Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dmich44

Jun 28, 2018
US
Hi all - I’ve been on the Model 3 list for about a year and got my invite to configure today. For various reasons it now looks like the timing isn’t going to work out for me in terms of getting the car. I was curious if there is a market for people who would want to immediately buy the car from me as soon as I take delivery. I’m not talking about selling the reservation as I know that is not transferable, I mean I would buy the car and then immediately sell it for full price. What is in it for me is the 7500 tax credit. What is in it for the buyer is they would get the car sooner than they otherwise would have, and presumably they would either not be on the list or be so far down they wouldn’t get the credit anyway. So it would be a win win. The whole contractual part would be a pain but aside from that not sure if I am missing anything that would preclude this? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered.

• Love
Reactions: Awc1014
Hi all - I’ve been on the Model 3 list for about a year and got my invite to configure today. For various reasons it now looks like the timing isn’t going to work out for me in terms of getting the car. I was curious if there is a market for people who would want to immediately buy the car from me as soon as I take delivery. I’m not talking about selling the reservation as I know that is not transferable, I mean I would buy the car and then immediately sell it for full price. What is in it for me is the 7500 tax credit. What is in it for the buyer is they would get the car sooner than they otherwise would have, and presumably they would either not be on the list or be so far down they wouldn’t get the credit anyway. So it would be a win win. The whole contractual part would be a pain but aside from that not sure if I am missing anything that would preclude this? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered.
You would pay sales tax, and your buyer would again pay sales tax (at least in most states).

Reactions: adaptabl
IIRC you can only claim the tax credit if you keep the car for at least one year.

I was told that several times, too, but it turns out that's not how the law is written, there's no specific time period. You just have to be purchasing without intent to resale. The longer the time period before reselling the more plausible you did. The more you talk about reselling before you buy the less plausible. ;) Also buying and then eventually selling multiple vehicles makes it really hard to argue you weren't intentionally purchasing to flip.

The invite is transferable. There are many threads on this. Just transfer the account to the buyer, many have done it.
However everyone got an invite to configure yesterday. An invite to configure is worth approximately $0.

Fraud :rolleyes:

You cannot claim the tax credit on a car purchased for resale.

Plug In Electric Vehicle Credit IRC 30 and IRC 30D | Internal Revenue Service

The Man said:
The vehicles must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale. Additionally, the original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer...

People have worked around this in other ways that essentially sell the reservation instead.

Reactions: ℬête Noire