Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling A Beta Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CuriousM3, it sounds like they will remove the Beta in time, I suppose you could watch the firmware update and not accept the update and put it in not auto update mode.

Thanks, and does anyone else have experience buying a beta FSD and having it stick or not?

CuriousM3, it sounds like they will remove the Beta in time, I suppose you could watch the firmware update and not accept the update and put it in not auto update mode.

Thanks, and does anyone else have experience buying a beta FSD and having it stick or not?

Why does whether the "beta" sticks matter or not? If you sell the car directly to someone else, FSD itself will stay, and they can apply for the beta if they want it or if not, use "regular" FSD.

Reactions: preilly44
It will stick unless some wired crap happens like mine, then it’s lost forever. if it’s an original beta car, I think it is caught in limbo looking for a safety score that my car doesnt get, if it’s a safety score car then I think the new owners can opt out then back in to try and get it again if they lose it

It will stick unless some wired crap happens like mine, then it’s lost forever. if it’s an original beta car, I think it is caught in limbo looking for a safety score that my car doesnt get, if it’s a safety score car then I think the new owners can opt out then back in to try and get it again if they lose it

It literally will not. I just sold a 2020 model S. Anyone will buy it will want to make their own tesla account, and as soon as they pair it to their account, FSD beta will get removed. Safety Score Beta also states that all safety score data goes away when you remove the car from your account. I have also talked to 3 other people that I personally know who had FSD beta and sold the car for a new tesla -- FSD beta did not stick to their prior car and they did not automatically get into beta on their new car.

The only way you can get it to 'stick' would be if you don't install the next update. But then you'll miss out on upcoming fixes, features, etc. If you think it sticks, then post proof of it sticking when tesla accounts are changed for a car.

Mine stuck for about 2 months thru 3 updates with ZERO issues , then was rolled back on the next update due to an issue with FSD and early warning collision going off all the time.

Key difference is mine is an original beta car NO SAFETY SCORE, I don’t have any experience with cars that needed a safety score like yours. Original beta will stick , that was my experience till they ran into that issue back in November where they rolled it back.

No disagreeing with you , but we are talking about 2 difference scenarios. Those car with safety score FSD beta and those original Beta cars with no safety score. My car is different than most since it was an employee car , not a safety score car like your and most others. Hence my call out as original beta car with NO safety score.

Will agree to disagree, now my car is stuck in limbo queue, I tired opting out and in , nothing I do will allow the safety score for the first time on my car to initiate … its in limbo now

No need to post proof just sharing my experience

Last edited:
It's just a matter of time until the system catches it. FSD beta will not stick no matter how you got FSD; the tesla website literally says that. Maybe yours took a little longer to get flagged and removed so you thought it stuck. But given how you aren't in FSD beta anymore...it didn't really stick.

@everyone, So if you are buying from a seller directly, don't pay more because it has FSD beta because it won't stick. I've seen ppl trying to charge up to 5k more on Facebook groups for beta FSD cars. It WILL get flagged as soon as you open your own tesla account and link the VIN. Within the next 1-2 updates, you will get pushed back to the production release.

It's not an exception. It wouldn't have stuck. The FCW isn't what took you out of beta. Be in denial all you want; it wouldn't have stuck, it didn't stick, and you don't have beta. Live in whatever multiverse dimension you want to. There is no 'probably' about it. Tons of beta cars already sold, both original FSD enrolled and safety score enrolled.

As soon as you unpair your car from your tesla account, it will revert back to production software. There is no exception.