Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Model S, how does the app change to new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there! After you submit transfer of ownership, the new owner will enter the VIN in their app profile. Once the title has transferred and Tesla has connected the new owner to the VIN, the new owner will then have access to the vehicle settings etc. and your access will end. It took a day or so for my ownership to activate when I bought a pre-owned Model S

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hey there! After you submit transfer of ownership, the new owner will enter the VIN in their app profile. Once the title has transferred and Tesla has connected the new owner to the VIN, the new owner will then have access to the vehicle settings etc. and your access will end. It took a day or so for my ownership to activate when I bought a pre-owned Model S
Thanks for the info it is much appreciated

I'm preparing to sell my Model S and wanted to confirm a couple of timing details. I have a seller traveling in from out of town and, after signing over the title, they'll be driving the car home (~4 hour drive) where they will then register the car with their local BMV the following day. How do I provide them with the access to the app to be able to drive the car home if the app registration/transfer takes a day or two through Tesla? Also, they won't have proof of registration in their name until they go to their local BMV after returning home so can the in-app transfer even be facilitated at the time of pickup?