Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell 2014 Model S before 8 Year warranty expires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have your exact setup, and 80k miles as well. No issues but the problem is the what if? I'm not convinced or willing to drop 20k plus tax.

I'll keep an eye out for wk057 announcement, hopefully someone posts a link here so we can see as well. Unfortunately I'm in california so it would be difficult for me to get any work done without $1000-2000 for shipping? Maybe more. Also, I need to look into model 3 battery replacement, will this be a similar fix available for those models?

Thanks!

We can't do much about the shipping costs, unfortunately, since work is still only going to be done at our location, but we're getting the potential repair/replacement cost down significantly (potentially even less than shipping).

There's something like 25,000 Model S out of warranty already, with another 20,000+ going out of warranty in the next 6 months.... so having a solid battery service available for these vehicles is going to be crucial.

A ton of people on here angling to get a great deal on all these dumped 2014 and 2015 Teslas? Lol
I am keeping my car. Free SC and connectivity, AP1 which works amazingly well for my use, and so far solid battery with 8% degradation with 128k miles. Current motor has 80k miles and is fine.
Quick question, how often do you run it to the 20% range? Just curious about your driving habits.

I have an X and a 3. My advice is don't try to replace an S with a 3 or Y, it's likely you will be disappointed by the harsh ride quality and blah interior.
You should replace a 2014 S with one of these:
May2018 or newer S : Has MCU2 and in-house Tesla vegan seats (significantly better than old cracking leather, and padding under leather was just average, even with next-gen).
May2019 or newer Raven S : Has smoother ride quality and 15 percent range bump.
Austin Texas Model Y Refresh : But only if they announce a new suspension, similar to new suspension in refresh S.

Final note : the basic autopilot was not standard until May 2019, make SURE you get that. And even with base autopilot, it will NOT come with autopilot lane changes on freeway like AP1 did. You will need EAP or FSD to get that feature. Good luck!

I have an X and a 3. My advice is don't try to replace an S with a 3 or Y, it's likely you will be disappointed by the harsh ride quality and blah interior.
You should replace a 2014 S with one of these:
May2018 or newer S : Has MCU2 and in-house Tesla vegan seats (significantly better than old cracking leather, and padding under leather was just average, even with next-gen).
May2019 or newer Raven S : Has smoother ride quality and 15 percent range bump.
Austin Texas Model Y Refresh : But only if they announce a new suspension, similar to new suspension in refresh S.

Final note : the basic autopilot was not standard until May 2019, make SURE you get that. And even with base autopilot, it will NOT come with autopilot lane changes on freeway like AP1 did. You will need EAP or FSD to get that feature. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I test drove model 3 and model s and as luck would have it, the better deal was the S. Night and day difference with ride quality but I just can't afford the newer models right now. Ultimately I'm waiting for cybertruck but that won't be available to me for 2-3 years realistically so I just need something to tide me over until then. I prefer purchasing depreciated so definitely used but still almost everything with more range on the y s or x range 100d is at least 50k but most want 65-85k. Also eap or fsd is required for me since I do think tesla is making quick advances and they may actually make huge progress in the next 2 years. That can only help resale value. I'm torn on selling the 2014 p85 because the current ap1 is sufficient, if it weren't for the POSSIBILITY that the battery could die on me I'd keep it til 2025. Should I roll the dice?

I have an early 2014 Model S with 100K miles that I love but I am not sure if it's wise to keep it past the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty. I have had some repairs done every year for the last 4 years since the warranty expired. The costs have been < 600/year for those repairs so far. I am the original owner, and until recently I thought I would keep this car forever.

Most of the regular maintenance items except the battery have been addressed in this car. Repairs or replacements have included 1 drive train replacement, 1 screen replacement, LTE upgrade, all 4 door handles, trunk latch, rear axel/hubs, 12 v batteries etc.

What would you do? I would be looking at either a 3 or Y performance models as replacement.
Here's something I don't think anyone mentioned above. Consider this: The 2014 Model S was a GREAT "model year" in terms of production. As a long time Model S owner and connoisseur with a 2013 P85 (sold), 2014 P85D (now wife's daily driver), 2017 P100DL (my daily driver), and a 2021 Plaid (eye candy), I can honestly say that the materials and build quality of the 2014 Model S we have is exceptional. The 2013 P85 was bad bad, but hey, they were still figuring things out. I expected that. Then the jump in quality when the P85D's came out, wow. In DIRECT comparison--granted, with a very limited sample size--the 2017 P100DL feels lighter, the seats aren't as bolstered or comfortable, the doors don't thud close like the 2014 P85D, and the P100DL has a ton of little rattles and annoying quirks not found in our 2014 P85D. I have seriously considered selling the 2017 P100DDL and NOT the 2014 P85D. I probably will trade in the 2017 once the Rivian R1S is readily available. Plan on keeping the P85D indefinitely. I still drive the P85D any chance I get. Of course the the newer Model S's we have are quicker and all, but I'm ATTACHED to my P85D. I've upgraded its MCU to MCU2, replaced the touchscreen, replaced the windshield, and had other little things like 12v battery or driver door handle replacements over the years, but all of this under the original warranty or more recently, with the 8 year extended service agreement. I'm confident in the P85D now. The 2017 P100DL strikes me as a problem waiting to happen...

So long story short, be careful because you might be sorely disappointed when you don't have your 2014 Model S anymore. Make sure you really like what you get to replace it if you can.

Considering the "repair" methods employed by others don't actually fix anything at all (and publicly proven not to last, see other posts), I'd say the margin between methods is infinite. :cool:

To that end, we've got a product launch at 057 Tech scheduled for this weekend (might be a little late depending on some last minute logistics, but that's the target for now) that will pretty much solve the issue of out of warranty Model S battery failures in a very cost effective way (as low as about 90% less than Tesla's replacement costs). I'll be doing a vendor post about it here on TMC around that time, as well as noting on Twitter and such. So, just keep an eye out.

This is great! I am looking forward to the announcement.

Reactions: David.85D and wk057
I drive a 2015 S85 RWD (86k miles) with upgraded MCU2 and a recently replaced drive unit. I honestly love it except for the minor annoyance of supercharging taking longer than it should. But I find myself in the same boat. Having the drive unit unexpectedly die on me spooked me a bit. So I'm following this thread and looking forward to the announcement mentioned above.

Reactions: AustinP
Came on here because the Coolant is Low message just popped up the other day and stumbled up on this thread. The car is out of warranty and the battery warranty expires in April. Had the same thoughts about selling before though leaning more to keep for alot of the same reasons as others on here, aesthetics of the S, nothing else currently available to switch to (that I like), free supercharging (albeit slower), connectivity. Didn't know about the refurb pack but 10k is a little easier to swallow especially if it comes warranty, plus more 3rd options tipping more towards keep. In the short term, gotta wait for it to get a bit warmer to check/top up the coolant level.

Came on here because the Coolant is Low message just popped up the other day and stumbled up on this thread. The car is out of warranty and the battery warranty expires in April. Had the same thoughts about selling before though leaning more to keep for alot of the same reasons as others on here, aesthetics of the S, nothing else currently available to switch to (that I like), free supercharging (albeit slower), connectivity. Didn't know about the refurb pack but 10k is a little easier to swallow especially if it comes warranty, plus more 3rd options tipping more towards keep. In the short term, gotta wait for it to get a bit warmer to check/top up the coolant level.

If it's under warranty, why not have tesla check your coolant level and your battery at the same time? I'm also curious if that option is available for a refurb pack, but wasn't sure if that came with warranty. I considered a model 3 and a Y, 3 is way too small to replace my S, and the Y is incredibly expensive and might have a little higher trunk space but definitely more narrow so not sure it's really that much more space. I'm leaning towards keeping the S now, roll the dice, maybe the battery won't fail in the next 2.5 years before CT? Of course, what will our resale value be at that point?

I forget how much cross-posting I'm allowed... but hopefully the admins will give me a little grace considering how little I use my vendor account:

If it's under warranty, why not have tesla check your coolant level and your battery at the same time? I'm also curious if that option is available for a refurb pack, but wasn't sure if that came with warranty. I considered a model 3 and a Y, 3 is way too small to replace my S, and the Y is incredibly expensive and might have a little higher trunk space but definitely more narrow so not sure it's really that much more space. I'm leaning towards keeping the S now, roll the dice, maybe the battery won't fail in the next 2.5 years before CT? Of course, what will our resale value be at that point?

The car limited warranty is expired but the battery warranty is good for another 2 months. Not sure the coolant message would be covered by the battery warranty. Perhaps can try to swing it. Knock on wood, haven't had any issues with the battery. wk057 battery extension plan does tip the scale more on the keep side. Will have to check out some more including the ship to/from if needed.

The car limited warranty is expired but the battery warranty is good for another 2 months. Not sure the coolant message would be covered by the battery warranty. Perhaps can try to swing it. Knock on wood, haven't had any issues with the battery. wk057 battery extension plan does tip the scale more on the keep side. Will have to check out some more including the ship to/from if needed.
Ok please update us, I am seriously considering keeping mine as well and getting the extension for piece of mind.

Here's something I don't think anyone mentioned above. Consider this: The 2014 Model S was a GREAT "model year" in terms of production. As a long time Model S owner and connoisseur with a 2013 P85 (sold), 2014 P85D (now wife's daily driver), 2017 P100DL (my daily driver), and a 2021 Plaid (eye candy), I can honestly say that the materials and build quality of the 2014 Model S we have is exceptional. The 2013 P85 was bad bad, but hey, they were still figuring things out. I expected that. Then the jump in quality when the P85D's came out, wow. In DIRECT comparison--granted, with a very limited sample size--the 2017 P100DL feels lighter, the seats aren't as bolstered or comfortable, the doors don't thud close like the 2014 P85D, and the P100DL has a ton of little rattles and annoying quirks not found in our 2014 P85D. I have seriously considered selling the 2017 P100DDL and NOT the 2014 P85D. I probably will trade in the 2017 once the Rivian R1S is readily available. Plan on keeping the P85D indefinitely. I still drive the P85D any chance I get. Of course the the newer Model S's we have are quicker and all, but I'm ATTACHED to my P85D. I've upgraded its MCU to MCU2, replaced the touchscreen, replaced the windshield, and had other little things like 12v battery or driver door handle replacements over the years, but all of this under the original warranty or more recently, with the 8 year extended service agreement. I'm confident in the P85D now. The 2017 P100DL strikes me as a problem waiting to happen...

So long story short, be careful because you might be sorely disappointed when you don't have your 2014 Model S anymore. Make sure you really like what you get to replace it if you can.
I appreciate your post. I have to ask about my 2015 S 85D and your thoughts on quality and keeping or consider selling. My battery warranty will be up in 2023. Kind of spooked on all this battery talk. And now my front suspension is rattling on high acceleration. A $1,500 Bill to get fixed. Sorry not trying to start a new conversation about a separate issue.

Its a 2014 which means you very likely have free SC and free connectivity, those reasons alone are why I'll never sell my car. Well that and the amount of aftermarket parts and time I put into installing said parts. *sugar* my car is in my garage on a jackstand for the last 4 days while I've been working on it. Most of the maintenance can be done yourself.

My warranty expires in Dec of this year and if *sugar* goes tits up after that then so be it, I'll fix it and keep on driving. If a battery craps out and its $22k for a new on that is still a ****ton cheaper than a new model S that doesn't have any of my mods or free stuff, and I could just put the car up as collateral to my credit union for the loan easily since I've had the pink slip for quite a while now. If one of the drive units goes out then I'll repair it or buy a new one those are only like what $4-10k depending on big or small one and that's what savings accounts are for.

So no I cant support telling you to sell because its more worth it to keep it and fix it as necessary.
Sorry to bother, just was looking for some help! I have a 2013 Model S, I believe the DU needs to be changed, but of course there’s no warranty. Where’s the best place to purchase a DU thats cost efficient? Thank you for any help

I have an early 2014 Model S with 100K miles that I love but I am not sure if it's wise to keep it past the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty. I have had some repairs done every year for the last 4 years since the warranty expired. The costs have been < 600/year for those repairs so far. I am the original owner, and until recently I thought I would keep this car forever.

Most of the regular maintenance items except the battery have been addressed in this car. Repairs or replacements have included 1 drive train replacement, 1 screen replacement, LTE upgrade, all 4 door handles, trunk latch, rear axel/hubs, 12 v batteries etc.

What would you do? I would be looking at either a 3 or Y performance models as replacement.

if we were in normal times then I would risk to keep it because resale value won't be that hight anyway and if the car needed major repair then you just dump it as. but in this time and how much you can get for used cars, I would sell in a heart beat.

There where some comments about the refurbished battery having a long warranty, that is not the case at least if you are paying for it after your warranty has expired. I was told yesterday, because I am asking for very specific details, that the warranty is 1yr on a part they install. Specifically this is for a 75kwh pack.

I asked if I will get to use the full capacity and they have not responded yet. My car originally was an S40 but Tesla unlocked the full capacity of the battery during the CA fires and never locked it down after that. It would be nice to get bumped to what every range the 75 pack could provide, might even make short road trips possible!

I went in today to the parts counter to get prices for doing a few repairs myself and I asked if they know the history of these refurbished packs but he did not. He suggested that Tesla probably does not mix and match any of the batteries or modules and that these packs could have been warranty replacements for things such as a contactor or coolant problem. The lead times are around 10 weeks. I couldn't even buy a 12v battery because those are out of stock too.