Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell Model 3 and wait for tax change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lack of adjustability. My girlfriend is only 5'2, and she's very uncomfortable in the passenger seat. There is no adjustment for the headrest or the seat belt. We tried all sorts of things to make the seat work for her, various neck pillows, we built up cushions. We finally settled on one neck pillow and a seat belt clip that holds the seat belt down. I worry that the seat belt clip isn't safe, the problem with the seat belts is that for short people it cuts across the neck. The clip make it comfortable to ride but in the case of an accident it isn't going to hold and the seat belt could jump up to neck level. I find the seats OK but I'm exactly the height of a crash test dummy so they are optimized for someone my size. However the seats in my old Volt were more comfortable for both of us and that's a car that inherited it's interior from a $20K Chevy Cruise. The Tesla is a $50K car, the seats ought to be a lot better then they are.
An alternative is to look for a taller girlfriend, or at least one that fits more comfortably.

Wow -- same boat. I was considering buying a used manual to learn last year -- I can drive well enough to get around, but not confidently or quickly. If I do get rid of the Tesla, then I'd have more incentive to get a manual

You‘ll get the hang of the manual quickly if you have the basics down now. Some people just don’t get it, but since you have the basics you’re not one of them.

I did the same in college. Picked up a manual during break. Dad showed me how to drive it over 3 afternoons - hills were the worst, so he taught me the parking brake method for those. Then on Sunday, drove it to college and used it as my only car. After less than a month of use, I was fast enough to do hills without the parking brake.

Lack of adjustability. My girlfriend is only 5'2, and she's very uncomfortable in the passenger seat. There is no adjustment for the headrest or the seat belt. We tried all sorts of things to make the seat work for her, various neck pillows, we built up cushions. We finally settled on one neck pillow and a seat belt clip that holds the seat belt down. I worry that the seat belt clip isn't safe, the problem with the seat belts is that for short people it cuts across the neck. The clip make it comfortable to ride but in the case of an accident it isn't going to hold and the seat belt could jump up to neck level. I find the seats OK but I'm exactly the height of a crash test dummy so they are optimized for someone my size. However the seats in my old Volt were more comfortable for both of us and that's a car that inherited it's interior from a $20K Chevy Cruise. The Tesla is a $50K car, the seats ought to be a lot better then they are.
The Volt wasn't exactly a cheap car, $40k+, and I found the seats adequate, certainly not more comfortable than the Model 3. Of course, everyone's experience with seats is different. When my 5' mom sat in the Volt, she definitely did not like it, due to the hardness of the bottom seat cushion, but when she sits in the "3", she finds it fine. She also uses a belt clip. And, I use headrest pillows to help match her size. The '16 Volt did not have electrically adjustable passenger seats, iirc.

The Volt wasn't exactly a cheap car, $40k+, and I found the seats adequate, certainly not more comfortable than the Model 3. Of course, everyone's experience with seats is different. When my 5' mom sat in the Volt, she definitely did not like it, due to the hardness of the bottom seat cushion, but when she sits in the "3", she finds it fine. She also uses a belt clip. And, I use headrest pillows to help match her size. The '16 Volt did not have electrically adjustable passenger seats, iirc.
The Volt wasn't cheap because it had two drive trains and in 2016 batteries were $400/KWh. The interior of the car was just a Chevy Cruze which is a $20K car. The Volt didn't have power seats, they were mechanical, but it did have an adjustable headrest and adjustable seat belt anchors which made the seat comfortably for my girlfriend. I find both the M3 and the Volt acceptable.

Sold my car to Carmax at price listed in original post.

After 9 days, 43 was the most I was offered and I didn't want to risk a re-appraisal bringing down the price. Plus it needed a couple of warranty fixes, and selling to Carmax saved me from having to deal with them.

2 years, only spent 5.5K (purchase - sell price) + electricity -- awesome deal. However, now have to wait & hope for tax incentives to pass and/or Tesla to reverse past few months of price hikes.

I would do it, in fact I did it, (Also Carmax. They offered me more than MSRP). I sold my M3 Last week and will get a new one when the tax break comes through. If it becomes clear that there won't be one then I will still buy a car but I won't have to worry about leaving 7500 to 10K in resale value when the new law passes.

I do have an old 5 speed car to drive while I wait so in my case I am switching from Coal burner to Gas burner for a few months of summer.

I bought a Model 3 SR+ 15 months ago for $39,900 plus tax. In that time I put on 12,000 miles, and this is the plain Jane white with aero wheels, no FSD. I solicited bids from Vroom, Carvana, Shift, and a couple of less familiar companies. Got offers between $37k and almost $40k, until one more came in at $41k! The company, My Car Auction, advertises on Facebook, and I think only works in S. California, stopped by the next day for an inspection, and we haggled over some really minor cosmetic stuff until settling at $40,800.

I was kicking myself for not getting one with more range, so this crazy market was basically like getting a do-over. I'll sit on the cash until hopefully the tax credit returns, and likely get a Model Y LR sometime this fall. In the meantime, since I also sold a Honda Clarity PHEV last year since it was just sitting in the garage during the depths of the pandemic, I just picked up a Kia Niro EV on a 24 month lease at $114/month, $4k down, 10,000 miles/year. I may just sell it when we get the Model Y, but if we're happy with it, maybe we keep it. Seems like a solidly built car, and at 6' 5", I appreciate the higher seating position and easier entry/exit.

Can't imagine this used market will continue much longer, so I struck while the iron was hot. Let's just hope Elon doesn't keep jacking the prices up to totally swallow the renewed tax credit if/when it comes back.

Just did Carvana, they offered 45k. Kinda weak. P w/ 5k miles and FSD. I got a 5k rebate on it and no sales tax. FSD was 7k then. Would flip to a Plaid if offer was worthwhile.
Did Carvana give you an instant online quote? I had to a manual appraisal and send them my window sticker and a pic of my car's screen. Been two days almost.

Mine is an Model Y SR so they may have trouble pricing it.

Sold my 2018 M3 AWD with EAP and 21,000 miles to Vroom for 41,200. I received bids from Carvana and Carmax; they were within 1,200 of each other. I purchased the car as a new demo with 700 miles for 42,700 net of tax credit. Cheap driving for 27 months. I will eventually replace...but waiting to see if new tax credits are approved. The M3 was an extra car for me...looking for a PM3 next time. I loved the car but the offers are too strong to resist. Any news tax credit will hurt resale...big time.

Reactions: Camryguy
Drafts of the renewed EV credit legislation that I've seen over the past few years also included credits for used EV purchases, which would likely push up trade-in values. You can also safely bet on Tesla jacking up prices in response to new credit. So, you'd have to order before the passage becomes virtually certain, and keep deferring and pray Tesla honors the earlier price.

I'd say it's not worth the bother selling just because there might be a new credit and trade-in values are high.

With inflation running high and the perception that massive prior spending is partly to blame, I would not be surprised if the consumer EV credit gets dropped. It's a pretty expensive way to stimulate sales.