Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell Model 3 for new Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leases are more favorable if you own a business and can write it off. I've always had leases in the past but I never really looked forward to the new car because they don't change much after 3 years and became more of a hassle. 2.5 years into my purchased Model 3 now and could probably go another 2-3 years before anything new brings me enough excitement to want to upgrade.

I currently own a 2018 Model 3 Mid-Range. With all the recent enhancements such as the heat pump, better quality, wireless charging, and power trunk, I am tempted to sell my current Model 3 and purchase a 2021 Model 3 (or even a Y). I would be looking at a 2021 Model 3 SR+ or 2021 Model Y SR (local Sales Advisor mentioned two available in the area). What am I missing other forking over another $5k to get a new car? Also, the various Federal bills on the docket has timing issues, but hopefully those are retroactive. And, the Model 3 SR+, I would be losing out on the premium audio (I have it now). I do qualify for the CA State rebate and SCE CA discount.
Your average annual cost of ownership will go down the longer you keep the 2018. Unless you like spending a lot to drive, getting a new car without much of an upgrade just gets you more rapid depreciation. Of course, I come at this as a longtime used car buyer. My last Lexus RX350, bought with 50,000 miles on it, served me for seven years and depreciated only $10,000 in those years.

This thread is interesting. I have an 2018 AWD. I am also considering the upgrade. However in 2018, auto pilot wasn’t standard as well, and it is now. Not to mention my cars paint sucks and isn’t aging well with its two different colored bumpers and VT winters.
Also the 2.5 computer gets upgraded to the 3.0 without the fsd upgrade.

I must be getting confused in my old age. I thought all new 2021 Teslas came with EAP standard?

Edit: Just spent some time with the configurator on Tesla's website. It does appear (to me, at least) that EAP is now standard. Buying FSD gives you a specific list of:
  1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Full Self-Driving Computer
  6. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

A bit silly that they list the FSD computer, as it comes on every vehicle now. But anyway... This would imply that EAP functionality (lane keeping, TACC) is now considered part of the base car.

I also remember there being an announcement somewhere that EAP is now standard. I'll have to look around a bit to see if I can find it. I spend way too much time reading about Tesla stuff, so it might take me anywhere from one minute to never to find that announcement.

Last edited:
Personally, I would never upgrade just for those items, and pay another round of state taxes and registrations. but, WERE I do really really want it, and money wasn’t a real issue, I would DEFINITELY wait till any new EV federal tax credits were confirmed (and not hope for back dating or retro active application of them).. There IS probably a decent arbitrage opportunity here to come if one is ready to pounce on a new car AND sell or trade in an existing one but I’m still very happy with my 2018 LR RWD that I’m probably going to keep it at least another 1-2 years before thinking about selling.
This sums up my thoughts on the matter also.

FWIW, $5k depreciation for a 2+ year old car sounds really low, but the taxes on the swap make it expensive

I must be getting confused in my old age. I thought all new 2021 Teslas came with EAP standard?

Edit: Just spent some time with the configurator on Tesla's website. It does appear (to me, at least) that EAP is now standard. Buying FSD gives you a specific list of:
  1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon

A bit silly that they list the FSD computer, as it comes on every vehicle now. But anyway... This would imply that EAP functionality (lane keeping, TACC) is now considered part of the base car.

I also remember there being an announcement somewhere that EAP is now standard. I'll have to look around a bit to see if I can find it. I spend way too much time reading about Tesla stuff, so it might take me anywhere from one minute to never to find that announcement.
Different labels are packages of different functions. The only way I can keep things straight is to ignore the label and list the functions. So far as I know, all current new Tesla cars come with lane keeping and TACC. Your listed 1 - 6 are optional, currently bundled as 'FSD'

1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon

What you’re thinking of as EAP is now Basic Autopilot (TACC and Autosteer).

EAP is not available for sale in the US currently, but adds on Sumon, Auto Lane Change, and auto park. Essentially all of the “finished parts” of FSD.

It would be less confusing if Tesla wasn’t always shuffling around the furniture on us.

Reactions: jjrandorin

1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon

All new teslas come with "Autopilot" standard. The EAP acronym normally means "enhanced autopilot" (although some people also use it for "early access program" which isnt relevant to this thread, lol). If this OP purchased in 2018, there was no "autopilot" package at that time, only "enhanced autopilot" or "full self driving".

EAP comes with everything on your list above, except (I think) for traffic light and stop sign control. So, this OP would be losing ,NOA, auto lane change, auto park, summon, that they have in their current vehicle for whats in "included" autopilot.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and BeeGood
All new teslas come with "Autopilot" standard. The EAP acronym normally means "enhanced autopilot" (although some people also use it for "early access program" which isnt relevant to this thread, lol). If this OP purchased in 2018, there was no "autopilot" package at that time, only "enhanced autopilot" or "full self driving".

EAP comes with everything on your list above, except (I think) for traffic light and stop sign control. So, this OP would be losing ,NOA, auto lane change, auto park, summon, that they have in their current vehicle for whats in "included" autopilot.
Yeah, I have Summon, Auto Park, NOA, but no traffic light and stop sign.

I don't really know... I thought silicon was just one part of the equation. Sandy Munro said "in the same space as a current 74 kWh Tesla Model Y battery pack, a 130 kWh battery pack can be accommodated", but that doesn't make it true. Some sources say Panasonic will be producing these new batteries in 2021.

... I am tempted to sell my current Model 3 and purchase a 2021 Model 3 (or even a Y). ...
The high resell values currently make this a not too expensive proposition. You'll have this opportunity for only months I suspect. After that, 3 years prior, is when Tesla started is massive manufacturing ramp. 3 years is when others start to recycle their car, so resell values may drop then. I think it was November 2018 that Tesla started leasing the Model 3, so by December 2021 should start to see lease returns.

Last edited:
I think the biggest advantage of 4680 will be charging rate. With the folded copper tabs on the bottom of the battery on a big aluminum heat sink and no zig zag coolant tube between the cells much more heat can be dissipated and they can maintain high 1,000 mph charging rates on the new v 3.0 superchargers. Now the charge rate tapers rapidly.