Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell MS for M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, everyone - I am seeking some advice on my Model S.

I have a 2013 Model S 60 that has about 70K miles on it. Before beginning, I love this car dearly. I have been obsessed with it since I purchased it. It is truly my most favorite car I've owned. However, I have had some issues starting to pop up (such as replacing the monitor in the center console because of bubbles), and since I didn't decide to extend the warranty (because I had ZERO problems with it prior to 50K), it has proven to be a costly product. After looking around on ebay and other used car sales, I believe I could get around 35K for it. Considering my other car is 2002 Honda Accord, I am going to need a new car in the next couple of years to replace it. So, knowing my S is aging and becoming costly, I am considering selling it and using the cash to pay for a Model 3. My wife is struggling with the idea, so I am hoping for some affirmation one way or the other.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sounds like a good plan.

Telsa has long said they they plan to continously improve their vehicles, and suggest that occasionally upgrading to a new vehicle should result in a good experience.

You get a new, state of the art Tesla, with a full warranty and all new parts.

I'd stick with the S. You've already taken the big depreciation hit on your Model S, jumping into the M3 means you're going to take another one. And for a much smaller vehicle, with similar battery / range, and less screen real estate...

If you just want extended warranty, or more range / power, or feel like your car may be a lemon, maybe it'd be more sensible to look at a used Model S? Sell yours for $35k, and for a bit more, you could by a CPO or newer one private party, that would still be within the 4 year warranty. I have a 2014 Model S 60, and I sometimes think it'd be nice to pick up a used P85 :) But so far I've found mine fast enough and too reliable to justify selling it (mine's only 20k miles, which may be why I haven't had any issues).

Hey, everyone - I am seeking some advice on my Model S.

I have a 2013 Model S 60 that has about 70K miles on it. Before beginning, I love this car dearly. I have been obsessed with it since I purchased it. It is truly my most favorite car I've owned. However, I have had some issues starting to pop up (such as replacing the monitor in the center console because of bubbles), and since I didn't decide to extend the warranty (because I had ZERO problems with it prior to 50K), it has proven to be a costly product. After looking around on ebay and other used car sales, I believe I could get around 35K for it. Considering my other car is 2002 Honda Accord, I am going to need a new car in the next couple of years to replace it. So, knowing my S is aging and becoming costly, I am considering selling it and using the cash to pay for a Model 3. My wife is struggling with the idea, so I am hoping for some affirmation one way or the other.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
That's just what I did, sold my five year old S 60 and have a Model 3 being delivered next week. I'm doing it mostly for the 50% increase in range, it will make long trips more convenient. I would have never sold my Model S except to buy a newer Tesla.

That's just what I did, sold my five year old S 60 and have a Model 3 being delivered next week. I'm doing it mostly for the 50% increase in range, it will make long trips more convenient. I would have never sold my Model S except to buy a newer Tesla.

The range would be the only reason I'd want to upgrade. My S is my dream car and a 3 would be a great car but the S is so amazing and large and spacious and great for long distance travel (so much storage room).

If the 3 works for you generally (size, appearance, etc.), then its worth the upgrade. If you weren't interested in a 3 until the S became expensive to fix, then I would suggest CPO.

The range would be the only reason I'd want to upgrade. My S is my dream car and a 3 would be a great car but the S is so amazing and large and spacious and great for long distance travel (so much storage room).

If the 3 works for you generally (size, appearance, etc.), then its worth the upgrade. If you weren't interested in a 3 until the S became expensive to fix, then I would suggest CPO.

Not at current CPO prices

Thanks, everyone. Your insight is really helpful. I am concerned that I will only have the S for two, maybe three, years and encounter the same thing. My thinking is with the M3, I would have a car for 5 years, then sell it, and use the cash to get another - constantly doing this every 5 years. Luckily, Tesla's hold their resale value well, hopefully that applies to the Model 3, too.

That's good to know about the goodwill for the bubbles. Maybe I am not catching an employee on a good day? Anyway, aside from that, I had to replace all four tire pressure monitors ($650) and 2 door handles (~$1,500). The car has only been out of warranty since August 2017, so I am worried this is going to become a trend.

I have always been interested in the 3. I would like to have my Model S AND the Model 3, but my wife will never let that happen...:(

model 3 is minimalist, but this is growing on me. Fit and finish are better, but you will miss some of the model S niceties (better UI implementation, some apps - most notably the trip energy use estimator. The model S is a better car - but is it worth the extra money with repairs? Range is also a major difference with your S60.

This thread makes me feel good about getting the extended warranty. In the long run keeping your original car as long as possible has to make the most financial sense, provided it remains reliable and is not costing a fortune to keep it going.

Personally if I were the OP I would take the trade and get the Model 3. Sounds like it is an awesome car, and the 2013 Model S hasn’t some of the features you can get with the 3, unlike 2015 and later Model S’s.