Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Checklist (and Advice) Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of selling my 2016.5 Model S P100D that I bought new, to Vroom. I want to make sure I don't screw this up! I am not a techie. I got my first smartphone this year as a gift! <grin> The car includes "free unlimited supercharging." IIRC it also includes free lifetime connectivity. I want to make sure I erase all my personal info to prevent potential future problems "and" I want to make sure that whoever ends up with this car gets what they are entitled to. While discussing another issue with a Tesla tech support person on the phone, he told me not to remove the car from my account prematurely or the new owner would not get the free supercharging and/or connectivity? I went to do a "Factory Reset" and the warning I got on the car's screen made me stop out of fear that I might blow it for the new owner? I "Have" to protect myself. I would like future owners of the car to get free supercharging and connectivity if possible? I watched a video on youtube and I'm now convinced that I need to do a "Factory Reset." On the car's "factory reset" screen, it says, "If you're transferring ownership of this Model S, contact Tesla to transfer mobile app access of this vehicle to the new owner." How's that going to work? I would think Vroom would be considered a middle man while the person who ultimately get the car would be considered the new owner I would think? I guess I'll call Tesla and see what they have to say about all this.
Here is what I've done or at least "think" I've done so far:

1. Removed my iphone from the bluetooth system. (Forget Phone?)
2. Disabled wifi connection (Forget Network?)

To do list:

1. Contact Tesla regarding:
Mobile App for new owner
Transfer of car to new owner's account
Supercharging for new owner
Premium connectivity for new owner
2. Factory Reset after ok from Tesla

What have I missed?

If you choose not to do the factory reset, manually erase your addresses in the NAV, and erase your garage door settings in Homelink. If you look on the Tesla.com account page, there is a place for the buyer to add a car it bought from another. I don't think this is your problem.

Pretty sure you just need to factory reset then remove any phones you have set as keys (M3/MY only maybe). This should clear all info. Then you log into your Tesla account and click manage then sold to third party Remove Car. I don't think you transfer to Vroom through the app and then transfer again. You just release the car on Tesla.com and the new owner will have to request permission from Tesla to have app access as Vroom will likely not want you to know who the new owner is. And I can't imagine Vroom has a corporate Tesla App account or want any of their employees to have app "ownership" of vehicles. I am selling my car now and Vroom has not asked about transferring ownership through app so I am not going to worry about that. They will have two key cards to be able to drive it and give to the new owner.

My last decision if figuring out whether to release the car through Tesla.com when they pick up the vehicle or wait until they send me the money as I would still be able to track though the app in case something happens.

Thank you! If you haven't already fully committed to Vroom you might want to rethink the choice if you are in any hurry to sell the car. I haven't been in a big rush and had other things I needed to get done first but, I've been waiting a month for them to pick up the car. I finally left a phone message yesterday for someone, who had emailed me from another company, "rpmmoves.com" that is doing the pick up for Vroom. Haven't heard anything back yet so they must be "Really" busy?

Pretty sure you just need to factory reset then remove any phones you have set as keys (M3/MY only maybe). This should clear all info. Then you log into your Tesla account and click manage then sold to third party Remove Car. I don't think you transfer to Vroom through the app and then transfer again. You just release the car on Tesla.com and the new owner will have to request permission from Tesla to have app access as Vroom will likely not want you to know who the new owner is. And I can't imagine Vroom has a corporate Tesla App account or want any of their employees to have app "ownership" of vehicles. I am selling my car now and Vroom has not asked about transferring ownership through app so I am not going to worry about that. They will have two key cards to be able to drive it and give to the new owner.

My last decision if figuring out whether to release the car through Tesla.com when they pick up the vehicle or wait until they send me the money as I would still be able to track though the app in case something happens.
"My last decision if figuring out whether to release the car through Tesla.com when they pick up the vehicle or wait until they send me the money as I would still be able to track though the app in case something happens."

I'm wondering the same thing? I'm guessing I might have more to lose by not removing the car from my account, with the potential for identity theft or whatever, than the advantage of still having some contact with the car by not removing it from the account?

"My last decision if figuring out whether to release the car through Tesla.com when they pick up the vehicle or wait until they send me the money as I would still be able to track though the app in case something happens."

I'm wondering the same thing? I'm guessing I might have more to lose by not removing the car from my account, with the potential for identity theft or whatever, than the advantage of still having some contact with the car by not removing it from the account?
How can there be identity theft? The online ownership through Tesla and the app has nothing to do with the physical ownership or location of the car. At least that is my understanding. There are no profiles or anything on the car. And you can’t add anything through the car anymore. Everything is done through the app. Premium connectivity, paid upgrades, etc. Someone sitting in the car will not be able to access any of your information. I think the only thing they could do is incur supercharging costs if you have a credit card linked to your account. I have to check to see if I can remove payment for that car but not my others.

How can there be identity theft? The online ownership through Tesla and the app has nothing to do with the physical ownership or location of the car. At least that is my understanding. There are no profiles or anything on the car. And you can’t add anything through the car anymore. Everything is done through the app. Premium connectivity, paid upgrades, etc. Someone sitting in the car will not be able to access any of your information. I think the only thing they could do is incur supercharging costs if you have a credit card linked to your account. I have to check to see if I can remove payment for that car but not my others.
Thank you for your help!

No luck on removing payment so I guess the catch-22 is do I want to know where the car is until I get the check and potentially risk them supercharging? I have a feeling it will go straight to their warehouse where the will inspect, clean and take pictures for the website.

My transport guy said some of the other cars on the transport had been picked up at an auction but most vroom cars go to one of their warehouses to get cleaned up then pictures online. If you had someone like the first driver who was going to pick up, I wouldn’t believe a word he said.