Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Servicing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
So, I've always been pretty lazy when it comes to my cars and ended up paying fortunes to garages that more often than not, ripped me off.

Want to take a different approach with my Tesla! Which I intend to keep for a long time and therefore want to maintain as well as I possibly can.

Been googling and youtubing like crazy and annually servicing my brakes doesn't seem like an issue. Once I figure out how to jack my car up on a sloping driveway without it rolling down the hill of course...

Filters and what not are no problem to change.

The one thing I can't find any information about is actually doing a brake fluid flush. It looks relatively simple on other cars, with the right equipment to make life easier, but is this something that can actually be done by the user with a model 3?

Brake fluid replacement shouldn't be any different on the Model 3, you just access the reservoir in the frunk and remove the brake lines from the calipers as per most cars. Get a friend to pump the brakes or use one of automatic bleeding kits.

They suggest testing the fluid every two years, would be surprised if you need to change more than every four years.

The only serviceable item I can see that I won't be doing myself is the battery coolant.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Brake fluid replacement shouldn't be any different on the Model 3, you just access the reservoir in the frunk and remove the brake lines from the calipers as per most cars. Get a friend to pump the brakes or use one of automatic bleeding kits.

They suggest testing the fluid every two years, would be surprised if you need to change more than every four years.

The only serviceable item I can see that I won't be doing myself is the battery coolant.

I had vague recollections of someone saying it needed to be done by Tesla to get the valves to open or something, that was a long time ago though and I can't remember where I read that.

As for battery coolant. The Tesla sales rep told me the more recent model 3's have a sealed unit so there is no battery coolant to top up, so thats a bonus.

I thought battery coolant was sealed for life on all 3s?

Regarding the cabin air filter, I had a look at doing this, with a view to replacing the standard filter with one of these: Activated Carbon HEPA Air Filter Kit - Tesla Model 3 Y - EV Accessories Ltd. in the hope that it would reduce the smell of smoke coming into the cabin.

After half an hour of trying to get access to it I gave up. It really is a PITA thing to get to on the RHD Model 3.

I thought that brake fluid life was now at least 5 years, maybe more, rather than something changed every couple of years. I can't recall ever having been charged for changing it on any car I've owned in the past 20 years or so, but then the oldest would have been just over 5 years old.

I had vague recollections of someone saying it needed to be done by Tesla to get the valves to open or something, that was a long time ago though and I can't remember where I read that
Could well be that a small section of the lines split off through the ABS pump. I had this on my last BMW, the valves could be opened using software (ISTA).

I suspect/hope that by the time the fluids requires a flush that there'll be Tesla specific software available for home mechanics, like Carly, INPA, ISTA etc. If not then it'll be a propotionately small amount of fluid that you won't be able to change yourself.

As for battery coolant. The Tesla sales rep told me the more recent model 3's have a sealed unit so there is no battery coolant to top up, so thats a bonus.

I thought battery coolant was sealed for life on all 3s?

Sealed for life means sealed for the Tesla's expected life time of the part, which can be considerably less than your own expectations.

The ZF auto gearbox on my last car was sealed for life and had a expected life from BMW of 100k miles yet the manufacturer recommended an oil change every 80k miles.

Most won't keep a car that long to have to worry about it but generally where fluids are involved, they require replacement at some point.

Please leave the brakes alone!

If you’re not sure what you’re doing, I suspect messing with a safety of life system like brakes may not be a tremendous idea.
I can’t imagine that a garage will charge you a lot for that, Shirley?

If you're not comfortable doing it then please use the services of a professional.

I've been servicing my own cars for a little over 10 years now, it's a hobby of mine and I intend to continue it with the Tesla, knowledge permitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACarneiro
I've done brakes before on different cars, but that was years ago when things were simpler. My newer cars I always let Toyota do it (or not more realistically) because I wanted them to service it for warranty reasons.

As I've said, sick of being ripped off. Last 5 services at different garages they all make the phone call telling you the car needs special oil or recommending an engine flush or some garbage that just is not needed.

I'm just fed up.

Most local garages, including national chains, will do a brake fluid change for about £45.
So after you factored in the cost of the fluid, the labour cost is minimal.

I bought a DIY test pen to check my brake fluid so I’m not changing it every 2 years for the sake of it.

However, doesn’t the brake pins need to be removed, cleaned and re-greased every two years?

Yes the cabin filter are PITA on RHD models but still doable with a bit of patience? Given that Tesla sells the filters online via their website suggests that DIY is possible.

I've done brakes before on different cars, but that was years ago when things were simpler. My newer cars I always let Toyota do it (or not more realistically) because I wanted them to service it for warranty reasons.

As I've said, sick of being ripped off. Last 5 services at different garages they all make the phone call telling you the car needs special oil or recommending an engine flush or some garbage that just is not needed.

I'm just fed up.

Do It Yourself - Model 3

Most things don't really need changing which is why Tesla don't sell service plans anymore.
Things to look out for:
Brake fluid check every 2 years
Brake pads and discs should last longer because of regen
Cabin filter replacement
Wipers replacement
Wiper fluid top up
Tyre changes when out of tread
Replace 12V battery in about 5 years or so

Most local garages, including national chains, will do a brake fluid change for about £45.
So after you factored in the cost of the fluid, the labour cost is minimal.

I bought a DIY test pen to check my brake fluid so I’m not changing it every 2 years for the sake of it.

However, doesn’t the brake pins need to be removed, cleaned and re-greased every two years?

Yes the cabin filter are PITA on RHD models but still doable with a bit of patience? Given that Tesla sells the filters online via their website suggests that DIY is possible.

Don't think the pins need to be regressed every 2 years. Also might as well replace the pads if you were going to do that.

Don't think the pins need to be regressed every 2 years. Also might as well replace the pads if you were going to do that.

The pins will need to be removed to get the pads out, so good idea to clean them and give them a touch of an appropriate brake lubricant before they go back in. Good practice too is to clean the callipers and pads (short) edges where the pad edges run against the callipers and re-grease with an appropriate brake lubricant. See here -

Not unusual (in the old days, at least,) to put a dab of copper grease on the back of the pads too - not needed on the video above however as it looks like the Brembo pads have anti-squeal shims attached.

Reactions: Adopado
Brakes. Mains electrics. Gas.
If you have to ask how to do it then you aren't qualified to do it and you don't have the required knowledge.

I'll have a go at most things, but if it's in the realms of killing myself or someone else if a mistake is made then I pay for someone to do it.