Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell my P85D with Ludicrous and

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did the 2014 P85D's get a software update that increased their range to 253 miles like the 2015 P85D's ?

Aren't Early 2015 P85D's like ours with the Plus Suspension basically identical mechanically?

Just curious.
I don’t think they ever did an update to extend the range. It’s just the fact that most could charge past the rated advertised miles. I had 2016.5 P90DL with the best V3 battery that was capable of 277 miles at 100%SOC while 270 was supposed to be the advertised max rated range.
D83366E6-F2CD-4C9B-860B-43C59D48A6B3.jpeg

Some batteries are better than others as every cell can vary.

Reactions: BrokerDon
The
Thanks!! I appreciate the support of other owners. Sometimes I get the itch to sell, and I have a beautiful Model S with dual motors and Ludicrous. I would let another Tesla fanatic have it, figured they would appreciate the car. l would like a fair price. Otherwise, why sell? I also have dual chargers - forgot about that.
i would recommend to not use the dual chargers as this will lead to degradation just like super chargers. I personally only charge at 24amps unless I must use a supercharger. All superchargers effect the batteries negatively since they are pulling such high amps. They got rid of the ability to even have dual chargers simply to protect their batteries

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Dual chargers allow you to pull high amps

FYI Tesla has once again dropped their prices significantly. A 2016 P85D was $56K last week now $49K

Dual chargers provide about 20 kW to the battery pack, which is significantly less than any sort of DC fast charging. That’s a charge rate of about .25C, which is absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of degradation.

Dual chargers provide about 20 kW to the battery pack, which is significantly less than any sort of DC fast charging. That’s a charge rate of about .25C, which is absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of degradation.
Dual chargers allow 72 amps with a 80amp max. Tesla did not discontinue dual chargers for fun or shits and giggles. Superchargers are known to have negative effects after one use. It definitely leads to more issues regarding the batteries.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sunshine State
Dual chargers allow 72 amps with a 80amp max. Tesla did not discontinue dual chargers for fun or shits and giggles. Superchargers are known to have negative effects after one use. It definitely leads to more issues regarding the batteries.

Dual 40 amp chargers were replaced by the large single 72 amp charger. That was later discontinued to streamline production and parts inventory and also because most people don’t install circuits that large at home, so the potential wasn’t getting used.

Dual 40 amp chargers were replaced by the large single 72 amp charger. That was later discontinued to streamline production and parts inventory and also because most people don’t install circuits that large at home, so the potential wasn’t getting used.

I agree.

Dual 40A chargers = 2 x 40A x 240V = 19,200W ~ 19kW. Even "slow" Tesla Urban Superchargers deliver 72kW... and v3 Superchargers can deliver up to 250kW... so it sure seems doubtful to me that charging at 80A (19kW) is a battery issue.

Supercharging

IMHO I think Tesla logically discontinued 80A (40A x 2) dual chargers due to:
  1. cost of the onboard dual chargers
  2. lack of customer need: home charging of even an almost empty battery overnight is possible on a the current 48A v3 Tesla Wall Connector
  3. installation of the older v1 Tesla Wall Connector ("HPWC) on a 100A circuit was expensive, confusing and difficult for Tesla customers since most homes can support a 100A breaker
  4. Tesla v1 Wall Connector plugs and cables got HOT when run at 80A. Been there, done that... replaced our v1 HPWC cable on a 100A / 240V circuit charging at 80A once already so I now charge at 60A to keep our v1 HPWC plug & cable plus our P85D's charging receptacle cooler so it last longer (HEAT KILLS plastics, cables, wires and electronics)
  5. customers buying 2 Teslas can't justify the electrical upgrade cost or don't have capacity on their main service panels for 2 Tesla Wall Connectors on 100A circuits. Newer v2 & v3 Tesla Wall Connectors can "share" a single breaker / circuit.
YMMV... and your opinion too.

Meanwhile back to the OP's now highjacked P85D's for sale post :)

I agree.

Dual 40A chargers = 2 x 40A x 240V = 19,200W ~ 19kW. Even "slow" Tesla Urban Superchargers deliver 72kW... and v3 Superchargers can deliver up to 250kW... so it sure seems doubtful to me that charging at 80A (19kW) is a battery issue.

Supercharging

2. lack of customer need: home charging of even an almost empty battery overnight is possible on a the current 48A v3 Tesla Wall Connector
  3. installation of the older v1 Tesla Wall Connector ("HPWC) on a 100A circuit was expensive, confusing and difficult for Tesla customers since most homes can support a 100A breaker
  4. Tesla v1 Wall Connector plugs and cables got HOT when run at 80A. Been there, done that... replaced our v1 HPWC cable on a 100A / 240V circuit charging at 80A once already so I now charge at 60A to keep our v1 HPWC plug & cable plus our P85D's charging receptacle cooler so it last longer (HEAT KILLS plastics, cables, wires and electronics)
  5. customers buying 2 Teslas can't justify the electrical upgrade cost or don't have capacity on their main service panels for 2 Tesla Wall Connectors on 100A circuits. Newer v2 & v3 Tesla Wall Connectors can "share" a single breaker / circuit.

Everything Tesla does is to protect the longevity of their batteries that are warranted and costs them lots of their profits to replace. Even the 250kw chargers have had no benefit in term of charging times cuz it peaks only for seconds. They did a study and it save a total 3 minutes compared to a 150kw Charger. Superchargers aren’t meant to be used regularly which is why they cap owners who do. Charging at 72anps may not seem like much but doing it day in and day out will lead to negative effects on the batteries. All Tesla’s will have their charging crippled just like they did with 85 batteries recently.
The main reason they deal with the negative effects is due to having to sell ev’s to potential buyers by making them believe that they can charge to 100% in 30 minutes.

. A very easy way to tell is by checking the vin#. If it has a P in the sixth last digit than it has the plus suspension.

OMG, Tyler, almost everything you've posted in this thread is not accurate at best, and totally wrong at worst. The 12th digit of the VIN has NOTHING to do with the Performance + suspension. Before Tesla had more than 100,000 cars built, the 12th digit was a production indicator:

A=Alpha Prototype
B=Beta Prototype
E = Evaluation Prototype (Roadster)
M = Mule/early prototype (Roadster)
V = Validation Prototype (Roadster)
P=Production
S=Signature
R=Release Candidate
F=Founders
When it was clear that the sequence number (the last 5 digits of the VIN) was soon to roll-over past 100,000, they eliminated the "P" for "Production" and made it a 6-digit sequence number like most other manufacturers do. All other production Model S trim lines (S60, S85, etc) before they made this change had either a P,S, or F in that VIN digit. And only P85+ and early P85Ds had the P+ suspension. While this change did happen in mid 2015, any relation to the P+ suspension being discontinued is purely coincidental. "Correlation is not causation."

And as far as your continued assertions that Tesla stopped selling the dual charges in order to protect the battery, that's also entirely not true AT ALL. As many people have posted above, especially BrokerDon in Post #48, the reasons were clearly customer and production motivated. The proof of this is that those changes happened long before Tesla started making other more recent changes to their battery charging protocols. Go back and read Don's post #48, and if you are still not convinced, then there's no help for you. Those are the facts. If you have some sort of ACTUAL PROOF to back up your beliefs, than please post them. Otherwise your ramblings are simply your woefully misinformed opinions. Easily 90% of your posts are conspiracy theories, untruths, and/or fabricated FUD. Please stop.

I'm kind of glad nobody stepped up to buy my P85D-L. The car looked new tonight in the low light, the way that black paint shined. With the extended warranty, what is the difference in my Model S and a used one from Tesla? Just bought new tires 500 miles ago for $1600, new 12-volt battery a few weeks ago for $399, warranty $4750, new computer ($200 deductible), so almost seven thousand dollars. Could find just one scrape on the 21's. Free supercharging for life of car, and the $2500 factory sound system sounds even better with that new 12-volt battery. Let's see what Tesla comes up with next. I have a deposit on a Roadster since November of 2017.

I agree.

Supercharging

You can most likely get around $50K. Any supercharger regardless if 150 or 72 has shown to effect the battery negatively after 1 charge. Read some research that was a done a few weeks regarding this. Not 5 , not 10 but 1 single charge using a supercharger. Facts!

I'm kind of glad nobody stepped up to buy my P85D-L. The car looked new tonight in the low light, the way that black paint shined. With the extended warranty, what is the difference in my Model S and a used one from Tesla? Just bought new tires 500 miles ago for $1600, new 12-volt battery a few weeks ago for $399, warranty $4750, new computer ($200 deductible), so almost seven thousand dollars. Could find just one scrape on the 21's. Free supercharging for life of car, and the $2500 factory sound system sounds even better with that new 12-volt battery. Let's see what Tesla comes up with next. I have a deposit on a Roadster since November of 2017.
Just keep it and convert it into a Facelift P85DL+. Not that difficult at all, even if not handy I have basically simplified it as much as possible with pictures etc. I have given a breakdown of how to do it on another thread.
My P85D+ Conversion

7704CD9D-0AFE-47E1-962A-F66E73C4295F.jpeg
801FD1C0-85CA-471A-8A9F-A66408321F20.jpeg
EF338AC7-0EBE-4D49-BCAA-3516D4EACCA9.jpeg
53186ADA-0CB5-42CF-BE46-DA15AB99EF0E.jpeg

2FE3216E-2FD9-43AF-A568-ADC3212CB3B4.jpeg
7A981294-CCF1-461C-B5BB-3ABF3DE4452B.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cucubits
Find me one that doesn't cause you won't.
This is only for P85D's, please prove me wrong.

As I already explained in excruciating detail, ALL cars before mid-2015 have a "P" as the 14th digit. So yes, all P85Ds with a P+ suspension have a "P" there, because ALL CARS built before the switchover have it. Your grasp of logic (or lack thereof) is baffling. Have you ever heard the term "correlation is not causation"? Go look it up. Also, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Evidence of absence - Wikipedia But I wouldn't expect your feeble little mind to understand these abstract concepts.

. In fact you posted this same assumption before you just believed what another member told you

WTF are you talking about? I've posted no such assumption. And who told me anything? I have decades of experience as a data and computer scientist so I believe only what the data says, not some yahoo on the internet who STILL doesn't have any proof to offer other than the absense of evidence. You're the one making the claim about the "P" -- you need to offer proof that that is valid. I have supplied proof why it isn't.

You literally have zero experience when it comes to actually doing anything besides believing what you read. Zero experience with working on them, zero experience with testing them, zero experience period, on anything that involves real world applications.

How do you know what I know and what I don't? You have no clue about me. Or are you just attacking me, again, with no evidence. And what are all these things I'm only 'reading'? I've offered clear proof for what I've posted. All you've posted is complete, fabricated, BS. Really, I really want to know where you came up with this "P" digit fallacy. Or is that just something you read somewhere?

You run a site I could duplicate for $1K and have it run daily for basically nothing

Then please, go ahead and try. Let's see what you've got.

ng. And because of this you think you have knowledge but you have none

I'm pretty sure we could take a vote on TMC and see who people would trust more based on the info we've posted. Saying I have no knowledge is laughable and shows just how uninformed/delusional you are.

. I'm the professional and you're simply a gamer.

I've never seen any "professional" act like the man-child you act like on TMC. Professionals don't need to tell other people they are professionals. Their intelligence, knowledge, skills, and how they treat other people speak for themselves.

Last edited: