Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling my 2020 model 3: where can I sell it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you need a fast sale sell it to a dealer, Carmax, Shift, Vroom, Carvana etc. They be hungry for used cars.
^^^^
Send a quote to all of these. They'll get you an estimate within minutes.

Check your local area on Facebook Marketplace/Offerup/Craigslist and see what the going price is for a private sale.

A lot of times, you'll get more private sale but the hassle and work required can make the online dealers more enticing.

Now is the best time to sell it. Used Model 3s sell for more than brand new currently.

Upvote 0
What is the best place to sell my 2020 Model 3?
It has only 6,500 miles, we are moving to Australia so cannot take it with me!

Anywhere you would sell any other used vehicle. TMC also has a classified section, if you are interested, however most posters there would be categorized as "savvy" to use a friendly term, or "only willing to entertain purchasing if the price is too good to be true" as a slightly less friendly term.

All the places mentioned (vroom, carvana, carmax, shift) will likely pay a decent price, but not top dollar. You can likely get more by listing it yourself on craigslist or ebay or something, but then have to deal with that entire process, and if you dont have clean title (meaning the car is paid off) that can complicate a private sale unless both sides are willing to be a bit flexible.

Note: Any discussion of pricing you should sell for, etc, would need to happen in the for sale section of this site, which is here:

"Where can I sell" is a general question, while "what pricing should I sell for" is a commerce one. if the thread heads toward what pricing is appropriate, etc, I will re located to the above section, as that is where that goes.

Upvote 0
Anywhere you would sell any other used vehicle. TMC also has a classified section, if you are interested, however most posters there would be categorized as "savvy" to use a friendly term, or "only willing to entertain purchasing if the price is too good to be true" as a slightly less friendly term.

All the places mentioned (vroom, carvana, carmax, shift) will likely pay a decent price, but not top dollar. You can likely get more by listing it yourself on craigslist or ebay or something, but then have to deal with that entire process, and if you dont have clean title (meaning the car is paid off) that can complicate a private sale unless both sides are willing to be a bit flexible.

Note: Any discussion of pricing you should sell for, etc, would need to happen in the for sale section of this site, which is here:

"Where can I sell" is a general question, while "what pricing should I sell for" is a commerce one. if the thread heads toward what pricing is appropriate, etc, I will re located to the above section, as that is where that goes.
I sold mine thru the TMC classifieds and had a very good experience. It helps if you are knowledgeable about selling used cars privately and across state lines.

Upvote 0
I think eBay is the best place to advertise your car and close the sale off of eBay. With all the buyer and seller scammers over the years that have ruined the reputation of the eBay auctions, they rarely work out as a way to close the deal. But it does give your car exposure just like an AutoTrader or any other online ad.

Upvote 0
try the various online options. I got quotes ranging from $46K to $50K for my Jan 2020 Model 3LR with 24K miles. I took the $50K from CarMax but the range was interesting. Tesla’s trade in offer on my new Model 3 LR was $48,500, right in the middle.

private sale will always be higher, but I didn’t want to hassle with the risks of scams and such.

bob

Upvote 0
wow! you sold it right? j/k

I have the same car, no FSD with 14K miles and got offered 49.8K from vroom. I wonder if the market changed since Nov.

Yes, actually, used car prices are up since November, with projections that they will rise another 3% when the December numbers are out. Big article in the WSJ today about how used car prices are not expected to recede until middle of next year.

I just sold my car to Shift.com (which I had never heard of). They outbid Carvana, CarMax, Vroom, CarZeus, GiveMeTheVIN, and CarGurus, but all the bids were really high.

If I had a couple-year-old Tesla, I'd definitely cash it in and buy a new upgraded model. The prices for used Teslas are outrageous right now.

Reactions: sightman
Upvote 0