TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sell me on a used P85D vs model 3 performance

Discussion in 'Model S' started by porterror, Jul 11, 2019.

1. porterror

porterror Member

Taking a new position with a 100 mile total daily commute (80% highway/possible traffic). Very into performance cars and would really appreciate the speed when switching to my first non-ICE car. I have around 60k to spend and also, like to factor in depreciation curves as well to my decision (20k+ miles a year). This would be commuter car and would probably use my wife’s ICE car for longer trips (maybe...). Also, I got two kids. Thanks!

2. croman

croman Active Member

No convincing needed. P85DL is the fastest car I've had the pleasure of thrashing. It's classy and the best car for any length trip. Depreciation is very much far less of an issue due to age and they come with AP1 hardware which is the best for commutes. Enjoy!

Use all your resources to patiently target the ideal car rather than settling for any beater Tesla offers.

Miles matter less with EVs so don't be shy to get one with a lot or put them on like crazy. Trust me, you'll be putting in more time with the car than you think right now. It's that fun.

• Like x 2
  3. eyedrop

eyedrop Member

There is something truly special about the Model S that the 3 is missing. There is a reason it keeps winning car of the year, decade, century....

The Model S is a masterpiece. Model 3 seems so ubiquitous and generic by comparison...

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
  4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I have had a P85DL+ and current in X P100 .. personally while I liked the P85DL ...I like the newer technology and more upside on the M3P..the straight line times differences between the cars is not worth it enough for me to trade off for newer technology ....also worth noting is some of the software limitations Tesla has introduced on the 85 batts (long thread ) here..the 3 will best it on the range side ..in practice I never got more than 210 miles on 90% charge of my P85DL , however if buying a car for pure looks the S is the prettiest :oops:

• Love x 1
  5. Geek190

Geek190 Member

If depreciation is a factor in your decision making, then it seems to me your decision should already have been made. Buy the 4 year old S where somebody else paid the 50% loss.

6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Funny OP cross posted on 3 side ..3 guys say get the 3 ...S guys (other than myself ) say get the S ....lol :eek:

• Funny x 4
    • Love x 1
  7. porterror

porterror Member

But say i'm putting on 60k miles in 3 years.

Model P85D (~40k miles used + 60k = 95k miles) = how much would a 7 year old 100k mile P85D be worth? $30k?

vs.

Model M3S (0 miles + 60k miles = 60 miles) = how much would a 3 year old 60k mile M3S be worth? $30k?

8. porterror

porterror Member

Going for the basis opinion first.

9. porterror

porterror Member

I'm hearing the vast community of tesla heads saying the model S feels like a boat compared to the new M3S. Haven't not driven either, is it possible to get a "test drive"?

10. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

"Want a high end performance car but don't want it to depreciate too much"

What is that expression about cake and eating it?

I love the space the Model S has, yet I would love the newer battery technology in the 3.
    One thing is certain: If you spend $60K the most you could ever lose is 60K

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

You can get a test drive ..the S does feel like a boat compared to 3 ...however unless you know someone with P85D , Tesla test drive will be in P100D and once u drive that you won’t consider the 3 ;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. porterror

porterror Member

ha, you can! I've owned a porsche 911 (used 997.1) and Lotus Exige and both I put miles on and owned for 3+ years and sold them for the exact price I paid for them.

13. porterror

porterror Member

ha, you can! I've owned a porsche 911 (used 997.1) and Lotus Exige and both I put miles on and owned for 3+ years and sold them for the exact price I paid for them.

• Like x 1
  14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

That may be true for Porsche but for sure not a Tesla, unless your DaddyS right @JamesBrown ? ;)

• Funny x 1
  15. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Member

While it is true for a handful of rare Porsche models, I have seen multiple Telsas on this forum listed for appreciating values.

Yuri15 is currently selling a Model 3 for thousands more than he paid for it.
    2019 RWD Standard Plus Model 3

• Funny x 1
  16. porterror

porterror Member

wouldn't call 997.1 porsche 911's rare by any means. Not even specific models, they all have their price points (997.1 = ~40k, S (45-50k) turbo (~65-80k)). Prices haven't changed for years and see some going up now.

17. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

You have to sit and and ride/drive both to make a decision based on your needs. If someone gave me a 3 I'd sell it to buy and S,, but that's me. Can you deal with the 3's interior layout and space. Its not for everyone.. Not everyone needs a big S either but damn its a Beautiful car..

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. Fleer

Fleer Member

#18 Fleer, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Model S is an incredibly good looking sport sedan
    Model 3 looks like a toyota corolla

Only decision that mattered to me personally.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 1
  19. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

I see you posted this on both the S and 3 forums. My suggestion would be to drive both and decide. Personally, I would want the extra range, tech and nimbleness that the 3 offers - given your daily driving requirements. I had a S loaner (Gen 1 S 85) the other day and couldn’t wait to get my M3 LR AWD back. Not that the S was bad, just not for me.

• Like x 1
  20. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

That was my impression when I had a S85 as a loaner, while my M3 was at the SC getting Homelink installed. Don't get me wrong, the S is a nice car, just not for me.