Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Put in my order for a Model Y AWD/LR. I've done so much research on the big debate about wheels and going from 19's to 20's etc. I've finally decided that I'm going to get Martian 20's (8.5) because they are still lighter than the 19 Gemini's and with 4inches of sidewall and forged wheels, I'll still have a safe ride without the worry of potholes.

With all that I ordered the car with 19 Gemini's. I'm planning to drive it from the delivery lot to discount tire to get the Martians put on right away. Hence I can sell the Gemini's with tires brand new. Does anyone have any idea what I should price them at? Since I'm selling them brand new with the tires could I get at least $2,500 or more for them?
Also where would be the best place to sell them? Craigslist? Ebay? On some Tesla forum?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Regards,

Benjamin.

Perfect. May I ask apprx what your shipping cost was? And who you used?

Thank you.

Sure...it was about $40/wheel ($160 total) from SoCal to WA. UPS was the least expensive. I shipped as “one shipment” with four packages. That got me the best rate vs shipping them as separate shipments.

ETA: If you can, save the boxes from your Martians. I saved the boxes from my Vossen upgrade and used those to ship the Geminis. That saved some $$ and hassle trying to find an appropriate shipping box.

Last edited:
Reactions: tez_man
Sure...it was about $40/wheel ($160 total) from SoCal to WA. UPS was the least expensive. I shipped as “one shipment” with four packages. That got me the best rate vs shipping them as separate shipments.

ETA: If you can, save the boxes from your Martians. I saved the boxes from my Vossen upgrade and used those to ship the Geminis. That saved some $$ and hassle trying to find an appropriate shipping box.
Perfect. That is what I was planning to do. As in use the Martian's boxes to ship the Gemini's. Thank you so much for the info.

Also I saw some Vossen's on a MY on youtube. They looked amazing. Do you think they are better than the Martians for the MY? Or was there a diff reason why you picked those over the other aftermarket wheels? What has been your experience with them so far?

For me the Martians seem to be the way to go because they are forged aka stronger than the stock wheels, lighter than the stock wheels so they should increase range efficiency being lighter I was told they would be a smoother ride since they're not as hard on the suspension.

I'd be pretty surprised if aftermarket wheels are more efficient than the Geminis with the covers on. Aftermarket wheels that I've seen are lighter, which helps with ride quality and a little with acceleration. The tire rolling resistance and wheel wind drag are the main drivers for overall efficiency; I think the Conti with Gemini+covers is about as good as it gets there.

I'd be pretty surprised if aftermarket wheels are more efficient than the Geminis with the covers on. Aftermarket wheels that I've seen are lighter, which helps with ride quality and a little with acceleration. The tire rolling resistance and wheel wind drag are the main drivers for overall efficiency; I think the Conti with Gemini+covers is about as good as it gets there.

So my logic was that the martians are forged wheels and hence they would be more protected and durable in case of road damage aka potholes etc. That to me is more of a long term view of not risking damage to the stock wheel which would end up being expensive.
In terms of the efficiency the martian 19x8.5 are so much lighter than the Gemini 19x9.5's I figured even though they don't have the plastic aerodynamic covers, the lightness of the wheel would essentially even out any loss in efficiency from not having the wheel covers.

In terms of tires, I'm guessing I could use the same tires or diff ones. Either way I was told that the difference in range at that point would be so minimal if there even was any difference, that it would not matter at all. Please correct me if I am wrong. :)

Also you talked about tire rolling resistance. What are you referring to with that? The thickness of the tire? Or the type of compound?

Perfect. That is what I was planning to do. As in use the Martian's boxes to ship the Gemini's. Thank you so much for the info.

Also I saw some Vossen's on a MY on youtube. They looked amazing. Do you think they are better than the Martians for the MY? Or was there a diff reason why you picked those over the other aftermarket wheels? What has been your experience with them so far?

For me the Martians seem to be the way to go because they are forged aka stronger than the stock wheels, lighter than the stock wheels so they should increase range efficiency being lighter I was told they would be a smoother ride since they're not as hard on the suspension.

I went with Vossen HF-3’s (powder coated Satin Black) purely for looks. I stayed with the OEM 19” tires for ride quality and sidewall (I tow occasionally and drive off-road once in a while (fire roads, no bouldering haha!!). They are 19x9.5 +40 offset. They fit perfectly. I also had the calipers painted orange.

Here’s some glamour shots the shop that installed them sent me.

A9EF51A3-E544-465A-BD65-2BCD64543969.jpeg
D9B8A14D-AD6B-4749-86CB-1E4A7F84F273.jpeg

Reactions: eglee413 and KJD
I went with Vossen HF-3’s (powder coated Satin Black) purely for looks. I stayed with the OEM 19” tires for ride quality and sidewall (I tow occasionally and drive off-road once in a while (fire roads, no bouldering haha!!). They are 19x9.5 +40 offset. They fit perfectly. I also had the calipers painted orange.

Here’s some glamour shots the shop that installed them sent me.

View attachment 614917 View attachment 614918

Danngggggg WOW. Just WOW. They look amazing as does your car itself. :)

Did you see a big loss in range, going from the Gemini's with covers to the HF-3's? (are they lighter than the Gemini's?)
Also is your car lowered? The 19's seem to fill your wheel space really well.

Lastly did you get your car wrapped? That color looks so unique.

Danngggggg WOW. Just WOW. They look amazing as does your car itself. :)

Did you see a big loss in range, going from the Gemini's with covers to the HF-3's? (are they lighter than the Gemini's?)
Also is your car lowered? The 19's seem to fill your wheel space really well.

Lastly did you get your car wrapped? That color looks so unique.

I know this will sound like heresy around here (haha!!) but I don’t pay attention to range on an EV any more than I paid attention to gas mileage on my former ICE cars. I just drive them during the day and charge to 90% overnight (to 100% if I’m going to go far, like you’d fill your gas tank before a trip).

No, car isn’t lowered at all. And no wrap, that’s just MSM after two-stage paint correction and two-layer ceramic coat.

Here’s a non-glamour iPhone 11 pic under smoky SoCal skies back in September. You can see the normal amount of clearance in the wheel wells.

65FCBD82-AEF4-4D98-A9D4-DC30E1FB6A0D.jpeg

I know this will sound like heresy around here (haha!!) but I don’t pay attention to range on an EV any more than I paid attention to gas mileage on my former ICE cars. I just drive them during the day and charge to 90% overnight (to 100% if I’m going to go far, like you’d fill your gas tank before a trip).

No, car isn’t lowered at all. And no wrap, that’s just MSM after two-stage paint correction and two-layer ceramic coat.

Here’s a non-glamour iPhone 11 pic under smoky SoCal skies back in September. You can see the normal amount of clearance in the wheel wells.

View attachment 615005

Hot Dang. So ceramic really does work lol.
Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here salivating over this beauty of a car. :)

I finally received my matte black TSportline wheels. Worth the wait as the look great and are well made.

I just wanted the old wheels out of my garage quickly, so I sold for $700 in a few hours on eBay. Watch out for shipping charges. I undercalled what it costs. Was around $250 to ship 5 boxes (wheels + hubcaps) from AZ to CA UPS ground.

I finally received my matte black TSportline wheels. Worth the wait as the look great and are well made.

I just wanted the old wheels out of my garage quickly, so I sold for $700 in a few hours on eBay. Watch out for shipping charges. I undercalled what it costs. Was around $250 to ship 5 boxes (wheels + hubcaps) from AZ to CA UPS ground.

well darn, that’s a bummer. May have been worth a road trip for me to pick them up. Been keeping an eye for some.

I was the one who bought them and they are getting installed as I type :)

Reactions: laservet