Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell or Keep 2013 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I have a 2013 MS 85. I need a new HV battery which costs $13k. I’m really trying to decide whether to keep it and buy the battery or say goodbye. I just put in MCU2 and it went down right after 😑. Only 89k miles. I’m hoping to fight for a discount. Does anyone know an estimate on how much I would get for it with it needing a new battery? Free supercharging as well. Thanks ahead for your responses!

Before the MCU2 upgrade what was your actual millage from charging at what percentage? For example, if you were charging to 70% and getting 150+ actual driving miles without any issues, wouldn't the battery still be capable of getting the same actual miles traveled? Why would the upgrade of MCU2 all of sudden knock that much off the battery?

Upvote 0
Before the MCU2 upgrade what was your actual millage from charging at what percentage? For example, if you were charging to 70% and getting 150+ actual driving miles without any issues, wouldn't the battery still be capable of getting the same actual miles traveled? Why would the upgrade of MCU2 all of sudden knock that much off the battery?
I think at 100% I would probably get around 227 miles. This still baffles me. They say it is “preserving my battery” due to an underlying problem

Upvote 0
That’s pretty jacked up and I would want more detail on such a dramatic change in the range. I never did the MCU upgrade on mine as the only thing I’ve noticed is longer wake times. Mine was “battery gated” (which I’m still kind of hazy in the details about) a couple of years ago and my max range went from 220’s to 206 and has been stable since. My supercharging is kind of slow, but still free.

Anyway I agonized over keeping vs selling last winter as my extended warranty ended this past March. At that time a refurbished battery, with expected range in 220’s, was said to be $8k vs a new, modern range battery for $22k. I decided to sell and hope to get the new Model Y in the next couple of weeks. The S still drives great and I’ll miss the free supercharging and data service, not to mention the LTE and premium sound upgrade the came with screen replacement a few years ago. I’m apprehensive though about the repair costs that will almost assuredly happen within the next couple of years and I’d like some longer range and fast supercharging.

Upvote 0
@Plug Me In I've resisted the urge to sell mine because of the free (slow) supercharging, I didn't even think about the data service, LTE and premium sound! I'm at ~94K miles already and hope it'll last.

If you don't mind, how much did you sell yours for?
Haven't sold it yet but planning on doing one of the car buying services. My Y delivery window is 9/6-9/9 so I'll probably start shopping it on Friday. In the spring, when I thought my delivery window was June, I got offers $18-20k from a couple of services and Tesla was much lower. The delivery delay will cost me unfortunately as I've added almost 10k miles since then (128k now).

Upvote 0