Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell my S and buy a Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S 90D model that I bought brand new in early 2017. I got the free upgraded self driving computer and also upgraded the center screen/computer. I also have black TSport 19" wheels and full glass tint. So far it's a great car (I bought it new) and don't have any issues with it. I have about $30k left in payments.

My 90% battery is typically about 251-ish miles, down from the initial 274-ish when I first got it.

However, I do like the Model Y because it sits a bit higher, has more headroom (especially in the back) and it's a bit smaller in terms of overall outer dimensions; I don't really have a need for a large car. The long range Y I spec'd out is about $60k with full self driving (I like it in my S and am fully aware of faults and future benefits and am VERY well versed in self-driving car technology).

I know what the physical and interior differences are between the S and the Y. I have friends who have and S or a Y and they love them.

Questions:
  • How's the ride in a Y? Noisy? Stiff?
  • 19" or 20" wheels? I'd go aftermarket on the wheels regardless of what I get from Tesla. High speed handling doesn't matter to me. High performance doesn't matter. I'm am neither fast nor furious. I need all season tires that will last and a profile that is not prone to curb rash...not from me...family members driving ;) I like the look of 20's but am wondering what the profile is like.
  • What's the average 90% battery range on the long range version?
  • Any reason not to get a Y that's not purely subjective?
  • Am I nuts for selling an S and getting a Y?
  • Any new stuff for the Y planned this year that's worth waiting on?
Thanks!

I have a fairly early Model Y (August 2020) and am interested in trading it for a Model S in a few years :D

I think asking others how they feel about the ride won't do you much good. Everyone's butt is tuned differently. I strongly recommend scheduling a test drive and asking for an extended one so you can drive your typical routes and feel the difference yourself in "your own backyard" so to speak.

I get about 280 miles on the display at 90%, but I've done a LOT of interstate miles at 75+mph.

I miss having a driver gauge cluster :(

I do love the dual screens! We also have a base model Honda Accord we got from a friend for dirt cheap and it had $3k miles. It's a decent car but man...the road noise is pretty bad. I've heard a few things about the Y being noisy but I also know brand and type of tire can have a lot to do with that.

Last edited:
On smooth roads the Y is rather quiet and the ride is smooth but on bumpy roads it tends to not be the best experience. Noise is a non issue-

19 inch wheels is my vote for weight savings and cheaper tires but everyone will have their personal preference.

range I’ve been getting is around 240 whpm depending on if wife is in car and both seats plus heat are running it can be over 300. I did a 302 mile trip and used 72 kWh at 240 wh/m and I think the pack is at least mine is 73 useable so I think the new ones are 85? Idk but you’d be looking at 300 and I have about 6500 on the clock.
The Y is nice I don’t see a reason not to. Actually when we took the Y to the service center they gave us an S and we couldn’t wait to get the Y back.
Some will say you are nuts yes. You still owe 30 grand and so you will be getting some trade in value for sure but the decision is up to you.

Reactions: JavD4 and SoCalEric
I have a 2017 Model S 90D model that I bought brand new in early 2017. I got the free upgraded self driving computer and also upgraded the center screen/computer. I also have black TSport 19" wheels and full glass tint. So far it's a great car (I bought it new) and don't have any issues with it. I have about $30k left in payments.

My 90% battery is typically about 251-ish miles, down from the initial 274-ish when I first got it.

However, I do like the Model Y because it sits a bit higher, has more headroom (especially in the back) and it's a bit smaller in terms of overall outer dimensions; I don't really have a need for a large car. The long range Y I spec'd out is about $60k with full self driving (I like it in my S and am fully aware of faults and future benefits and am VERY well versed in self-driving car technology).

I know what the physical and interior differences are between the S and the Y. I have friends who have and S or a Y and they love them.

Questions:
  • How's the ride in a Y? Noisy? Stiff?
  • 19" or 20" wheels? I'd go aftermarket on the wheels regardless of what I get from Tesla. High speed handling doesn't matter to me. High performance doesn't matter. I'm am neither fast nor furious. I need all season tires that will last and a profile that is not prone to curb rash...not from me...family members driving ;) I like the look of 20's but am wondering what the profile is like.
  • What's the average 90% battery range on the long range version?
  • Any reason not to get a Y that's not purely subjective?
  • Am I nuts for selling an S and getting a Y?
  • Any new stuff for the Y planned this year that's worth waiting on?
Thanks!
I've had the same thoughts recently with my 2017 Model S 90D. The feature you give up completely is air suspension. Model Y is coil suspension only. I have become fond of increasing clearance on bumpy roads and poorly done transition situations. Everything else is attractive on the Y -- haven't done a test drive to check road noise yet.

We are in the middle of the switch. Traded in 2019 Raven Standard Range S and awaiting delivery of Model Y in a few weeks.

The S has been great the past two years. Fast, stylish, and incredible tech. However, our 75 kWh battery degraded some from 278 miles when new to 264. That wasn’t the motivation to switch though. My wife is disabled with back and neck issues and a recent road trip in the S was painful for her. It was our first long road trip and the low seating made it difficult for her to be comfortable. Also, I was Supercharging in Santa Cruz and a Model Y arrived after me yet left before me.

I will miss the dual screens, free Supercharging, and Raven air suspension, but we will also gain higher (and more comfortable) seating positions for my wife, second row seats that recline, and much faster (albeit pay-for-use) Supercharging. Also, it will be easier to tow or carry bikes on the Y compared to our S; I just wasn’t comfortable putting a stealth hitch on the S.

I test drove the Y and at first thought it was a great value at the price point, but felt it was somewhat of a downgrade from the S. I swore I would only seriously consider upgrading to an X. But, truth be told, I only really like the X for the FWD. my wife reminded me that I don’t enjoy driving vehicles as big as the X, and she’s right. For how big the X is on the outside, it isn’t all that spacious to me on the inside. YouTube comparisons show the Y able to carry almost as much as the X. Not only that, I could literally straighten my legs in the back row of the Y (due to the seat risers and deep toe space), yet I can’t straighten my legs in the second row of the X!

The Y definitely doesn’t ride as smooth as the S and even my wife noticed it on the test drive. However, it wasn’t as bad as we feared and the wife was still much more comfortable riding in the Y than the S. I didn’t think we would really consider going from an S to a Y but have to say I’m pretty excited now and the wait for delivery is excruciating! Even better is the Y now has dual-pane front windows, heated steering wheel, and updated interior that were not present in the Y I test drove last Summer.

Last edited:
If ride quality is important then stay with Model S. MS is the best car Tesla ever produced ( so far). All other specs you can compare side by side. After riding our MX , my wife always complains about the ride quality of our MY. I rest my case......

I'm interested in trading in my Y possibly for an S for probably the exact inverse reasons you're looking for a trade (PM me if you'd like chat) .

I feel like there's a lot of folks flipping from one to another; it's funny the y blows me away everytime I get in , but I miss 'driving' if that makes sense