Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling current car to fund Tesla Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3P_W8

2021 M3P
Jan 12, 2021
UK
I recognise that this isn't strictly a Tesla specific topic, but I thought I'd share my experience nevertheless in the hope it might help others in future.

Like many others I needed to sell my current car, a '2017 Mercedes A220d Premium+' to fund the purchase of my new Tesla, an M3P that's been on order for what feels like forever!

Selling cars is not something I have ever enjoyed, so naturally I started by looking to see what Tesla would offer in part exchange and compared that with WBAC. I received several wildly differing quotes over the space of a few months with little mileage difference in between:

All the estimates I received are tabulated below:

Date
Mileage
Tesla P/X
WBAC
Motorway.co.uk
Oct 2020​
41,200​
£16,600​
£16,000​
N/A​
Jan 2021​
41,359​
£14,300​
£16,000​
N/A​
April 2021​
41,850​
£12,950​
£14,500​
£14,996​
May 2021​
42,143​
N/A​
£15,265​
£15,616​

I should have ripped Tesla's proverbial arm off in October 2020 and ordered the M3P then with their P/X offer of £16,600, but I was unfortunately not quite in a position to do so.

I did however place my order in early January, luckily shortly before the £3.5k Tesla price hike!

The final p/x offer I received from Tesla in April 2021 was simply too low for me to swallow even though I would have loved the convenience. I also had an additional issue with the tax, MOT and annual service being due in the next few weeks, likely before I get my M3P.

I therefore decide to try my luck proceeding with £15,616 estimate I was provided by Motorway.co.uk.

Using their website, I entered the full specification of the car and reported the damage (4 scuffed alloys, medium scuff on passenger door and a few minor stone chips on bonnet), I then received a link via SMS which took me to a website where I could take and upload the required photos. Following this I received a revised sale estimate of £15,024.

A day later the car was posted on their daily sales list where 3000+ dealers (allegedly!) had an opportunity to place a bid.. At 3pm on the dot, I received notification of the highest bid which I was very pleased to learn was £15,767.

I was contact by the dealer a day or so later who explained the process. I started to get a little nervous at this point as the dealer was keen to point out that if upon collection they found issues that hadn't been declared, the offer amount would be reduced accordingly. We arranged collection for today.

Yesterday I found a break in the rain to give the car a good clean (usually pay others to do that for me!) and in doing so noticed a few chips that I hadn't been aware of. To try and avoid any unpleasant surprises, I therefore took some new photos of what I'd found and shared them with the dealer. They didn't reply!

I had a nervous wait today before a pleasant chap arrived to inspect the car. This wasn't the dealer, but someone contracted by them to inspect and collect vehicles on their behalf. The inspection was quick and painless. He didn't seem to care about the additional road rash I'd found, but did notice one of the tyres had worn unevenly (borderline illegal) and also a small dent on the bumper that I was aware of, but had kind of hoped they wouldn't notice!

There was a quick call between the person who visited and the dealer and I was quickly made a revised offer of £15,500 due to the additional dent and tyre which I duly accepted. This amount was transferred into my account with 5 minutes, I handed over the two keys and waved the car goodbye. The whole inspection/hand-over process lasted no more than 15 minutes.

From start to finish, the whole process was concluded (with money in the bank) in 8 days.

In retrospect I was very happy with the Motorway.co.uk process, but I did have some anxiety related to having to potentially re-negotiate upon inspection. This anxiety turned out to be largely unfounded.

To conclude, I would recommend the motorway.co.uk route to others who want to avoid the hassle of a private sale, but be sure to accurately document all known damage to avoid any last minute 'chipping' off their accepted offer.

* I would like to emphasise that I have no affiliation with any of the organisations mentioned.

Interesting to read! - I have an order on a M3 LR AWD which I’m picking up this coming weekend and also had a car to trade - An early 2018 GLC 350D - I was offered £24K by Tesla as a p/x which was far too low and managed to sell for £28K to WBAC with minimal fuss - a bit annoyed I didn’t check with motorway now ha

This is almost exactly what my experience was. Initial Tesla quote was great, put the idea in my head and started getting things in order to eventually place an order.

When I finally did, the trade in quote was abysmal and I went with motorway.

Interesting that mine wasn't just a fluke then.

I’m going the WBAC route as well. Tesla P/x takes the mick!
I don't have personal experience of WBAC, but from what I've read you can guarantee they will chip away at the quote when you get there. I understand that their quote will also simply be based on model and mileage only, and not consider any options the vehicle might have.

The primary thing that attracted me to motorway was that multiple dealers bid, so if you have been completely honest and declared all damage (including the minor damage!) you can be confident of getting the best possible non-private sale price.

The WBAC process is probably quicker though, if that is important.

Reactions: Beady3647
I used motorway to sell my Troc. It was excellent and got way more than other sites. The other place which is fairly good is the Arnold Clark buy your car branches. They also beat WBAC hands down and they have physical places you can go to.

I too used Motorway back in September last year, when I bought my M3P. I had a 2018 Golf R to sell and via Motorway actually sold it for a little more than I was expecting! The whole process was very easy and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them or use them again.

Same experience here. I was looking at the Tesla trade in as a backstop should the private sale of my car fail. In the end I ended up selling my M2 to EvansHalshaw who paid nearly the quoted amount. The process was the most painless car buying/ selling experience I ever enjoyed, even got the money on the same day. The other backstop was WBAC who quoted a couple of hundred pounds more, but I knew that there would be reductions.
Obviously ordered the M3 LR the very next day!!!

Similar story here, I had a Mercedes AMG C63 Estate to trade in. WBAC made a similar offer to Motorway, both £3k or so above Tesla's part ex offer. The WBAC experience was painless, no attempt to chip away at the price offered. The deal was done on Monday 10th May, they paid off the finance and my money was in the bank on Friday, so I coupl pay the deposit on the M3ER, in time for collection on 22nd May.

Similar story here, I had a Mercedes AMG C63 Estate to trade in. WBAC made a similar offer to Motorway, both £3k or so above Tesla's part ex offer. The WBAC experience was painless, no attempt to chip away at the price offered. The deal was done on Monday 10th May, they paid off the finance and my money was in the bank on Friday, so I coupl pay the deposit on the M3ER, in time for collection on 22nd May.
I think the primary difference between WBAC and Motorway.co.uk is that with WBAC you can guarantee that you won't get any more than their estimate (and most likely will get less). With Motorway.co.uk there is always a chance that you will get more than their initial estimate after you have provided the full specification and photos and all the dealers have submitted their bids.

I’m literally selling my old car 1/4 mile away and 2 hours ahead of picking up my Tesla. I’ve used WBAC before and they gave me a good deal on my old Golf GTi at 155k miles the last time.
So sell my car. Quick walk, grab a coffee and wait a little bit and drive away in a new Tesla. It’s going to be an interesting day

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Why Are there so many negative reports about WBAC?
I suspect that seller expectations start off too high and sellers are blind to the faults in the car.
Exactly that Peter, as mentioned they gave me a very good price for my car (I think it was £400 under the online price due to curbed wheels and a small dent...which was fair enough) I was chatting with the lady there about some of the bad feedback I have read online - she said often it’s people with much older cars with lots of faults, they turn up and then get annoyed the price drops inline with faults/ damage

Reactions: Puzuk
I suspect that seller expectations start off too high and sellers are blind to the faults in the car.

she said often it’s people with much older cars with lots of faults, they turn up and then get annoyed the price drops inline with faults/ damage

I think what you both say is probably correct. People do have unrealistic expectations, but the majority of us buy/sell cars infrequently so it's understandable why this would be the case.

The reason I went with Motorway.co.uk was to minimise those unknowns and to maximise my sale price (without selling privately).

For example, with WBAC you get one quote and the only way is down from there. In my case, I suspect I would have received significantly less than the £15,265 WBAC had quoted due to the 4 scuffed alloys and other minor paintwork damage.

With Motorway.co.uk I received £15,500. All the dealers who 'bid' for my car knew about the bulk of the damage as I'd photographed and shared it beforehand.

As mentioned in my OP, you are not imune from price 'chipping' using Motorway.co.uk (I was knocked down a couple of hundred quid due to a couple of things I hadn't declared), but I would expect it to be much less of an issue.

WBAC is probably quicker and easier so I can understand why some would chose that route. But in my circumstance I know that I got a much better deal for my car through Motorway.co.uk.

.... I realise that I probably sound like I'm on commission from Motorway.co.uk! I'm not! I was just very happy with my experience and wanted to share that with this community who have provided me with a wealth of information and help as I embark on my Tesla ownership journey (I just need the damn car to get here! :) )

I just used Motorway to sell my C63 Estate, which I'm replacing with a M3LR on 25 June.

Whole experience has been very good. Got an estimate on Sunday for a reasonable figure, so took all the photos they requested and the car was in the Motorway auction on Wednesday.

At the end of the auction it had sold for £3k more than the estimate, which was more than £3.5k above what WBAC offered me. I got £7k more than Tesla offered in P/X. Apparently now is a good time to sell as used car prices are through the roof and there's a major shortage of decent stock.

The buying dealer made contact same day as the auction to make arrangements for collection, and their driver picked the car up this morning. Cash was in my bank account before they drove it away.

I'm not affiliated with Motorway in any way but it was probably the most straightforward car sale I've ever done. Even the Mrs was impressed.

Reactions: M3P_W8
I too have sold my BMW 5 series to fund a Tesla purchase. I sold it on autotrader and a buyer bought it using Zuto finance. I had the car pretty much from new for almost 9 years and it's taken me through thick and thin. WBAC and Tesla offered me 5.5k and I got 7.5k privately. I has never heard of Motorway but will check them out next time. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the M3 as I'm deciding between blue and white.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I too have sold my BMW 5 series to fund a Tesla purchase. I sold it on autotrader and a buyer bought it using Zuto finance. I had the car pretty much from new for almost 9 years and it's taken me through thick and thin. WBAC and Tesla offered me 5.5k and I got 7.5k privately. I has never heard of Motorway but will check them out next time. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the M3 as I'm deciding between blue and white.
Go Blue. Too many whites around 😉

Absolutely blue! . . But I'm biased!