Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling leased 2019 Model X possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, this might have been discussed here before but I would like to sell my leased Model X Performance. I took delivery in September 2019. Do I need to buy it first to get the title and then sell it or can I sell it directly to a private buyer or a third-party dealership? Thanks!

Hi folks, this might have been discussed here before but I would like to sell my leased Model X Performance. I took delivery in September 2019. Do I need to buy it first to get the title and then sell it or can I sell it directly to a private buyer or a third-party dealership? Thanks!
It is really hard to sell something that you do not own. You would have to buy it first. If it is a Tesla lease, Tesla no longer allows leased vehicles, to be purchased. You will need to talk to the owner of the vehicle, the leasing company.

It is really hard to sell something that you do not own. You would have to buy it first. If it is a Tesla lease, Tesla no longer allows leased vehicles, to be purchased. You will need to talk to the owner of the vehicle, the leasing company.
You can still purchase a leased X and I suspect S, leased before April 15, 2022. I am not sure if you can do it before the end of the lease term. The Y and 3 leases do not have a purchase option.

Last edited:
If the lease allows you to purchase the car you can do it at anytime,
Thanks. That is good to know.

I will likely purchase my 2022 X at the end of the lease or sooner, since I put so few miles on it. And the lease buyout is based on the price when I ordered over a year ago, which is way lower than the current price.

I wish we could purchase our leased 3, but sadly that is not an option. We will likely have less than 9,000 miles on it at the end of 3 years.