Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling 2022 Model S LR reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2022 Model S Long Range (Midnight Silver Metallic, 19" Wheels, Black and White Premium Interior with Walnut Décor, Yoke Steering, Autopilot, Full Self-Driving Capability (can be removed)) that is ready for delivery in the SFO area (on hold till Jan 3). The reservation was made before the price hike which is $95k (including FSD but excludes registration/taxes). A similar build today will cost $110k and need to wait till July 2022, so the price increase is around 15K.

Reason for selling: Decided to get a Model X due to changes to personal life. I will need to pay 15k more and wait a year OR try to get someone to sell their reservation (like I am doing) and pay them the difference (which is the same 15K). So I am trying to sell my Model S reservation to offset the $15k price increase in the Model X. In other words, I am not trying to make a quick buck here, so pls don’t low ball. :)

Asking for $15k OBO, which gets you a 2022 Model S in a week rather than paying an extra 15k and wait 7 months (July 2022). Oh plus the tax savings on the difference 15k (~1.5k). Pls reply or DM if interested. Also, I am happy to trade if you have a grandfathered price Model X reservation!!

• Funny
Reactions: glide
Interesting. I thought you sold it. LOL

MS LR is regularly for sale in the existing inventory all the time. Get it in Jan is not a challenge for Model S LR, Model S Plaid, Model Y Performance, Model 3 Performance.

I don’t think people will buy from you for couple hundred saving on a 100k car which they can grab from Tesla by themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel
I

MS LR is regularly for sale in the existing inventory all the time. Get it in Jan is not a challenge for Model S LR, Model S Plaid, Model Y Performance, Model 3 Performance.

I don’t think people will buy from you for couple hundred saving on a 100k car which they can grab from Tesla by themselves.
I agree. A couple weeks ago, I was really looking for a reservation for a MS LR since I didnt want to wait until July next year, but new ones pop up in inventory pretty much daily, just waiting for the right combo. Feel like the market for selling reservations for MS LRs are prob in the 5k range if it was the price that was 15k less on the sticker. Listen, money is money, but to go through the transferring of an account, hoping it works, wiring or paypaling someone, to pay around the same price as just booking it through is normal channels is tough ask. I feel like MX refresh reservations could still command some sort of premium given the scarcity of them still.

I bought someone’s reservation for $2k just to take delivery by end of year and it was at the $85k MSRP.
People asking full $10-15k and those paying it are ridiculous. Just wait for an inventory vehicle to pop up, which is literally a few times a day

Not sure how you "thought" I sold it. It is available and I don't think we ever communicated with each other.

MS LR are NOT in sale in the existing inventory. There are plenty of Plaids but not LR. Also my expectation is 15k "OBO", OBO = or best offer!!!

I

I agree. A couple weeks ago, I was really looking for a reservation for a MS LR since I didnt want to wait until July next year, but new ones pop up in inventory pretty much daily, just waiting for the right combo. Feel like the market for selling reservations for MS LRs are prob in the 5k range if it was the price that was 15k less on the sticker. Listen, money is money, but to go through the transferring of an account, hoping it works, wiring or paypaling someone, to pay around the same price as just booking it through is normal channels is tough ask. I feel like MX refresh reservations could still command some sort of premium given the scarcity of them still.
I agree MX reservations are hard to get, I am looking for one right away. But there is a lot of interest for MS LR as well. Money is money, savings are savings end of the day...let it be 1k, 3k, or 5k plus sales tax. I am not here to make a quick buck. I am happy to trade my MS LR reservation for a MX LR reservation if any takers.

I just bought a LR reservation from a team member at about 5k. I am selling the long range reservation I grabbed last week from the inventory for 350$. The car can be picked up from Orange County Souther California by Sat.

Yes, LR is in inventory few times a day. you just need to keep refreshing it.

just a lot of risks to deal the transfer and virtual payment. if not 5k+ saving. I do not think people who can afford 100k will bother it. my two cents.

Reactions: Jjr077266
Lol. I friend grabbed an inventory car two hours ago. Just because theyre not on the site doesn’t mean they aren’t available. Just need to work with a sales person that can look at their daily spreadsheet and reserve one for you.

Also, with your type of attitude, you’re the last person I’d give any money to.

Lol, here we go “with my friend…” reasoning. And how much did your friend pay? Full price I believe and if he got a discount with my or someone else’s reservation isn’t that a saving? Anyhow. I actually meant “Good for you” without any attitude but eye sees what eyes want to see.

If tesla catches a potential buyer making this switch, they’ll cancel the order. $300 might be fair to purchase a reservation and risk it. $15k is so beyond absurd that I’m at a loss for words.

I spoke to Tesla and confirmed I can transfer my reservation before posting. Also I am dealing with folks quoting 15k, 20k on a MX reservation which I really need for my parents. If someone wants to trade an MX LR with my MS LR, I am ready for it including Tesla but they aren’t.

If tesla catches a potential buyer making this switch, they’ll cancel the order. $300 might be fair to purchase a reservation and risk it. $15k is so beyond absurd that I’m at a loss for words.
$300 to purchase a $15,000+ discount on a car? That the seller could take delivery and sell for an instant $10K minimum profit? Many buyers of this would just flip it, if you gave it away for $300. I think these are worth between $8K - $15K. Everyone knows Tesla doesn't officially support it. They'd never know unless someone told them, if done right.

$300 to purchase a $15,000+ discount on a car? That the seller could take delivery and sell for an instant $10K minimum profit? Many buyers of this would just flip it, if you gave it away for $300. I think these are worth between $8K - $15K. Everyone knows Tesla doesn't officially support it. They'd never know unless someone told them, if done right.
How do you do it right?

I have two Model Y FSD coming in two weeks and don't know what to do with them.

If I try to resell after purchase, the sales tax will take a big chunk out of the value .

I don't agree that this reservation is worth nothing like some might suggest. But take into account the extra legwork involved with transferring. I just bought a reservation and so I know the headache it can be.

Sellers best bet is offering the res at 7500 allowing the buyer to also save 7500 for dealing with the additional steps required. (Doable, and not a dealbreaker--but unorthodox)

I don't agree that this reservation is worth nothing like some might suggest. But take into account the extra legwork involved with transferring. I just bought a reservation and so I know the headache it can be.

Sellers best bet is offering the res at 7500 allowing the buyer to also save 7500 for dealing with the additional steps required. (Doable, and not a dealbreaker--but unorthodox)
Really not that many steps to take, they just take over the account. I sold one for $11.5K (for $15K discount), and you know what I saw a week later? The buyer posted the car for sale for when he took delivery. I had an $80K res, for a car that cost $95K, that he could probably sell for $100-$105K due to scarcity. I just don't see why the seller should be splitting the discount. Not to mention splitting it is actually more benefit for the buyer b/c besides the $15K discount they're also saving on $15K multiplied by their tax rate, and the Order Fee (up to $250, already paid by the seller). Those 2 alone could easily tally an extra $1,500 in value to the buyer of the res. Then to top it all off he can sell the car over sticker when he picks it up if he wants.

Really not that many steps to take, they just take over the account. I sold one for $11.5K (for $15K discount), and you know what I saw a week later? The buyer posted the car for sale for when he took delivery. I had an $80K res, for a car that cost $95K, that he could probably sell for $100-$105K due to scarcity. I just don't see why the seller should be splitting the discount. Not to mention splitting it is actually more benefit for the buyer b/c besides the $15K discount they're also saving on $15K multiplied by their tax rate, and the Order Fee (up to $250, already paid by the seller). Those 2 alone could easily tally an extra $1,500 in value to the buyer of the res. Then to top it all off he can sell the car over sticker when he picks it up if he wants.

Ask whatever you like but you take the chance of scaring people away and losing out on the sale altogether. Your res is worth nothing once they cancel it.

No one is paying 100-105 for a LR.

No one is paying 100-105 for a LR.
Feel like it's a weird dynamic with the LR. At 79.5k base, they would sell like hotcakes and want times would be a year. At 94.5k, it really makes you think, "Yea, it's a really really cool car, but it's 100k basically for a luxury sedan" (dont know everyone's financial situation, but you get it). When someone has a reservation for sale, somewhere in the middle is where I feel like there's still value for both parties. To think someone is gonna pay the difference between MSRP now and the reservation, I think, is not gonna happen. Inventory cars pop up every day for MS LRs and if you wait a week and watch the flow, you prob will end up with a config you want and you can get it within a week or two at today's MSRP.

But there's still value to a reservation that's legitimately 15k less than MSRP. Is it 3k?, 5k? It's prob some number around there given the situation. But if I'm ok with buying a 100k car, I am most likely going to order it on my own account and not have to worry about the transfer situation if I am saving 5k or less.