Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling model 3 with FSD - any value in that?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to sell my 2021 model 3, and it has FSD with it at purchase date. I am wondering/hoping that there is additional value in that as I pursue the right sale price? Seems crazy to have spent that amount and then not have any return from it in a sale?

Yes, but be sure to have the invoice ready that shows it was paid for with the vehicle. When I was shopping, I found that cars with FSD were priced about $5k more than equivalent non-FSD cars. At the time, FSD was $10k. So, it may be worth more now. I suspect that as the price continues to rise - and FSD becomes less of a novelty and more of a true value, the value in resale will appreciate proportionately.

The biggest issue is the confusion around transferability of the feature. There are a few (somewhat misleading) articles about Tesla revoking features from cars that had been resold. I won't open that can of worms. Long story short, I spoke directly with Tesla (and documented) the explanation that when FSD has been paid for it stays with the vehicle for the life of the vehicle.

Good luck with sale!

Upvote 0
(moderator note)

I feel very (very) strongly that the discussion of FSD in general, goes in the subforum for that specific discussion. Note that this post is not that (yet) but I am trying to preemptively say that if this thread turns into a discussion of FSD as a feature, what its missing or not missing, how it operates or doesnt, it will be moved to the autopilot subforum.

The discussion that can stay here in this subforum is what the thread title is, which is "does FSD have any value when selling the car, and if so, how much".

I say this to head off the inevitable discussion I mentioned above, or at least be above board at where the thread will be moved to if it happens in this thread.

Reactions: Thp3 and drtimhill
Upvote 0
Is there any place where you can plug in the VIN and find out what features the car came with? We are looking for a ‘21 or ‘22 but the prices are way over MSRP and I’m wondering if they have FSD. We haven’t ventured out to look at any yet.
you can find out what options are on the car and if it can be CCS compatible on the display. Under software?

Upvote 0
The biggest issue is the confusion around transferability of the feature. There are a few (somewhat misleading) articles about Tesla revoking features from cars that had been resold. I won't open that can of worms. Long story short, I spoke directly with Tesla (and documented) the explanation that when FSD has been paid for it stays with the vehicle for the life of the vehicle.
This is very helpful information - thank you for sharing. I wouldn't pay 10k for FSD, but 5k, or 2 year's worth of FSD subscription, may be worth it.

Upvote 0
Is there any place where you can plug in the VIN and find out what features the car came with? We are looking for a ‘21 or ‘22 but the prices are way over MSRP and I’m wondering if they have FSD. We haven’t ventured out to look at any yet.
The VIN doesn’t indicate whether the car has FSD, because it’s a software option. As @iwannam3 said above, you can tell from the touchscreen if you have access to the car (Controls > Software).

Upvote 0
The VIN doesn’t indicate whether the car has FSD, because it’s a software option. As @iwannam3 said above, you can tell from the touchscreen if you have access to the car (Controls > Software).
This is getting into the gray area and I would be a bit leery of taking this approach. In 99% of cases you should be fine if it is listed as a feature on the screen, but without an invoice or receipt stating that it was paid for you run a (very small) risk of Tesla correcting a mistake and revoking it. Unfortunately most dealers with the car will not have this type of documentation, so I would use that as a negotiation point at the very least. Referring to the original question - if you, as the seller, can show that the feature was paid for it DOES add value to the right buyer. If the seller can't prove it was paid for, it still may add value but I wouldn't pay as much personally knowing it is a bit of a gamble.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I purchased a M3 SR in 2019. Paid $35,000. Got a $2500 back from Calif. $1000 from Edison making the cost to me $31,500. Paid $5000 for FSD. Sold it two years and three months later for $43,500.00

I think FSD help me get that amount.

And that amount was from a reseller.

I am fairly certain (but not 100% because there was some weirdness specifically in april of 2019) that you paid 5k for enhanced autopilot, not 5k for FSD. A lot of people who purchased back then seem to say either 'I bought FSD and it was only 3k, how is it now 12k?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" when they leave out the fact that they had to buy Enhanced autopilot first for 5k, to get that 3k price.

You made out very well on your vehicle trade, but didnt pay 5k for FSD. You paid 5k for EAP which included most of the features of FSD, because back then if you didnt buy EAP you got no autopilot at all.

Reactions: XPsionic
Upvote 0
I am fairly certain (but not 100% because there was some weirdness specifically in april of 2019) that you paid 5k for enhanced autopilot, not 5k for FSD. A lot of people who purchased back then seem to say either 'I bought FSD and it was only 3k, how is it now 12k?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" when they leave out the fact that they had to buy Enhanced autopilot first for 5k, to get that 3k price.

You made out very well on your vehicle trade, but didnt pay 5k for FSD. You paid 5k for EAP which included most of the features of FSD, because back then if you didnt buy EAP you got no autopilot at all.

For people who already paid for EAP, the cheapest you get ever get FSD for was $2k, when Tesla had a sale in early 2019. At the time EAP was $5k. When FSD used to be offered as an option while ordering a new car, it was $3k in addition to the price of EAP.

When I ordered my 2018 S in late 2018, you could no longer order FSD, but you could add it after delivery for $5k. I managed to get it for $3k. When they had the sale in early 2019, I paid $2k to add FSD to my wife's 2018 Model 3.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
For people who already paid for EAP, the cheapest you get ever get FSD for was $2k, when Tesla had a sale in early 2019. At the time EAP was $5k. When FSD used to be offered as an option while ordering a new car, it was $3k in addition to the price of EAP.

When I ordered my 2018 S in late 2018, you could no longer order FSD, but you could add it after delivery for $5k. I managed to get it for $3k. When they had the sale in early 2019, I paid $2k to add FSD to my wife's 2018 Model 3.

When I bought my model 3 in Dec of 2018, they only sold EAP for 5k, and were not selling FSD at all. I added FSD in april of 2019 for 2k during that fire sale.

Upvote 0
When I bought my model 3 in Dec of 2018, they only sold EAP for 5k, and were not selling FSD at all. I added FSD in april of 2019 for 2k during that fire sale.
I took delivery of both a Model S and Model 3 in December 2018. FSD at that time was an off-menu item, but you could get it after delivery (and I did on the S). The purchase was handled by Service, even though there was no service involved. Maybe your delivery advisor didn’t know that was an option. The going price was $5, but I was able to negotiate that down to $3.

Upvote 0

Sorry, right after purchasing my M3, I was offered FSD for $5,000. Soon after that, the FSD price went up to $7,000, later $10,000 and now $12,000

How sure am I that it was FSD? I later became a beta tester for Tesla using FSD

I now own an 2022 M3P without FSD

Last edited:
Upvote 0