Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a few posts on Craigslist for model 3 reservation rights for as high as $10k.
For one, my understanding is that it's not transferable. For another, is it just me or are people out of their minds to think they can make $10k just flipping their reservation?

Yes and maybe. :D Terms were that you can't sell/transfer to anyone except (maybe) close family members, and only with Tesla's permission.

General CL or eBay, never. I'm sure Tesla would cancel the reservation, and would, since you can change your address but not your name. Not sure how these 'transfers' would ever take place, in fact.

This was debated last year but now that the smoke has cleared, perhaps it is time to bring it up again. I know people who plan on reselling their Model 3 with a profit before using it.

There are lots of examples of successful scalping across many brands. Here is a Tesla example:
Ford Buys Model X for $200k, Once Owned by Tesla Referral Program Winner

Will it be successful with Model 3 as well?
For:
1. Long waiting list
2. The 10 thousand something first cars to employees are contractually not eligible for scalping, so people will have been drooling over these for a while before external customer cars are delivered
Against:
$7500 Tax credit is a large percentage and since you can't claim it if you resell the car Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D), it must be a huge price addition to be profitable, compared to someone who waits for their own turn in the line (provided the are inside of the 200k cutoff)

What do you think? Would be especially interesting to hear from those who plan on doing it.

This was debated last year but now that the smoke has cleared, perhaps it is time to bring it up again. I know people who plan on reselling their Model 3 with a profit before using it.

There are lots of examples of successful scalping across many brands. Here is a Tesla example:
Ford Buys Model X for $200k, Once Owned by Tesla Referral Program Winner

Will it be successful with Model 3 as well?
For:
1. Long waiting list
2. The 10 thousand something first cars to employees are contractually not eligible for scalping, so people will have been drooling over these for a while before external customer cars are delivered
Against:
$7500 Tax credit is a large percentage and since you can't claim it if you resell the car Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D), it must be a huge price addition to be profitable, compared to someone who waits for their own turn in the line (provided the are inside of the 200k cutoff)

What do you think? Would be especially interesting to hear from those who plan on doing it.
No.