Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling my Model 3 for a Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price cut plus the incentives running out this year really has me thinking hard about upgrading, which means I’d need to sell my current M3

VIN 3xxx, so it’s an earlier build
Body assembly/panels are great
~6k miles
White
19” OEMs
All options
EAP

Mods
Chrome delete
Full front clear wrap
RPM Tesla CF trunk lip
UP moderate springs
30% tint all around

DM me if you know anyone interested in the Bay Area.

Funny how the first thing some people are always concerned with when people say they're selling their car, is that they have to give back the Tax credits or rebates!!! What's it anyone's concern what a seller does or doesn't do. How do you know if they even collected the tax credit or rebate? What are these people commenting, the rebate police? 3rd world problems I guess!!

Sorry, just see the same thing every time someone announces they selling their car.

That commonly combined with other's scolding them for selling. Hinting that they're idiots for being willing to take a loss on a car. Don't they realize that the sellers probably already know this? LOL And, if they're upgrading to the next version, clearly they can afford, so again, what's it anybody's business what people choose to do with their own car or money?

Be one thing if the sellers asked for the opinion or feedback, but most of the time, they are un-solicited, un-informed comments.

Just did that, no regrets for the switch, just regrets about strategy (or lack thereof). Decision was mostly because AWD in Minnesota is a must - but the performance boost is uncanny (and I owned a P85D before the LR RWD).

When we got the RWD in February, we reserved a second model 3, thinking it will take ~1 year to be able to order on the new reservation. We also thought the waiting line will still be significant for a model 3 to allow us a very good private resale value. We were wrong on both assumptions.... Online buyers (zoom, givemeyourvin) did not have good offers either. In the end, Tesla had the best offer for trade-in, and MN allows reducing the sales tax when you do that, so the pain was not as bad.

The experience with LR RWD and winter tires was fairly good - as long as there is no thick layer of snow or bad ice, model 3 did fairly well. We had 2 of those days, and my wife could not get the Tesla out of the driveway. Our Merc Coupe (AWD with winter tires) had no problems at all. I think it is mainly AWD, but it could also be that the Michelin Pilot Alpin on the Merc are better than Pirelli Sottozero on the Tesla - no real way to test that.

The price cut plus the incentives running out this year really has me thinking hard about upgrading, which means I’d need to sell my current M3

VIN 3xxx, so it’s an earlier build
Body assembly/panels are great
~6k miles
White
19” OEMs
All options
EAP

Mods
Chrome delete
Full front clear wrap
RPM Tesla CF trunk lip
UP moderate springs
30% tint all around

DM me if you know anyone interested in the Bay Area.
If you are interested in parting with the lowering springs and spoiler if you trade to Tesla let me know.

I agree with the posters that suggest asking Tesla for a trade-in quote. In the past I've always been quite disappointed in Tesla's trade-in quotes, but the one I got on my LR RWD was awesome - perhaps because it only had 2k miles.

I ended up selling it privately for enough (when including the federal tax credit) to cover everything I paid for the car, taxes and registration when I bought it 6 months ago. I would have been really close to that if I had traded it in. (At least, assuming that their real, post-purchase trade-in offer was the same as the trade-in "estimate" when you ask for a value before ordering a new car. It was only a week from order to delivery, and I sold the old car during that time, so I never actually got the final quote).

Funny how the first thing some people are always concerned with when people say they're selling their car, is that they have to give back the Tax credits or rebates!!! What's it anyone's concern what a seller does or doesn't do. How do you know if they even collected the tax credit or rebate? What are these people commenting, the rebate police? 3rd world problems I guess!!

Sorry, just see the same thing every time someone announces they selling their car.

That commonly combined with other's scolding them for selling. Hinting that they're idiots for being willing to take a loss on a car. Don't they realize that the sellers probably already know this? LOL And, if they're upgrading to the next version, clearly they can afford, so again, what's it anybody's business what people choose to do with their own car or money?

Be one thing if the sellers asked for the opinion or feedback, but most of the time, they are un-solicited, un-informed comments.
It was just a question, this isn't the for sale forum.

The rebate plus all the mods is allot of money to toss away in less than a year looking at $20k hit, maybe even 30k if you count the adaddition taxes on the new car as part of the hit (about $8500 in taxes and fees)? I don't like giving money back to CA. Op can do what they want obviously but I'm surprised people are not happy with their LR RWD. My performance is fun but not fun enough to take that kind of hit for me,b plus that's a nice Color combo there! Guess I'm just cheap.

if you mind the 2500 dollars then you are not the kind of guy who buys a performance version of anything haha or at least shouldnt.
It's much closer to a 20k loss total...
10% for driving off the lot, 10+% on taxes + 6-7k on the use and mods. Plus the $2500 rebate. It all adds up! Plus you might have to drop the selling price by another $7500 because of the federal tax credit that is still available. The amount of losses is around 50% of the price of the car.

It's much closer to a 20k loss total...
10% for driving off the lot, 10+% on taxes + 6-7k on the use and mods. Plus the $2500 rebate. It all adds up! Plus you might have to drop the selling price by another $7500 because of the federal tax credit that is still available. The amount of losses is around 50% of the price of the car.

exactly my point. the kind of person who buys a model 3 performance version probably does not care that much about that.

The price cut plus the incentives running out this year really has me thinking hard about upgrading...

Here's why I wouldn't do this.

First of all a disclaimer: I own a P3D-, and I think it's a great car and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

In your case, however, you already have a great car, too. The RWD M3's extra efficiency and lower cost arguably give it a better price performance.

Furthermore, Tesla's weird strategy for performance cars is likely to get revised over time. What do I mean? The ridiculous notion that the big heavy monstrosity of a Model S has to be faster than the Model 3.

Anyone who knows motorsports knows that weight is the enemy of performance. The idea that the Model 3 performance has to be slower is one that makes sense only from a perspective of managing short-term cash flow.

I fully expect that as more reviews come out noting how much of a compromise the Model 3 performance is relative to sportier ICE equivalents (and I fully expect this to happen once the novelty of the electric drivetrain wears off), Tesla will up its game and come up with the *real* performance model 3 - you know the light weight, aggressive, sport-oriented performance, that so far outperforms similar ICE cars that any compromise is long forgotten. One that is not held back because of fears of stealing sales from the Model S line.

Sure, this may take a couple of years, but you'd still have an absolutely awesome car in the meantime, and don't have to throw away a bunch of sunk cost for a more marginal upgrade today.