Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling a Model 3 Performance - Anyone tried using the brokerage system to sell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never used this system before and wondered if anyone had any experience of it ? I’m in the Guildford area if you could recommend anywhere. I’m reluctant to use auto trader having experienced a few ‘unusual’ characters last time. (Of course I’ll start some research but the paperwork on the work car has been processed much quicker than expected and caught me on the hop). Thanks.

How does the process with Motorway actually work, ie what are the steps involved? Thanks

How it works • Motorway

the biggest faff (relatively speaking) is uploading all the Photos via the link they send you. Motorway don't handle any money transactions, I guess there is a chance you could get a dodgy dealer but I didn't hand over the keys to the collection company until my bank confirmed money was in my account, which meant the collection person was hanging around for a bit once he had checked over the car.

Reactions: Stretchquaker
Thanks for all the advice. I’m just waiting to hear back from one of the above suggestions so fingers crossed. Motorway seams to think the car is a LR not the performance and came out with an offer accordingly. (Apparently not unusual depending on how Tesla registered the car). Anyway I know if someone offered me a performance with half its warranty left for roughly the same price as a SR+ which one I would choose so I’m hoping for a sensible offer. On a side note I’ve been told they have to be careful advertising the car as having premium connectivity even though afaik that stays with the car. They say Tesla have a habit of ‘loosing‘ that in the transfer of ownership.

+1 for Motorway. See my recent experience here.

....although I understand that some members of this community have had positive experiences selling their Tesla M3's using Simon Jones. This might be a better option for you given the the relatively small number of M3's on the second hand market.
Doesn't Simon Jones take all the pictures on his driveway.. a nice little bungalow from the streetview picture somebody posted. He doesn't seem to have a workshop or anything a buyer might want pieceof mind over. All very well with closed premises and contactless delivery we've had for ages as buyers never actually get to see where they're buying from but thats changing now

If you want to use a dealer with a showroom,, facilities, workshop, wider choice of cars (to give buyers more confidence they're buying the right one) then Richard Symons is the guy I'd go to (and despite the similarity - no relation), He'll probably want a slightly bigger commission but he'll probably get a better price now people are visiting showrooms and actually see the cars before buying. Both of them may want to do it on a sale or return basis which will get you the best price if you can afford to wait long enough and do without the car while they sell it..

I sold my first Tesla through an advert on Autotrader and a dealer bought it for about 5k more than WBAC - I guess motorway is a slghtly easier way of doing the same thing and the route I'd take now and let the dealers fight it out amongst themselves.

Here’s the thing. And I wish I hadn’t mentioned to them now. But mine is the MP3- sometimes called the performance stealth or limited edition performance. But Tesla have registered the vehicle as the LR and the dealers so far have taken the view that it would have to be marketed as a LR with some kind of (unspecified) performance upgrade. I think they mean the acceleration boost tbh. I wonder if other MP3- owners have had the car registered this way ?

Here’s the thing. And I wish I hadn’t mentioned to them now. But mine is the MP3- sometimes called the performance stealth or limited edition performance. But Tesla have registered the vehicle as the LR and the dealers so far have taken the view that it would have to be marketed as a LR with some kind of (unspecified) performance upgrade. I think they mean the acceleration boost tbh. I wonder if other MP3- owners have had the car registered this way ?
I've seen a few of these sold by Saxton 4x4 - quite tempted by one myself.

Is yours a full fat M3P with the 20" wheels etc - or is it a stealth? I understand the stealth models are registered as LR.

Apart from your current dialemma it sounds like an insurance nightmare, do you tell them what’s on the V5 or tell them the “truth” in case you need to make a claim and the “truth” comes to light!

Just off the phone to Tesla. They say it’s registered on their system as a LR performance (Without the performance pack). Moreover they say and I quote “this was registered with the DVLA as a Long Range All Wheel Drive Performance“. I’m not sure where to go with it now. Tesla have kindly emailed confirmation but the dealers are nervous about calling it a performance. How odd.

If you look on the Tesla Website at their inventory, the full/proper name for the performance they use is "Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance"

Its only people on the internet that shorten it to "Model 3 Performance"

Yes as per the email from Tesla. But when they do a search (WBAC/Motorway/Dealers) it’s missing the reference to Performance. Albeit Tesla have stated they registered it exactly as you describe. Obviously this effects valuation. One poster above has said it is normal for the stealth version to be registered this way but it seems odd to me especially given what Tesla have said. Of course I have the correspondence from Tesla but it has confused things a little.