Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell me on a new model 3 (performance) vs P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have around 60k max to spend (would like to be under). Taking a new position with a 100 mile total daily commute (80% highway/possible traffic). Very into performance cars and would really appreciate the speed when switching to my first non-ICE car. I have around 60k to spend and also, like to factor in depreciation curves as well to my decision (20k+ miles a year). This would be commuter car and would probably use my wife’s ICE car for longer trips (maybe...). Also, I got two kids. Thanks!

Traveling= you do not want a performance model 3. 20 inch rims and sport tires etc.
The P85D is a much better commuter car.

Or save the money and get a LR Awd Model 3 would be a better choice than either of those
your looking at.

This is like asking "sell me on a BMW 3 series vs 5 series" (using BMW because I am most familiar with their offerings). The cars drive different and are in different classes. If I was a person with 2 kids (and trying to factor in depreciation), I would get a used model S. More space for the kids, some depreciation will have already been paid for by the previous owner, and still fast.

The model S is not for me however (too big, too bloated feeling when driving), but I am an empty nester so just me and my wife.. and I like 4 door cars around the size of the model 3.

For the performance you want... go all the way with P3D.

Family friendly 3LR.

Meet both in the middle and be (maybe happiest?) 3DLR.

Just for commuting > 3SR+ is more than enough to blow ICE's away off the line.

Since I'm a 3LR owner, my vote is with the car I know ;)

I suggest you test drive and experience each one. As a fellow “into performance” driver, the test drive of the PD3 and especially the experience of flooring it from a dead stop is what sold me.

I had one minor service issue and had an S for a day. It felt way too big and bloated for my taste.

I have 2 kids and the M3 is big enough IMO.

Reading our replies on this forum is good but ultimately the actual experience of driving each is the best way to make your decision.

Reactions: cbaaz
Find a friend who has any of the Model 3's and drive them around for awhile. One of the things about EV's, and especially Teslas, is that if there is an EV which is the style of car you were considering anyway there is no comparison.

Thats why, in 2019, the Model 3 outsold the BMW 5 series, the Audi A5, and the MBenz E class combined! COMBINED!

Unlike ICE cars, where the comparisons are basically highly pesonal and miniscule between makes and models, Teslas are a whole new world so just drive one.

Its like switching from a rotary dial phone to an iPhone. They are both phones, but that's the end of the comparison.

The used Model S is going to have some issues that you may not want to deal with, such as yellowing screens, out-of-warranty repairs, etc.

The Model 3 is a better built vehicle than a used S, and for that reason I'd steer you towards the P3D. (Current Model S's are better built, but with 60K to spend, you're talking about a used one, not a new one). Remember that Tesla took everything that they learned about mass producing a vehicle with the Model S and applied those lessons towards the build of the Model 3. The build methods, materials, and design in the Model 3 are a version 2 as compared to Model S's version 1.

As for efficiency, you can put a set of 18" wheels and tires on the P3D and get most of the range that is lost due to the 20" sport wheels and tires back. I just did a road trip in my P3D with 18" T-Sportline wheels and 235/45R18 Vredestein Quatrac tires and averaged below 250 Wh/mi.

We own an MX, MS and M3. While the Model 3 is the zippiest, nimble car of the bunch, I prefer the smooth air suspension ride for the longer freeway commutes. If you want to dart around in traffic, get the Model 3 but if you are commuting long distance the larger MS ride with air suspension can not be beat.

We own an MX, MS and M3. While the Model 3 is the zippiest, nimble car of the bunch, I prefer the smooth air suspension ride for the longer freeway commutes. If you want to dart around in traffic, get the Model 3 but if you are commuting long distance the larger MS ride with air suspension can not be beat.

I agree, but nervous about putting the miles on the air suspension. I just know land rover / Merc prices for replacement of air suspensions going for 15-20k! Anyone know the cost on Model S?

I see you posted this on both the S and 3 forums. My suggestion would be to drive both and decide. Personally, I would want the extra range, tech and nimbleness that the 3 offers - given your daily driving requirements. I had a S loaner (Gen 1 S 85) the other day and couldn’t wait to get my M3 LR AWD back. Not that the S was bad, just not for me.

I have around 60k max to spend (would like to be under). Taking a new position with a 100 mile total daily commute (80% highway/possible traffic). Very into performance cars and would really appreciate the speed when switching to my first non-ICE car. I have around 60k to spend and also, like to factor in depreciation curves as well to my decision (20k+ miles a year). This would be commuter car and would probably use my wife’s ICE car for longer trips (maybe...). Also, I got two kids. Thanks!

Define "very into performance cars"

I've seen some folks mean they have an 800 hp supra, and some folks mean they have a Jetta with intake and exhaust.

The S is probably a better highway cruiser with air suspension but on the other hand handling is noticeably inferior for taking curves at speed and such. The 3 also offers better range and efficency (and significantly quicker supercharging if you do want to use it on trips)

Likewise if you're mostly highway driving the AWD Model 3 is probably a better option for 10k less than the Performance, since you avoid the boat anchor 20" wheels, would be losing nothing on the braking difference, and the above 60 the performance is virtually identical between the two cars... (under 60 it's 3.2 vs 4.0 both of which are faster than 95% of all other cars but obviously there's still a notable difference between the two)

Back on that first hand the S obviously has more seating and cargo space- with 2 kids that might decide for you by itself....now THAT said- a P85d will be AP1, that alone would eliminate it as a consideration for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
P85D is the “analog” Telsa supercar. P85D will never have FSD, or Track Mode. Also there will be a ton of aftermarket stuff for P3D, because there are so many of them. P85D is an older car, older tech, slower supercharging, but it’s larger and looks better. My guess is P85D depreciates faster than P3D even though it has 3 years of depreciation already built in.

Reactions: disapr
P85D is the “analog” Telsa supercar. P85D will never have FSD, or Track Mode. Also there will be a ton of aftermarket stuff for P3D, because there are so many of them. P85D is an older car, older tech, slower supercharging, but it’s larger and looks better. My guess is P85D depreciates faster than P3D even though it has 3 years of depreciation already built in.

was just looking into depreciation curves (lease numbers from tesla) and tesla is assuming the P3D will lose 53% of it's value after (3 years / 45k miles). Seems large. Not sure I could see used P3D's in 3 years going for 30k...so you might be right.

Problem here is with a 100 mile daily commute and 2 kids, both cars would give you a great experience.

Used Model S will obviously give you the least depreciation, especially with so many Model 3s being produced. It also would give you a much quieter and softer ride as well as providing much more room with the hatch back design for hauling your kids and their stuff. Probably become the long distance road tripper of choice over your ICE vehicle as well.

Model 3 is the new kid on the block. Most popular Tesla ever. Smaller size and nimble handling makes it a fun city car. Still OK for commuting, but the suspension is much harsher and has less sound proofing.

No matter which car you choose, the Autopilot system will make your commute much more enjoyable. Takes tons of the stress away when in mindless traffic, or droning down the highway. When you feel the need for fun driving, both will enable you to take over manually for the fun portions of your trip. The one speed transmissions enable you to cut through traffic smoothly and with amazing control.

Nothing gets off the line like a Model S for people who want that performance excitement, but the smaller Model 3 is more energy efficient.

If it matters, the S is considered one of the best looking 4 door (5 actually) sedans on the road.