TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Self-Serving Philanthropy: Donate an HPWC to the University of Your Choice

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by retinadoc, Dec 28, 2013.

1. retinadoc

retinadoc Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Westchester NY
    My son was just admitted to Carnegie Mellon University:smile:. Looking at the Supercharger Map it quickly became evident to me that having a HPWC on campus would make drop off in the fall and subsequent road trip visits far easier. CMU has a facility specifically for EV's called the Electric Garage. They were very receptive to having a donated HPWC and in fact one of CMU's Robotics Profs involved in the EV Garage is a Tesla owner. Tesla was nice enough to give me a price break on the HPWC.

This idea seems like a real win for everyone. For Tesla it is great PR and exposure. Perhaps they could even formalize such a program? Having a HPWC College Network would be another small building block in realizing Elon's goal of having EV's become the cars of the future.
  2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Feb 6, 2011
    Columbia River Gorge
    There is a long history of Roadster owners donating HPCs in convenient locations. Glad to see the tradition continues!
  3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nov 10, 2011
    I have a fuzzy recollection of Roadsters being able to use Model S HPWC. Was this purely a Tony contraption, or something more widely available?
  4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Austin, TX
    They have just formalized such a program-- destination charging. Offering free or discounted HPWC (depending on the quantity, I think) to destinations such as hotels and resorts:
    Destination Charging

A recent post said if you have a suggested location they should contact, email the team at [email protected]
  5. GSP

GSP Member

Dec 28, 2007
    hsharp is working on a CAN style adapter so that Roadsters can use Model S HPWCs. It should be available when he has finished perfecting it.

I think that ingineer built a one off adapter and said he will not be making more.