Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling after 5k NJ rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that all the resale prices are sky high I was looking into selling and upgrading. I was able to get the 5k nj rebate last year but noticed that it says requires 3 years of ownership. Has anybody had any experience with selling after receiving the rebate?

Thanks

Reactions: NJEV-Don
I don't have an answer but thought about the same thing as new EVs are coming out all the time (Mach-E, RT1, Lightening) or maybe someday CT. Maybe if you don't go back to ICE it's OK? Don't know. NJ is pretty bad at connecting the dots on things. Theoretically, the MVS would be able to tell the charge-up people that your car was sold, but how would they clawback the rebate - take you to court? I figure I'll keep my 3 as there isn't any thing on the near horizon that I would replace it with. Figure I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Reactions: kayak1
I don’t think he’s looking to call attention to it and give back the $5000.
I mean you are violating the terms of the agreement that you signed. No one else has an answer. Sure, you’ll probably get away with it but go straight to the source for the answer.

It also goes against the spirit of the program. I don’t think the state should be subsidizing car flippers. Goal is to promote long term EV ownership, like make a quick buck. That’s just my take.

Reactions: CliffG
I mean you are violating the terms of the agreement that you signed. No one else has an answer. Sure, you’ll probably get away with it but go straight to the source for the answer.

It also goes against the spirit of the program. I don’t think the state should be subsidizing car flippers. Goal is to promote long term EV ownership, like make a quick buck. That’s just my take.
Next car would be an ev so it would be in the spirit of the program. I don't plan on ever buying another ice car given the choice.

If he flips it and buys another EV it doesn’t negate the “spirit” of the program because his first EV is still in the world NOT polluting it. The rebate has served its purpose to a degree. It’s up to him to figure it out.

Reactions: kayak1
Of course they are. He (the OP) was looking for advice and opinions, not condemnation from people looking to Narc on him.
Yeah, Thanks not sure what the hostility is for from some people. Also I am looking to purchase another EV not go and scam the system or something. I just wanted to know if others have gone through with it and if they do come after you for a prorated amount full amount or no amount.

Reactions: kayak1 and NJEV-Don
I'm also considering selling my M3P and getting the 2022 M3P. Not sure how helpful this is but I found this on their website. It says may be required:

Failure to Adhere to the Program Requirements
If a vehicle for which an incentive payment was issued is sold, returned, or traded in, or if a lease is transferred or assumed by another party prior to expiration of the minimum ownership period or lease agreement, or if the applicant moves out of state, the purchaser or lessee may be required to reimburse the Program. Exemption from the 36-month period set forth in Section IV above may be allowed if necessitated by unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances, such as military relocation outside the State of New Jersey, death of an applicant, or determination by the Program Administrator that the vehicle has been totaled.

To qualify for an exemption, applicants will be required to submit a written request to the CSE and include official documentation demonstrating proof of one of the above noted circumstances. The CSE will review all submitted exemption requests and respond back with either an approval, denial, or request for additional documentation within 14 days of submission. All exemption requests will be stored with the original application in the incentive processing platform. To request an exemption for a special circumstance other than those listed above, an applicant can submit a written request explaining the circumstances along with any official corresponding documentation. The CSE will review the exemption request with the BPU to determine if the requirements for an exemption have been met.

• Funny
Reactions: vusvus and mociaf9
Yeah, Thanks not sure what the hostility is for from some people. Also I am looking to purchase another EV not go and scam the system or something. I just wanted to know if others have gone through with it and if they do come after you for a prorated amount full amount or no amount.
I would look at the terms of the agreement. I do recall that if you don’t live up to the three-year obligation the state gets back a pro rata share of the amount. One thing to note is that this would also apply if you moved out of state, so there is some relevance to the question to all to all who benefited from it

So I'm in the process of selling my 2021 M3P. Driveway is telling me that they are having a hold up with my sale because of the rebate. Sounds like NJ will be clawing back a portion of the rebate. Not sure how much yet. Too bad I don't get credit for buying another M3P.