Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

selling model 3 privately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning selling model 3 myself. So just asking for advice, what should I do? what to look for? what papers?

I'm thinking I will meet the buyer at my bank, that way my bank will confirm the money or check.
I know I will factory reset the car and remove car from my account.
Thanks

Should be the same things you would do to sell any other car privately. The only "special" thing about a tesla vs others, is making sure your own personal data is removed from the car, and removing yourself from the tesla account only after title has changed hands.

The rest is the same as you selling any other car, including whether you have title in hand or not (if you paid cash and have title much easier), getting verified funds from the buyer, etc.

I'll be the first to put this out here, but you may want to look at other sites besides this one to post... Lots of trolls under the bridge here to bash the post and have no interest in purchasing. So if you do, make sure you have a thick skin or they will eat you alive...(although you will enjoy may free sales bumps) ;)

This is absolutely true. I would also recommend against trying to sell a tesla here on TMC. Looking at your join date here of the middle of last year, I can tell you that its a LOT better in that section than it used to be, before you started here (if you can even believe that). Im not saying its good, or even "ok", just that it was 100 times worse (with people who hung out in that section pretty much only to bash the pricing on a used tesla unless it was basically the lowest anyone had ever seen).

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
This is absolutely true. I would also recommend against trying to sell a tesla here on TMC. Looking at your join date here of the middle of last year, I can tell you that its a LOT better in that section than it used to be, before you started here (if you can even believe that). Im not saying its good, or even "ok", just that it was 100 times worse (with people who hung out in that section pretty much only to bash the pricing on a used tesla unless it was basically the lowest anyone had ever seen).
Sad. If people think a price is too high then just don't buy it. The people with these criticisms on prices are themselves unlikely to sell their own cars at the lowest price ever seen.

I'm thinking about selling my 2019 SR+ with Autopilot privately and then buying a used Long Range with FSD out of the Tesla certified pre owned inventory. I was surprised that the pricing is almost the same as what I could sell my SR+ for.

It's a little bit of a hassle, but I would gain a LR battery and charger, FSD, an extended warranty, and potentially lower miles.

Is there a downside to this plan?

I'm thinking about selling my 2019 SR+ with Autopilot privately and then buying a used Long Range with FSD out of the Tesla certified pre owned inventory. I was surprised that the pricing is almost the same as what I could sell my SR+ for.

It's a little bit of a hassle, but I would gain a LR battery and charger, FSD, an extended warranty, and potentially lower miles.

Is there a downside to this plan?

taxes depending on state, and no guarantee on how the other car was treated. Charged to 100% daily? Door dings? Etc.

taxes depending on state, and no guarantee on how the other car was treated. Charged to 100% daily? Door dings? Etc.
Yes, Taxes. You will be paying full taxes on the new purchase.At least here in Canada, on a trade in for example, you only pay the taxes on the difference between your old one and the new one.If you sell the old one for cash, not only do you pay taxes on that amount when you buy newer but the government collects the same amount again from the buyer of your old car. We are talking 5 or 6 thousand dollars here.

Yes, Taxes. You will be paying full taxes on the new purchase.At least here in Canada, on a trade in for example, you only pay the taxes on the difference between your old one and the new one.If you sell the old one for cash,
It depends on the state. In California, trading in a car has no bearing on the sales tax of a new one. You pay the full amount of sales tax no matter what.

I'd never even heard of what you're describing until I moved to WA state.

What New Car Fees Should You Pay? | Edmunds has a chart. OP should check their state under "trade-in sales tax credit?"

Definitely get a cashiers check from the buyers bank (preferably in person with the buyer). If the buyer meets you elsewhere with a fake cashiers check and you give them the car and deposit the check, your bank could claw back the funds later when/if it is found to be fake.

Don't forget to file the required DMV form "Notice of transfer and release of liability". You will need buyers contact info / address to fill out the form. Link: Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability - California DMV

• Informative
Reactions: smashcz and cwerdna
Actually, last time I sold a car in a private sale, I preferred to do the deal at HIS bank. With all the fake checks, that’s the easiest way to be sure it was real, funded, and wouldn’t bounce (I also insisted on a cashiers check).

This sounds smart. Do you have to have the title (and vehicle paid off) when you meet them? Or do they then follow you to your bank where you deposit the check and then obtain the title?

Last edited: