Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling 2 powerwalls series 2 and gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope i am allowed to post this here, i need to sell 2 powerwall series 2 plus gateway, the powerwalls are already in my possession, in south Florida, just don't know how much i can get for it, any help will be appreciated.

This is likely way too late to help but I thought I’d at least comment in case someone comes looking later. My grandfather had 2 PowerWalls in TX and passed away about a year ago. The new owners of the house didn’t want any of the equipment (to get a cheaper price on the house). So I offered to take them. First, I live in central Florida and had to arrange my own transportation. That cost $1900 since they are fragile and very heavy. Then I had to pay Tesla $2500 to “relocate and install” out the door with everything, it was close to $5K for 2 free powerwalls. Although it’s certainly cheaper than buying new, the process was awful and drawn out and not getting a tax credit, I should have just bought 2 outright cause it wouldn’t have been that much more and I would have gotten new and longer warranty, plus tax credit.
I say this in case you haven’t sold them yet it would be hard to get what they are worth since the process is costly and long.
If anyone comes here looking for advice on buying or selling, this might help. In hindsight, I wouldn’t pay more than about 2K for them since it’s such a headache.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
They are about 300lb a piece. The gateway is only about 50lbs. The issue is, most companies won’t do the transfer or it will be an extreme markup since they cannot be stacked while being transported. What I did was rent a U-Haul and did it myself. That will be your cheapest but most annoying way. I got some quotes for moving companies around $2400-3000 for them to do it and I had low confidence in their ability to be careful. Tesla will not help at the transport. They unhook it from the current location and hook it up in the new location. That’s is all they will do and charge you $2500 to do it

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Wow and wow. Thanks for the info and background to your particular experience. Yeah I wouldn't have too much confidence in any moving company with such an item especially over long distance as well.

I will likely be visiting my home in Cape Coral come November, but to duplicate your process to obtain a Powerwall seems unlikely to me since the seller here looks to be in so Florida area.

Do you find the Powerwall to be worth it to you?

. They unhook it from the current location and hook it up in the new location. That’s is all they will do and charge you $2500 to do it

I'll have to do this soon also, but it's only moving 40 miles to our new house.

Do you think they'd transport it a short distance to re-install?

So did one crew un-install it and then you called them up for a different crew to re-install it? All for $2,500?

Let me answer a few of those questions in this one response:

I hired 4 moving guys to load the truck up for me. Tesla unhooked them and placed them on a pallet (that was already there). I had the moving guys lift each corner and place onto the U-Haul, then I tied them down into place. I had to work with a relocation expert at Tesla to coordinate both the removal and the install once I was back home in Florida. At the time (about 9 months ago) they had only ever done 1 other relocation, so it was totally new to them. They have now said that they have done a few more so I would expect the process to be a bit more seamless.

It took Tesla about 4 hours to re-install them. They had been uncharged for so long they needed to be "jumped" which required another visit a few weeks later. You pay a deposit at the beginning of the move and then a few times in between steps. Once installed and working, it needed permitting, which Tesla handled.

The slightly annoying part of it all was, I asked if i bought 1 new, could they include that in the install of the 2 used ones, since i would assume installing 2 vs 3 is not much difference and if you order 3 at once, its only 1 install cost, but they didn't let that happen, so I decided to just stick with the 2 i got for "free"

Is it worth it? not sure. It was an absolute headache of a process. The trip from TX to FL was exhausting and then took another 3 months to get them installed and working. I do love that its basically a whole home generator that doesn't require fuel and isn't loud like Gas generators. I've seen a smidgen of saving, electrically but nothing to really offset the cost.

I would buy new if that is in your means or unless like me, you get them for free or close to free. In hindsight (and sorry to any sellers reading this) wouldn't pay more than 1-2K each. Anymore than that and its better to just go new.

Since my home is about 3200 SQFT, and I have a Tesla, they quoted needed 4 power walls. I see about a $30 savings per month.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Great, thanks for the detailed write up!

Here's my somewhat odd situation. I have one referral PW2(and gateway) pending delivery to our new house (we close in about a month when I'll have it shipped out).

I also have one PW2 (signed version) in our current house that I want to get moved, and have Tesla install both at the new house.

But you said something that they won't do that? Strange. I think I'll have them deliver and install the PW2 that is pending delivery (with the $1000 install credit) and get that job done. Then I'll have them transfer the existing one to the new house, so it will already be all wired up, they'll just have to piggy-back the second one on top of the first and not do a whole new installation as that would have already been done.

I just don't know how I'm going to get it from Point A to Point B. I guess I'll need to hire four movers for an hour on each end?