Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Model 3 - Need some insight into pricing it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

As we all know finding accurate trade in or resale value for our cars can be a bit of a struggle as most places/websites have no clue how to valuate certain things. Just curious from the collective what I should list my vehicle for. I tried to do a trade in and I literally laughed and walked out.

2018 Model 3 LR RWD with FSD and 3.0 computer hardware
13500 miles
19" Wheels with less than 3k miles on tires
White interior that I put in from a brand new model 3 that was being converted to a race car. I still have all the black seats and will toss them in.
Minor upgrades/mods: Carbon Fibre spoiler, Carbon Fibre mirror caps, wireless phone charger, centre console wrap in Matrix, aluminium pedals.

Thanks for any input that you can share.

Check Vroom, Carvana, KBB Instant, Carmax for instant quotes. Generally mods won't fetch anything more on the value. I found it better to remove them and sell them elsewhere. Go do a trade in value estimate through Tesla and see if Carmax will honor it. I found that Tesla estimates their cars a lot higher than others.

Thanks all, just checked with Tesla and they are offering $39K, KBB etc. show range of $35 - $39K for trade in. The dealer I went to yesterday offered $30K and that was not even within realm of reason as my car has been babied, garage kept and hand washed and waxed...hell no one has even ever eaten/drank anything inside of it! Agreed the mods I am not even factoring as that matters more to the buyer not the dealer. I do not want to sell private if possible as I want to avoid the hassle of all of that, I am going to go to CarMax today and see what they offer. FYI the impetus for doing this is I no longer commute and I have an amazing car that I literally never drive and I don't want to keep paying the high price for it. I am looking to "down size" and have another car in the household for errands etc.

I appreciate all the feedback, def. going to push closer to $40K for trade in and if I do sell private I will list around $44K and go from there.

• Informative
Reactions: omkar and KenC
Thanks all, just checked with Tesla and they are offering $39K, KBB etc. show range of $35 - $39K for trade in. The dealer I went to yesterday offered $30K and that was not even within realm of reason as my car has been babied, garage kept and hand washed and waxed...hell no one has even ever eaten/drank anything inside of it! Agreed the mods I am not even factoring as that matters more to the buyer not the dealer. I do not want to sell private if possible as I want to avoid the hassle of all of that, I am going to go to CarMax today and see what they offer. FYI the impetus for doing this is I no longer commute and I have an amazing car that I literally never drive and I don't want to keep paying the high price for it. I am looking to "down size" and have another car in the household for errands etc.

I appreciate all the feedback, def. going to push closer to $40K for trade in and if I do sell private I will list around $44K and go from there.

Matches my general experience with non-Tesla cars. Dealer offer generally seems to be in the realm of KBB trade-in value minus $5k.

Reactions: sacredzero
Another question guys, I actually just ended up trading in the car vs selling private as the tax adavantge put me slightly ahead. I am about to remove the car from my Tesla account but realised I totally forgot to erase all my info from the car (Home address etc). Will that happen when I remove the car from my account or should I call the dealer and walk them through factory reset car?

Another question guys, I actually just ended up trading in the car vs selling private as the tax adavantge put me slightly ahead. I am about to remove the car from my Tesla account but realised I totally forgot to erase all my info from the car (Home address etc). Will that happen when I remove the car from my account or should I call the dealer and walk them through factory reset car?

I would go to the dealer and ask for a factory reset