybe it does - we don't know. So I do another reboot just to play it safe. And for what it's worth, after every update I see people reporting various little problems, that are fixed by rebooting - I don't have those little problems though. 32 updates in the last 16 months!

11. MentalNomad

MentalNomad Member

Yes, the software update always includes a reboot.

And I used to always reboot after an update, because my phone key would often be dicey after an update until I rebooted... however, that hasn't been a problem any more in 2019.