Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell-through & New cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like Tesla Canada won't allow you to do a sell through / convenience sale anymore. Their trade in values are pretty nasty - how have others dealt with it? Saving the tax on the trade in delta is really nice - anyone find a way to solve this?

Thanks,
Yes they will.
We ( Tesla Owners Club of Ontario) spent a significant amount of time working with Tesla, to re-instate this program. It was just added in the late spring of this year. They do not advertise this, but will do it. Ask your contact to check again.

I *think* they charge $1000 to do it - but worth it in tax savings

Yes they will.
We ( Tesla Owners Club of Ontario) spent a significant amount of time working with Tesla, to re-instate this program. It was just added in the late spring of this year. They do not advertise this, but will do it. Ask your contact to check again.

I *think* they charge $1000 to do it - but worth it in tax savings

Weird - they JUST told me it was removed again. I tried Oakville and Lawerence - consistent messaging. do you person to chat with?

Some more info here because I didn’t know either:
"Convenience Trade" in Ontario, anyone here done this?

Interesting approach. I definitely would have pursued this in hindsight, assuming Tesla still allows it.
That's crazy...so if I understood correctly, I could have had the person who bought my volt off of auto trader 'buy' it from Tesla for the same amount they paid me, but I would have saved 32k worth of taxes ($4,160) off of my model 3? Seems like a crazy loophole, but for sure I would have exploited it if I knew about it. The guy who bought my car is super nice, and we still keep in touch. He totally would have done this to help me out.

That's crazy...so if I understood correctly, I could have had the person who bought my volt off of auto trader 'buy' it from Tesla for the same amount they paid me, but I would have saved 32k worth of taxes ($4,160) off of my model 3? Seems like a crazy loophole, but for sure I would have exploited it if I knew about it. The guy who bought my car is super nice, and we still keep in touch. He totally would have done this to help me out.

Yes, this is my understanding. My buyer would have been amenable to this too. Knowing is half the battle. Next time...

I have done trade-in multiple times. My experience was to sell the existing car to the dealer and the dealer reduces the new car price - thus a reduction of HST of new car. However, when the dealer sales the old car to another person, that person must pay 13% HST.

"Convenience Trade" seems a saving of HST of buying the old car ... if this true, I would just pay $500 or $1000 to Tesla to sell and buy my old car back. Imagine my old car is worth of $80k. I would have the saving of the full Tesla M3 HST with only $500 fee.

I have done trade-in multiple times. My experience was to sell the existing car to the dealer and the dealer reduces the new car price - thus a reduction of HST of new car. However, when the dealer sales the old car to another person, that person must pay 13% HST.

"Convenience Trade" seems a saving of HST of buying the old car ... if this true, I would just pay $500 or $1000 to Tesla to sell and buy my old car back. Imagine my old car is worth of $80k. I would have the saving of the full Tesla M3 HST with only $500 fee.

When you buy the "old" car back, you would have to pay HST on the 80k. Someone gets stuck with the tax bill for sure.

It used to be that when you sold privately in Ontario they only paid GST... or PST - i forget. That was an advantage of buying private. Now its full HST, so that is why this trade in technique works well. You "sell" it privately, dealer takes no risk on the trade in, you get better value and everyone is happy!

To reawaken an old thread - I'm about to purchase and I may be able to do a private sale of my current car without bringing complete strangers into it. Will Tesla still apply that sale price to reduce my HST on the new car sale? And if so, what is the current fee?