Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling after 5k NJ rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The details are literally in Post 14 - it says you have to reimburse the program unless you are granted an exemption. So make up a sob story and ask for an exemption if you want to get around it.
Actually it says you “may be” required to reimburse in addiction to asking for an exemption. I wouldn’t stress about it. They’ll either contact you and ask for all or a portion of the money back or they won’t. If the OP keeps asking here someone might rat him out and report him And then the state WILL come calling.

Actually it says you “may be” required to reimburse in addiction to asking for an exemption. I wouldn’t stress about it. They’ll either contact you and ask for all or a portion of the money back or they won’t. If the OP keeps asking here someone might rat him out and report him And then the state WILL come calling.
It says "may be" because there are exemptions, and the most recent poster already indicated that they are trying to get the money back as part of the sale transaction. The rules seem clear. You won't be able to transfer the car without paying it back, unless you receive an exemption, for which the process is clearly defined....

So I'm in the process of selling my 2021 M3P. Driveway is telling me that they are having a hold up with my sale because of the rebate. Sounds like NJ will be clawing back a portion of the rebate. Not sure how much yet. Too bad I don't get credit for buying another M3P.
I’m confused as to how a 2021 M3P qualified for the rebate.

As of July 2021, the rebate was $5k up to 45k MSRP and $2k up to 55k MSRP, IIRC.

Wasn’t a M3P around $59k at that time?

It says "may be" because there are exemptions, and the most recent poster already indicated that they are trying to get the money back as part of the sale transaction. The rules seem clear. You won't be able to transfer the car without paying it back, unless you receive an exemption, for which the process is clearly defined....
We will agree to disagree. I don’t believe the “process is clearly defined”. It’s the government and bureaucracy we are talking about. None of us truly knows how it all works. I realize his sale has been flagged by the state with the company he’s looking to sell to. I’ve seen others post on this topic in other threads that have never been flagged. Maybe they will be and be asked to reimburse the money but maybe not. It’s a crap shoot in my opinion.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
I’m confused as to how a 2021 M3P qualified for the rebate.

As of July 2021, the rebate was $5k up to 45k MSRP and $2k up to 55k MSRP, IIRC.

Wasn’t a M3P around $59k at that time?
My 2021 was delivered on 12/28/20 so I made the 2020 rebate deadline. The M3P was $54,990 at the time and the rebate was for $5K up to a $55K EV. I didn't receive the rebate until July 2021 or so because the fund ran out of money. I'm not whining about having to pay the rebate back. I factored it back into my new purchase. I'm just providing a first hand update to the OP from my current experience.

Reactions: MG535
My 2021 was delivered on 12/28/20 so I made the 2020 rebate deadline. The M3P was $54,990 at the time and the rebate was for $5K up to a $55K EV. I didn't receive the rebate until July 2021 or so because the fund ran out of money. I'm not whining about having to pay the rebate back. I factored it back into my new purchase. I'm just providing a first hand update to the OP from my current experience.

Thx do you have an update on what happened w payback thx

"If a vehicle purchaser or lessee sells or returns the incentivized vehicle to the dealership and does not receive prior approval, the BPU or its designee reserves the right to recoup Charge Up New Jersey funds from the original vehicle purchaser identified on the application form. If the Terms and Conditions of a previous application are not fulfilled, any/all new applications under the applicant’s name are subject to a temporary hold. The hold will remain in effect until the previous application’s Terms and Conditions have been met and/or funds are returned to the Program Administrator."

So the hold should be on the original purchaser, not the new purchaser. Which makes sense. They essentially can hold you from registering another vehicle in NJ under your name. Not sure why Driveway would be the one bein held up. The rebate did not go to them, so they're not the ones NJ should go after.

jonboyTMY DMed me so I thought I would update what happened. Driveway ghosted me so I went with Givemethevin. I didn't have to wait for them to check on the rebate status of the car. They had me take the car to the Mannheim auto center in NJ where I dropped it off. Their check went through no problem. I haven't been contacted by NJ about a refund of the incentive. I figure if I have to, it will be pro-rated. I also bought another M3P so I wonder if that will count towards anything.

Reactions: jonboyTMY