Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Referral 2000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
Adding another car this year.

If you’re an existing 3 owner and you self refer do you get 2000 added to your Tesla account? Is it 2000 per Tesla account, regardless of cars on the account? Or is it 1000 for the referring car and 1000 for the new car; even if both registered to the same Tesla account?

Adding another car this year.

If you’re an existing 3 owner and you self refer do you get 2000 added to your Tesla account? Is it 2000 per Tesla account, regardless of cars on the account? Or is it 1000 for the referring car and 1000 for the new car; even if both registered to the same Tesla account?

Yes you can. 1,000 on each car.

I purchased a 2020X in 12/19 and then self-referred for my 3 in 3/20. I DID NOT receive 2000 miles. Only 1000.

Doesn't the 2020 Model X have unlimited supercharging included? If that's the case, that's why you only got 1000 miles total. It's 1000 for each car, not 2000 to one and zero to the other. The can't credit you supercharging miles on a vehicle that has free unlimited supercharging.

If you would have bought two Model 3's, then each one would have gotten 1000 free supercharging miles.

Doesn't the 2020 Model X have unlimited supercharging included? If that's the case, that's why you only got 1000 miles total. It's 1000 for each car, not 2000 to one and zero to the other. The can't credit you supercharging miles on a vehicle that has free unlimited supercharging.

If you would have bought two Model 3's, then each one would have gotten 1000 free supercharging miles.

You are right -- I was told I would get 2 entries into the "Founder's sweepstakes" for the self-referral though. I also do have another referral (another member on here) for a Model 3 in March 2020, but didn't receive any free supercharging miles for that. Not sure who to contact about this just to even clarify what happened.

Self referral from my existing M3 for a new M3 only got me 1000 miles on my account. Both M3 are on the same the same Tesla.Com account so maybe that was the problem. The interesting this is that the 1000 miles added is now shared on both cars. I doesn’t appear the remaining miles on he first car is tied to its VIN or the new 1000 tired to the second VIN. The miles in the lot box are somehow now shared between both cars. As mentioned it must be since both cars are on the same account their was not 1000 miles on both sides since the referee and buyer are on the same Tesla.com account. But the miles do appear to be shared. So mixed bag. Better offer using someone else’s referral and two people get a benefit.

From my understanding, I ordered a LR+ Model X with my M3 referral, and received 10000 miles for my MX. You won’t receive for the existing car, but you get benefits that you can find on the mobile app when you click the treasure chest or on Tesla’s website

Not sure where else to point this but this seems to be the latest thread on this topic. I self-referred when buying my Model Y in Canada. I only got 1,500 KMs not 3,000. Response from the referral team was:

"In review of this account all Referral awards are correct, self Referrals earn the regular 1500km per the limits of the program as it is only one account so one grant of km."

Push back? It seems some of you above did get to double-dip

Not sure where else to point this but this seems to be the latest thread on this topic. I self-referred when buying my Model Y in Canada. I only got 1,500 KMs not 3,000. Response from the referral team was:

"In review of this account all Referral awards are correct, self Referrals earn the regular 1500km per the limits of the program as it is only one account so one grant of km."

Push back? It seems some of you above did get to double-dip

No Tesla is correct. I tried it once before a year month back figuring whats the harm. It did not double dip either.

You should have used another members code. At least you both would have gotten miles and Tesla would be paying out to both instead of just one.

If they allowed it in the past, which is doubtful but possible, they closed that loop.

I'm the first of anyone I know to own a Tesla but was debating on using a referral link of say a youtuber or tesla blogger. That being said, threads with this title and the posts above seem to support that self-referrals do work hence why I tried doing it.

Shucks

No Tesla is correct. I tried it once before a year month back figuring whats the harm. It did not double dip either.

You should have used another members code. At least you both would have gotten miles and Tesla would be paying out to both instead of just one.

If they allowed it in the past, which is doubtful but possible, they closed that loop.

Tesla appears to have changed things based on what some of you report above in that you can no longer double-dip. For what it's worth, my experiences:
-Own a Model 3 purchased 5/2018
-Bought an X in 6/2019 when Tesla was offering 5k miles. Self-referred and gained 10k miles into the account, shared across both cars. (So I did get the double-dip at that point)
-Bought a new 3 in 6/2020 that came with free supercharging for a year. Self-referred and gained 1k miles added to the remaining miles from the prior referrals in the account (no double-dip). This also extended the expiration of ALL of my remaining miles (were due to expire 6/30/20, extended now to 6/2022).

If my old 3 or my X supercharge, the energy is deducted from my shared mileage basket. If my new 3 supercharges, no miles are deducted (for now).

If you log into www.tesla.com/teslaaccount, you can see in the car details the status of free unlimited supercharging for that car, and in the History section the remaining balance in kWh for your account (shared among any vehicles without unlimited free supercharging):

upload_2020-9-15_9-40-34.png

upload_2020-9-15_9-41-26.png

And for the curious, Tesla uses 400 Wh/mi as their calculation for this process, and you actually receive 400 kWh with each referral. I imagine that's to ensure that even Model X vehicles in bad weather get approximately the miles they 'deserve,' but in practical terms this means that for most people most of the time, you'll actually get significantly more usable miles than you've been promised. (As a rough estimate, your typical Model 3 uses ~230-250 Wh/mile, Model S ~275-300 Wh/mi, Model X ~320-350 Wh/mi)

Reactions: uisynot