Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell me on a used P85D vs model 3 performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What can someone expect for range today on a 2015/2016 P85D?

I believe I read something like 230 useable miles at that age. Hence, why I would want 300+ range if I were driving 200 miles round trip every day. Imagine being stuck in traffic one day, or needing to route around a bag accident - you might not get home without finding a charging station somewhere.

Reactions: commasign
I wanted a hatch back.
I wanted enough space to take my family on road trips (I live in New England and thus have good supercharger coverage)

I wasn't interested in FSD
I'm not interested in ultimate performance
I'm not concerned with things like maximum charging speed

I ended up with a 2016 S 90D.

It is more than fast enough for my needs. The battery seems worn but still usable in that I get 277 miles at 100% and actually get roughly that range cruising on the highway at 70mph. I was able to stuff my 2 kids, wife, and all their luggage (kids going to camp for 2 weeks) into the car with room to spare.

The car is *way* too big to drive around the side-streets of boston without a care. It attracts *way* too much attention.

Also I am more worried about "my screen may leak goo; my screen may turn yellow, my battery may degrade, my ECU may brick, the door handles may stop door handling" than I would be if I got a 3, which I imagine has a different pile of worries.

There is no telling how the S will hold value; I imagine poorly as with any extremely expensive car; it already lost 50% of the original value. To hear musk tell it, a newer 3 with FSD will be worth more in 5 years after you turn it into a taxi. I think that's not a reasonable projection but ... I'm not even a magic 8 ball so ask me again later.

Last edited:
I wanted a hatch back.
I wanted enough space to take my family on road trips (I live in New England and thus have good supercharger coverage)

I wasn't interested in FSD
I'm not interested in ultimate performance
I'm not concerned with things like maximum charging speed

I ended up with a 2016 S 90D.
Kinda sounds like you should have got a Model X.

I was recently in this exact same boat as the OP.

In the end I decided to go with a 2013 fully loaded P85 that I purchased for under $40k with about 40k miles on it through Carvana.

In the end for me, I wanted the S because I believe it’s one of the most beautiful looking cars created, and I love the executive sedan appearance of it. I even like the pre-facelift grill more, which is totally subjective.

I chose the model year because it felt like buying a piece of early automotive history, and even with that, a 2013 S still is loaded with more tech and features than 99% of new cars today, and boasts a range superior to all other electric vehicles, save for other Tesla’s. Needless to say it’s held up against time very well.

Having said all that, the 3 has a plethora of advantages over used S models. For me however, I could care less about autopilot, and the 50 miles of range difference between a new 3 and my S makes no difference for me. For most I think those are usually the major factors in the decision. I will add though that road trips are virtually identical in terms of number of stops, with the only difference is I probably have to spend a couple extra minutes charging.

Overall, they’re all wonderful cars, and I don’t think anyone can go wrong here as long as they can really afford it.

I just went through the same decision process and ended up with a '14 P85D. Prior to this I had a BMW M2, Audi RS5, and a BMW M3 before that. Performance and handling are important to me so I knew I needed a performance dual motor to keep me happy. For me it came down to interior, styling, and practicality. I like the S exterior much better, especially with the 21" wheels. I also much prefer the S interior - the centre screen, having a gauge cluster, plus the next-gen seats are great. Then the practicality of having a hatchback - the trunk is great. I have AP1 which works great for my commute. I don't really care about FSD so that wasn't a selling feature for me.

A good friend of mine has a Model 3 SR+ and I've spent a good amount of time in it, and drove it quite a few times before I made my decision and I absolutely prefer the way my S drives.

I must say though, if you get a P85D, go for an early build (up to Mar 2015 I believe?) and it will come with the "plus" suspension which makes it ride and handle like a completely different car compared to other Model S'. The P100D loaner I had was floaty and drove like a large car. My P85D drives like a sports sedan.

I'm sure you'll be happy either way. Just drive both and see which one you prefer.

Reactions: commasign
I just went through the same decision process and ended up with a '14 P85D. Prior to this I had a BMW M2, Audi RS5, and a BMW M3 before that. Performance and handling are important to me so I knew I needed a performance dual motor to keep me happy. For me it came down to interior, styling, and practicality. I like the S exterior much better, especially with the 21" wheels. I also much prefer the S interior - the centre screen, having a gauge cluster, plus the next-gen seats are great. Then the practicality of having a hatchback - the trunk is great. I have AP1 which works great for my commute. I don't really care about FSD so that wasn't a selling feature for me.

A good friend of mine has a Model 3 SR+ and I've spent a good amount of time in it, and drove it quite a few times before I made my decision and I absolutely prefer the way my S drives.

I must say though, if you get a P85D, go for an early build (up to Mar 2015 I believe?) and it will come with the "plus" suspension which makes it ride and handle like a completely different car compared to other Model S'. The P100D loaner I had was floaty and drove like a large car. My P85D drives like a sports sedan.

I'm sure you'll be happy either way. Just drive both and see which one you prefer.

Afraid of the air suspension being floaty and not sporty. Also, had M3s and RS4s. Reason i'm slightly leaning toward the M3S right now because of lots complaining the S feels like a boat.

Afraid of the air suspension being floaty and not sporty. Also, had M3s and RS4s. Reason i'm slightly leaning toward the M3S right now because of lots complaining the S feels like a boat.

2013 P85+ and 2014-2015 P85D built prior to March 2015 ride completely different than other Model S' thanks to the + suspension. Drive one and see if you like it. I was really surprised how well they handle and went in to it with the same fear as you.

Early P85D's had the + suspension and from what every owner has said, it is the best handling car Tesla ever made.

is the + suspension code for "air suspension"? If so, they are great, but big bucks to repair replace later in life (20k+ replacement on landrover/merc cars). Also, love the jeep. I currently might be trading in my 2017 JKUHR (2" mopar lift) for this tesla...really sad.

is the + suspension code for "air suspension"? If so, they are great, but big bucks to repair replace later in life (20k+ replacement on landrover/merc cars). Also, love the jeep. I currently might be trading in my 2017 JKUHR (2" mopar lift) for this tesla...really sad.

It's not just air suspension, but from what I understand it's a different type of air suspension that everybody says handles better for a rougher ride.

Just about any performance dual motor S you find will have air suspension. The + is apparently upgraded dampers, sway bars, and bushings and it really does transform these cars. Think of going from a 5 series to an M5. Not quite as cushy, but still comfortable and much better feel and driving enjoyment.

The cost of air suspension really isn't too bad on these cars, plus they seem pretty reliable.

Just find a used one to drive.

I've got to have something for offroad with a camping setup that has a fridge/stove, too many dirt roads and camping trips out here in the West. Good luck in your search.