TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Self-referring with new P3D referral program (order already placed)

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by sc123, Aug 3, 2018.

1. sc123

sc123 Member

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to apply a (self-)referral code to an existing P3D order? This would be for the case of a current owner who has a P3D on order (and the order was placed before the recent change to add P3Ds to the referral program...).

Thanks!

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

If you don't have any other referrals, self referral is a bit of a waste. Some people are one away from getting Powerwall, worth $5500, but self referring will get you a HPWC worth $500.

I'm sure if you use the code of someone needing one more for a Powerwall, they'll give you a HPWC (or some other referral prize) and maybe even the next referral they get.

3. sc123

sc123 Member

No other referrals in the current program ... but I wouldn't consider getting an HPWC to be "a bit of a waste" ...

• Like x 3
  4. ba2002

ba2002 Member

I haven't heard of anyone getting it done - but I would like it for the HPWC as well....

5. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

call your sales advisor and have them apply your code

6. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Don't have one?

7. sc123

sc123 Member

Any orders (up until recently) would have been web orders, no sales person involved. I actually pinged my OA (who sold us our last car) at the time of my order to see if he could place the order (so he would get credit for it), and he said at that time (in June) they they had no way to place Model3 orders yet. So I placed it on the web. I'm going to check in again with him now to see if he knows how it can be added.

8. Benihect

Benihect Member

I was just trying to add a referral to my order which I originally placed in July for AWD but changed on August 1st to Performance due to the recent announcement of supercharging and I was already going back and forth on Performance.

Customer Service at Tesla told me that prior to August 1st no orders qualified for referral. Essentially only orders originally placed on August 1st or after are the ones that qualify for referrals.

They did confirm all orders placed prior to August 1st will get the supercharging without referral.

9. mikevbf

mikevbf Active Member

Maybe someone else reading this thread is in the same position. Provided you and other person have a referral code to give out, you could just agree to refer each other so both of you get one referral.

10. mikevbf

mikevbf Active Member

Actually what he said. I did not read original post carefully enough.

11. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I thought that existing vehicle got grandfathered and didn't need referrals.

12. sc123

sc123 Member

The benefit of adding the referral is not on the refer-ee side (i.e. the free supercharging), but rather on the refer-er side (i.e. a free HPWC that I could put to good use).

• Like x 1
  13. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Practically all the orders pre-referral code would have

Lifetime premium data.

If you tried to mess with the order to apply a code, wouldnt it mess that up?

14. Benihect

Benihect Member

This is where it was that I was told that no order placed for Model 3 Performance prior to August 1st qualified for the benefits for the Refer-er. The referral program for M3 Performance kicked off on August 1st. But I'm going to try and talk to advisor when I finally get a vin assigned. The referral benefits right now are the least of my concern. Get me a car

• Like x 1
  15. MacGreiner

Any updates? Im about to order a p3 (current tesla owner) and believed you couldnt use your own referral?

16. preilly44

preilly44 Member

I used my own referral for my 2nd S with no issues.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

This is what they warned me when I changed my order. I self referred, but that change occurred on the 8/10 so, I should be good there....the question is whether or not I keep my premium connectivity since that was the original order date....

18. TD_alseT

TD_alseT Member

I was told that Premium Connectivity could be honored, if I upgraded to the performance model.

19. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

If it was a simple configuration change, then sure. I had received my VIN already though and was about to have a RWD delivered so I was much further along the process. I was lucky to even have the opportunity to cancel my order.

Configuration changes after VIN assignment (lose premium connectivity)