Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling a Tesla just got a lot harder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With regards to the warranty, Tesla offers an Extended Service Agreement that is transferable. So if you purchase the ESA you can sell your Tesla privately and offer essentially the same warranty as a CPO vehicle.

The ESA is not equivalent to the CPO warranty. The ESA has a $200 deductible AND requires all maintenance to be performed on schedule. The CPO warranty is the same as a new car warranty minus creaks and rattle repairs.

• Informative
Reactions: Buddyroe
The battery/DU warranty was retroactively upgraded to unlimited miles years ago.
Source?

AFAIK, this was never the case for 60 kWh Model S.
hasn't the DU issue been fixed in the newer cars? I had a DU replaced in my '14 but now with over 20k miles on my '15 I haven't had that issue, yet.
From Drive Unit Replacement Poll, maybe the Q revision is finally a good one? Those posts were from mid-2016.

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues is a failure from Oct 2016 as is New P100d model S failed!!!. Failure report from Dec 2015: Dual engine shut down on freeway. Anyone else?. DU replaced Oct 2016: Dual engine shut down on freeway. Anyone else?.

I'm sure there are more. I have very little time to hangout here anymore.

It's actually pretty amazing that used Teslas have depreciated so little and in such a low gas price environment. When gas prices at the pump spike(and cyclicly speaking they will) there should be a nice pop in the value of all Teslas.

Quote from the post you referenced, "That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period."

As I read it, that means unlimited miles during that eight year period. Otherwise, they would not have included "eight years" in the language. If it was truly unlimited, they would just have said unlimited. This is standard warranty language from every manufacuturer for a warranty that runs for a certain number or years / miles.

Quote from the post you referenced, "That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period."

As I read it, that means unlimited miles during that eight year period. Otherwise, they would not have included "eight years" in the language. If it was truly unlimited, they would just have said unlimited. This is standard warranty language from every manufacuturer for a warranty that runs for a certain number or years / miles.
The 85 always had an 8 year unlimited mile warranty, it was the old 60 and 40 that had the 8 year 125k mile warranty.

Reactions: cwerdna
Source?

AFAIK, this was never the case for 60 kWh Model S.

Infinite Mile Warranty

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

To investors in Tesla, I must acknowledge that this will have a moderately negative effect on Tesla earnings in the short term, as our warranty reserves will necessarily have to increase above current levels. This is amplified by the fact that we are doing so retroactively, not just for new customers. However, by doing the right thing for Tesla vehicle owners at this early stage of our company, I am confident that it will work out well in the long term.

• Informative
Reactions: Jay Hawk and byeLT4
The battery/DU warranty was retroactively upgraded to unlimited miles years ago.
Only on cars where the battery pack warranty was unlimited miles to begin with. This was not the case on the 60 kWh cars at the time the below was posted.

The Infinite Mile Warranty below was posted Aug 15, 2014.
Infinite Mile Warranty

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack.
Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced.
That's the sneaky part of their wording. They are increasing the DU warranty to match the battery pack warranty.

While it is true that the 85 kWh Model S had an 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty on the battery pack, thus the DU warranty would match it, the 60 kWh of the time did NOT come with an unlimited mileage warranty on the battery.

This is why there was discussion and coverage like the below:
40kWh drive unit warranty same as 60 | Tesla
Tesla Extends Drive Unit Warranty To Infinity And Beyond
"Info Update: The 60 kWh Model S versions now have a 8 year/125,000 mile warranty. (thanks to Omar for passing along the 60 kWh data)"

Tesla Model S Drivetrain Warranty Rises To 8 Years, Same As Battery Pack
"The company has now announced that it will increase the Model S drivetrain warranty to match that of the battery pack..

That means an 85-kilowatt-hour Model S will have an eight-year drivetrain warranty, with unlimited mileage, the company says. The 60-kWh cars will have eight years or 125,000 miles."

Vehicle Warranty still says
The Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S or X lithium-ion battery for a period of 8 years or unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km), whichever occurs first.

I do take one part back. I don't recall if there later came another 60 kWh Model S in 2015 or later that had the 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty on the pack and thus the DU, as well.

BTW, currently on Used Model S | Tesla, when sorted by price, the 1st 10 60 kWh cars I found (their 60 kWh filter is broken for me) are all model years prior to 2015 and thus would have the 8 year/125K mile DU and battery warranty. I stopped going any further.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jelloslug
I do take one part back. I don't recall if there later came another 60 kWh Model S in 2015 or later that had the 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty on the pack and thus the DU, as well.

tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty
Vehicle Warranty

The Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S or X lithium-ion battery for a period of 8 years or unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km), whichever occurs first. To provide you with even more assurance, the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a battery fire even if it is the result of driver error, subject to certain exclusions.

So 2012 - 2014 Model S 60 did not get the unlimited mile extension, 2015 and newer Model S 60 did.

All the extended range Used Teslas (Elon changed it from CPO to used) are between 50,000 and 100,000 miles (if over 100,000 it doesn't get listed in the new extended category as used with warranty). So even an old S60 will have some range left, and all the 85 will run out on time not miles.

In fact I just looked on ev-cpo.com and the most miles on a 60 right now was 78,155 with many of the cheap ones below 60,000 miles. Still I could see someone running the miles before the years with free supercharging.

Last edited:
No it's not. It's the same as the battery warranty, which on currently sold as new models is 8 year/unlimited mileage. So, it stops at the 8 year mark.

On the 60 kWh models, the battery warranty and thus the DU warranty is 8 years/125K miles. You can see the battery warranty at https://www.tesla.com/sites/default.../model_s_new_vehicle_limited_warranty_2.1.pdf.
What's going on w/the disagrees?

We've already established that 60 kWh Model S manufactured prior to 2015 did NOT get their battery nor DU warranties upgraded to (8 years)/unlimited miles, whichever comes first. I can't see how this qualifies was "retroactively upgraded to unlimited miles years ago".

On those vehicles, the DU warranty was made to match the battery warranty it came with: 8 years/125K miles.

And, as I said, I looked thru the first 10 (sorted by price) cheapest 60 kWh Model S vehicles at Used Model S | Tesla and at the time, all 10 of them were model years prior to 2015.

Welcome to the world of first-owner EV driving.

As a lifelong member of the second-owner club, we thank you for your willingness to experience massive depreciation.

The more technology musk packs into these cars, the faster they will depreciate.

Absolutely!!!

Remember when Elon said something like "Technology will continue to move forward" as in don't expect Tesla to support upgrading existing cars, especially with hardware retrofits?

Each hardware upgrade will exponentially depreciate the prior model vehicle value, and unlike most other vehicles not related to model year.

And by trying to unload existing inventory, Tesla has no interest in retaining resale value, for they just want to sell new vehicles.

If you want to frequently upgrade your Tesla, then leasing is the way to go, otherwise plan on selling one well below other vehicles depreciating resale values.

I dunno. Some of the newer PXXDs listed are significantly down. I thought I saw a 90 some odd thousand mile P85D for 67 and know there are/were several higher mileage P85Ds for low 70s. I just missed out on one that was pretty much what I was looking for but I was still debating on the new shorter warranty they have started offering.

Well month after month this site has people listing Model X for a profit after driving them a year, or guys in Mass or Ca or Colorado just act like 7500 tax credit + thousands in state discounts arent supposed to be calculated. Those who but a six-figure car maybe never had to realize the logistics of buying a car when they dont pick options or colors if they want a deal or you have a used up warranty or bald tires. Maybe bad history or high miles. The flip side is the first owners experience the car in its prime and pay the massive depreciation.

I kinda feel for resellers buying at auction on a car they cant service, but then they are getting undercut by EV-CPO and i just kinda laugh. A 2013 should be 50% depreciated and some of these cars started at 70k (minus tax credits). So good on Tesla to make good cars dip in the 30s.

The model3 will make many model S look archaic. The nose cone will only be a choice of those who owned one. Model Y and the massive wave of EV coming out in 2yrs+ will make the long wait for a model3 feel so worth it!