Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling 2016 Model S P90D, - $55k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I received this trade-in offer from Tesla today (2/16/2020) so I'm gonna put it here. Note that Tesla's offer is for the car with the 19 inch wheels (window sticker only has 19 inch wheels). I can do $55k with the 21 inch wheels (tires have 3k miles on them) or $54k with the 19 inch wheels.

Before you ask, there is nothing wrong with the car. It is CPO, still under warranty (until Nov 2022 or another 30k miles), and had warranty work done a couple weeks ago (replaced side passenger mirror due to rattling).

Exterior condition: 21 inch Wheels have a ton of curb rash, especially on the back right, but again, I'm not putting much value on them. There is a small un-noticeable ding on the driver side quarter back panel (zoom into the third picture and you should be able to barely see it. It's smaller than the tip of a finger nail).

Interior condition: I think it's quite good. I don't smoke, but I do get the occasional drive thru. Nothing a detail wouldn't fix (no stains).

Mileage: 55,500 and counting

Price: $55k (or $54k if you let me swap out the pretty wheels for the factory 19 inch ones)

Most of the pictures were taken January 2020.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Looking to pull the trigger soon! Figured I would give TMC a chance before I send this off to Tesla.

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_2750.jpeg

IMG_2749.jpeg
IMG_6391.jpeg

IMG_6392.jpeg

IMG_6393.jpeg

IMG_1313.png

Attachments

• Monroney_5YJSA1E40GF137720.pdf
    234 KB · Views: 90
  • Informative
Reactions: cucubits and IdaX
We posted our perfect 12,000 mile 2016 X at the same price as our Tesla trade offer. People on TMC thought they could offer less than the Tesla offer. We traded in and Tesla sold our trade in days at a profit likely because it was absolutely as clean inside and out as new, it was actual cleaner than new because we have never received a nicely detailed new Tesla. Admittedly they did add a 4/50 CPO warranty so it was probably a wash for the new buyer. Before trading in Tesla did make us remove the optional Tesla factory red brake calipers and put the small 20" wheels back on the car because Tesla said the car had to match the build sheet or Tesla was going to discount our trade in offer price by the cost of the part replacements.

Last edited:
We posted our perfect 12,000 mile 2016 X at the same price as our Tesla trade offer. People on TMC thought they could offer less than the Tesla offer. We traded in and Tesla sold our trade in days at a profit likely because it was absolutely as clean inside and out as new, it was actual cleaner than new because we have never received a nicely detailed new Tesla. Admittedly they did add a 4/50 CPO warranty so it was probably a wash for the new buyer. Before trading in Tesla did make us remove the optional Tesla factory red brake calipers and put the small 20" wheels back on the car because Tesla said the car had to match the build sheet or Tesla was going to discount our trade in offer price by the cost of the part replacements.

The marketplace on this forum is the worst of any vehicle forum marketplace I've ever seen across several decades. That's saying something.

Users are allowed to be super rude here in the marketplace and it's scared a LOT of new members off because they sign up here to post a vehicle for sale and then are immediately met with rudeness and disrespect. If forums staff thinks that's a recipe for a successful community they're in for an awakening I guess because nobody is going to stick around for that. This is the only forum I've seen that basically allows the marketplace subforums to be run by bullies. All other forums have the marketplace guidelines clearly spelled out and then enforce them immediately. It doesn't take long and people start respecting each other and generally a good vibe spreads across the entire forum. Sure, some will post an item for sale for WAY more than market value but... so what? People ignore that and the seller usually has to discount the item to finally sell it. It's crazy though how some people are allowed to beat up other people's for sale listings out of personal gain because they can't afford a Tesla but really want one.

There's a lot of people here who dream of getting a Tesla and because they saw one cheap (often times a scam) now they think they're in the market if they can only get someone to discount their car $10k-$15k. lol

Car is beautiful and you are right next door to me in Indiana...I wish I could convince myself to spend $55,000.

Thanks! Nice to see a quickly growing interest in Indiana :)

Haha, this might be me as well. Given that Tesla often provides the left tail of trade-in offers, I don’t understand why people would offer less. Trading in a car is very easy, why would I forgo convenience to get $5,000 less?

The bit about the build sheet is interesting, in their inventory, I’ve seen used cars listed as having 22” onyx wheels actually display 20 inch silver wheels in the pictures. I guess it might be dependent on the service center, but if they have me remove the 21 inch wheels to match the 19 inch on the build sheet, I’d happily do it for them

Ostrichsak - YES!

Still available by the way, likely not going to trade this in for another Tesla.

Also got the car freshly detailed on March 18, 2020 (I felt bad for the local detail shop because they called me saying their schedule is completely empty, so I sent all my cars in).

how much did they give you for it?

>50k, It went towards a new car and I had multiple trade-ins. So I don't know how much went to the Tesla, but based on how much I wanted for the other car, the Tesla was given about 50k of weight. With the "tax benefit", where I pay taxes on the difference in trade-in and selling price of new car, the offer was an earshot from 55k when compared to a private party sale. They were pretty fantastic to work with, we more-or-less handled everything with "handshake" agreements, round numbers, and zero hassle.

Reactions: Mickie