Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell 2014 Model S before 8 Year warranty expires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an early 2014 Model S with 100K miles that I love but I am not sure if it's wise to keep it past the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty. I have had some repairs done every year for the last 4 years since the warranty expired. The costs have been < 600/year for those repairs so far. I am the original owner, and until recently I thought I would keep this car forever.

Most of the regular maintenance items except the battery have been addressed in this car. Repairs or replacements have included 1 drive train replacement, 1 screen replacement, LTE upgrade, all 4 door handles, trunk latch, rear axel/hubs, 12 v batteries etc.

What would you do? I would be looking at either a 3 or Y performance models as replacement.

I have an early 2014 Model S with 100K miles that I love but I am not sure if it's wise to keep it past the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty. I have had some repairs done every year for the last 4 years since the warranty expired. The costs have been < 600/year for those repairs so far. I am the original owner, and until recently I thought I would keep this car forever.

Most of the regular maintenance items except the battery have been addressed in this car. Repairs or replacements have included 1 drive train replacement, 1 screen replacement, LTE upgrade, all 4 door handles, trunk latch, rear axel/hubs, 12 v batteries etc.

What would you do? I would be looking at either a 3 or Y performance models as replacement.
I would never recommend owning a Tesla outside of warranty. 10 years after the first Model S rolled off the line, a replacement battery is still $22K.

With used vehicle prices being what they are, it does not make a lot of sense to hold onto it.

10 years after the first Model S rolled off the line, a replacement battery is still $22K.
Or ~half that for a remanufactured pack with a 4 year / 50k warranty.

Or ~half that for a remanufactured pack with a 4 year / 50k warranty.

Thanks for linking that post. So the latest cost is around 10K for a refurb battery replacement! That may prompt me to keep it..

Thanks for linking that post. So the latest cost is around 10K for a refurb battery replacement! That may prompt me to keep it..
Did you actually read the persons post who paid $10K for the remanufactured battery?

If I had to do it over again I probably would have sold my car with 1 year left on battery warranty. Live and learn.

I just feel really disappointed that I am paying 11k for an 8 year old 85kwh battery that will probably have the performance of a 70. Also frustrated that I am paying 11k for a used item but can't get any info about its past use, capacity, or performance. I just have to pay and cross my fingers that it will be a decent battery.

In the past when I briefly considered the possibility of needing a battery replacement, I assumed that 10-12k would get me a battery that would perform as well as mine did when it was new, or maybe better. Now I'm paying 11k to get a battery that I'm sure will have the batterygate/chargegate limitations that I have been dealing with for the past 2 years.”

Did you actually read the persons post who paid $10K for the remanufactured battery?
Yes, I did. I get his concerns, but I only use my S locally at this point, so lack of auto pilot, slow charging etc doesn't bother my anymore. If I can get a 4yr/50K warranty on a rebuild battery for 10-12K, I think I can live with those limitations. It's definitely not ideal but it's lot better than spending twice the $$ on a new battery. My dilemma is really spend the 35k+ now to "upgrade" to the Perf Y or roll the dice with the S... I think the EV battery/tech advances in the next 3-4 years will be significant, so rather spend my $$ then :)

Yes, I did. I get his concerns, but I only use my S locally at this point, so lack of auto pilot, slow charging etc doesn't bother my anymore. If I can get a 4yr/50K warranty on a rebuild battery for 10-12K, I think I can live with those limitations. It's definitely not ideal but it's lot better than spending twice the $$ on a new battery. My dilemma is really spend the 35k+ now to "upgrade" to the Perf Y or roll the dice with the S... I think the EV battery/tech advances in the next 3-4 years will be significant, so rather spend my $$ then :)
That’s the thing. It’s not $35K to upgrade to a Model 3/Y.

If you sell your car, that’s a minimum of $30K right there. Plus the $11K you would have spent for a renewed battery. That puts you right around the cost of an entry level Model 3. Then you have a new vehicle with a new battery and newer technology and the worry factor is gone.

Up to you how you want to spend your money though.

That’s the thing. It’s not $35K to upgrade to a Model 3/Y.

If you sell your car, that’s a minimum of $30K right there. Plus the $11K you would have spent for a renewed battery. That puts you right around the cost of an entry level Model 3. Then you have a new vehicle with a new battery and newer technology and the worry factor is gone.

Up to you how you want to spend your money though.

Appreciate the input. I was just glad to hear that there is a less expensive option. I have about 6 months to decide

Id personally sell the car now/soon for the top of the KBB private party sale. WIll sell fast on cl or ebay in this market. I'd replace with a new Y or 3 with full warranty.

Thanks. I had hoped that by now Tesla would have reduced the replacement cost for the batteries. I am hesitating because for me, the Y or 3 doesn't represent a significant upgrade and I still love my car!

Financially, it most probably makes sense to sell it and buy a new 3 or Y. You'll see what the market offers you.
But then indeed, the S, 3 and Y are different cars. Different looks, different cargo space, ...

Your 2014 has a big frunk like mine. On a daily basis, it now keeps my golf bag, which is nice, but not essential. Where it actually shines is on our vacations: no need for roof rack anymore, all fits nicely inside the car, and the kids have the back seat for themselves, no need to pile luggage at their feet or whatnot.

I'm also on the fence, but the thing is... I find the S much more good looking. And it's probably still the best driving experience for me (I prefer RWD sensation).
In a near future, the kids will have left our home to build their own, and at that time, cargo will no longer matter.
Come to think about it... I don't know yet what I will do. Pride is a sin, but I guess I must recon it also comes down to being proud of having been part, very modestly, of the Tesla journey from early on.

Financially, it most probably makes sense to sell it and buy a new 3 or Y. You'll see what the market offers you.
But then indeed, the S, 3 and Y are different cars. Different looks, different cargo space, ...

Your 2014 has a big frunk like mine. On a daily basis, it now keeps my golf bag, which is nice, but not essential. Where it actually shines is on our vacations: no need for roof rack anymore, all fits nicely inside the car, and the kids have the back seat for themselves, no need to pile luggage at their feet or whatnot.

I'm also on the fence, but the thing is... I find the S much more good looking. And it's probably still the best driving experience for me (I prefer RWD sensation).
In a near future, the kids will have left our home to build their own, and at that time, cargo will no longer matter.
Come to think about it... I don't know yet what I will do. Pride is a sin, but I guess I must recon it also comes down to being proud of having been part, very modestly, of the Tesla journey from early on.

You nailed it. I love the design of S, handling of RWD, prefer the cargo space + jumper seats for kids. It's been a great car for the last 8 years. I don't like SUVs, but need the cargo space at the moment. Honestly, I wish I had few more years to make this decision like you.

Conflicted on this as well. My 2015 model S is in the service center for the last two weeks due to HV battery failure pending replacement for the last two weeks and just anxious about deciding whether or not to sell it after the repair. But I do love the car too...it's a hard choice to make.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO

Same here. I think that I will hang on to the 2014 P85+. Bought a Y for the wife. Nice car, but I like the P85+ much more.

Reactions: AustinP
As of now I plan on keeping my 2015 P85D beyond warranty coverage. I considered trading it in plus cash for a new 3/Y but I just don't find them very compelling. I've test driven the performance model 3's and Y's several times but I just don’t enjoy the them as much. Ride quality is lacking, steering wheel feels like a toy, and they’re not as good looking as the S. It's an unpopular opinion but I prefer the boat-like feeling of an S/X. I'll probably reconsider this in 2023 when my S warranty expires and hopefully it can be replaced with a CT.