Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling a car through Vroom, Carvana, or Carmax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried selling their car through one of the online car buying sites? I am selling my current vehicle through Vroom while waiting on my Model 3 LR since they offered about 30% more than Tesla. What is the typical timeline for this and how smooth was the process?

Reactions: zh2oson
Has anyone tried selling their car through one of the online car buying sites? I am selling my current vehicle through Vroom while waiting on my Model 3 LR since they offered about 30% more than Tesla. What is the typical timeline for this and how smooth was the process?

Hey man I can't speak to how efficient or trustworthy Vroom is but I just sold mine last week to Carvana. It was really straightforward. Go to the website get the offer, upload all necessary documents, and then make an appointment for them to come and pick-up your car. One thing that got me stressed was that the money from the sale was deposited through ACH and this took 2-3 business days. In the meantime Tesla had my car ready to be delivered and they needed final payment. But other than this (which was my fault entirely) the process was extremely smooth.

sold my 2019 M3SR+ to Carvana, they pickuped the car, $6k more than Tesla's offer.

Sold my car to Carvana - process was very very easy. 10 minutes of work to get my price and appointment set - they showed up, had me a sign a few things, handed me a check and drove off with my car. Took them about 7 days to pay off the remainder of what was left on my loan.

Like the poster above said, do not do an instant payment. Take the check and deposit it at your bank - way better.

Vroom was smooth. The check was sent FedEx overnight within hours of the pickup. However, the vroom sales images that appeared later had two markings listed in the photos - not mine, as the car was literally perfect. Didn’t effect the transaction, but was disappointing.

Going through the process right now myself. The process has been ok so far...the big pain is waiting for FedEx with the purchase documents(they've been really slow since the snowstorm a couple of weeks ago). Hoping to have the deal done by the end of this week, which would be 2 weeks total. Vroom offered almost $3K more than Tesla so to me well worth a little bit of hassle.

I sold my Audi TTS thru Vroom. wow .what a seamless process. Quote was $3100 more than others. uploaded pics and info, offer made within 30 minutes, i accepted , uploaded their paperwork, power of attorney arrived few days later via fed ex, few days after that picked up the car from my house, emailed to tell me they were paying off the car, sent fed ex tracking number. after about 10 days from the beginning I got a message from my bank that the car was paid off. don't get me wrong I was nervous and fully expected some sort of major hiccup or less money being offered once they received it, but it was flawless for me. I would do it again.

Glad to hear of good experience with Carvana. I had a good experience too but it seemed a little sketchy. In the fall of 2019 I sold a 2004 Lexus RX330. CarMax offered about $3,000. Carvana about $3,4000. Two guys showed up to pick up the car, not a truck. As they were doing the paperwork they realized that they printed my check but forgot to pick it up off the printer. Sounded mostly like an honest mistake.

While checking things over (briefly) the guy noted there were some scuffs that might cause a problem. I raised a little stink and let them know that trying to give me less at this stage was going to be ugly. Apparently whoever approves those things didn't have a problem with it and I got the full quoted amount.

A young guy in my neighborhood, fresh out of college said he had interviewed with them. He said it sounded like a sales tactic.

Again, in the end it worked out and Carvana gave me the most money. But it left me wondering. If my story is unique that's good.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I sold both of our Hybrids to Carvana when we got both model 3's. The used car market is very hot right now. Both times, I checked Tesla, KBB, Carmax, Vroom, and Carvana. Carvana beat all of them both times and was $2,500 over KBB and $1,500 over Vroom and Carmax. I entered the info, got the quote, accepted, and uploaded the additional info on day one. It was accepted in one hour, and I scheduled a pickup the next day at my house. It was like that for both vehicles. It can't be easier than that. Sure I could have sold personally, in a gated community, fielding tons of calls an no-shows, etc. for a little more money, but my time is worth more than that.

Reactions: Exelion
I guess I got lucky Tesla actually offered me $500 more than Carvana for my car lol.
I sold my Audi TTS thru Vroom. wow .what a seamless process. Quote was $3100 more than others. uploaded pics and info, offer made within 30 minutes, i accepted , uploaded their paperwork, power of attorney arrived few days later via fed ex, few days after that picked up the car from my house, emailed to tell me they were paying off the car, sent fed ex tracking number. after about 10 days from the beginning I got a message from my bank that the car was paid off. don't get me wrong I was nervous and fully expected some sort of major hiccup or less money being offered once they received it, but it was flawless for me. I would do it again.
How do you get the extra money from paying off the loan? Like if I was quoted $13,000 but had $11,000 left on the loan. Do they send you a check for the difference?