TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Selling P+, ordering P85D -- try new color?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by 403portside, Oct 19, 2014.

1. 403portside

403portside Member

I know most people are probably really happy with their current color setup and would say they wouldn't change a thing.

I also really love my blue p85+ but I'm also very curious about MC red and pearl white.

Since I'm effectively getting a chance to rebuild my car, should I go for a diff color I like? My inclination is yes, to diversify my Tesla experience. I know it's very subjective, but I'm really curious about what other people would do if they had the chance to upgrade or redesign their car.

Thanks in advance for your opinions :)

2. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

This is very subjective and personal, but I always look for an identity of its own in a new car purchase. What setup fits the identity of the car and of course my preferences and availability at the time. If you think your P85D setup will be sufficiently different from the P85+, by all means go for a different color too - I would.

Diversifying the Tesla experience is good too. I really want the Model X, but I also wanted to experience a more pioneering Tesla - hence the current sprint with P85 for diversity of Tesla experience exactly.

I will definitely look at new color combos when my P85 is swapped to Model X in time. I guess, historically, I have very rarely bought new cars with the exact same color - and never twice in a row.

Then again, if you need to hide the purchase from the spouse/relatives/neighbours/friends-wanting-test drives you may want to keep it identical. ;)

3. 403portside

403portside Member

Lol! Thanks AnxietyRanger, great thoughts here. I tend to do the same with subsequent purchases -- ie change things up as much as possible to make the car feel as 'new' as possible.

I guess I'm just worried about seeing my old color on the road and feeling regretful :)

4. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I love my blue, but if I was upgrading I would get a different color exterior and interior so it would really look and feel new all over again! A P85D wants to be red or black!

5. Ames

Ames Member

I traded up from an '06 Lexus GS300 to an '07 Lexus GS300 because I was unhappy with accident damage repair and at the time I wanted the new high-res entertainment screen. The colour I had (quartz) was very distinctive so I was happy to order it again. I didn't tell a soul that I bought a new car, and so people kept asking me what I used to clean the leather, how I kept it so clean...etc, and how it feels like it is brand new (which in fact it was). I was very happy to do it this way and I didn't want any of my friends or family to feel jealous.

So all you have to do is remove the D and tell everyone that "a software update very slightly improved the acceleration and range" :cool:

6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I love our MC Red so much that I would keep the same color if upgrading.

7. 403portside

403portside Member

@Rockster: I love seeing MC Red on the road but fear getting tired of owning it :) irrational I guess.

8. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Love the MC red, probably would get the same color unless Tesla comes out with some new colors. We are constantly getting compliments from people on how beautiful it looks. It does stand out but now we have 4 in our town so not particularly special, but still love how it looks.

9. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

+1

Plus everyone knows the red is faster than the other colors. :biggrin:

10. golfski

golfski Member

I love my white, but if I had a chance to do it all over again (trading up, etc..) I would get brown. It is such a stunning color in person and pretty rare!

11. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Challenge accepted. Meet you outside in 5

12. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Good luck on selling the P+ and keep us posted on the devs of the "D". I say make your choice based on the interior color.

13. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

I feel that the MC Red and the Dark Metallic Grey reveal the body lines and curves really well. The P85D only comes in the Black Interior right now... I really wish that Tesla would come out with a darker cocoa brown leather interior. Did you find the Blue Metallic prone to showing dust, dirt and swirls? I have a Twilight Blue ERA Cobra 427 that is a very dark metallic blue and it does show dust and finger-prints. That car is only driven in nice weather so it pretty much lives under a car cover... Were you happy with the Blue?

14. 403portside

403portside Member

Yes the blue is very prone to dust and dirt.

It's funny, a few weeks ago I was feeling bored with the blue exterior and now that I have the opportunity to change, I'm feeling anxious about letting it go. Funny how the brain works :)

15. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

brown is rare for a reason.... I had a brown loaner and felt 90+ years old driving it....

- - - Updated - - -

I've had the grey, now MC red, I ordered the P85D in black with the grey wheels.... I really like the red, but want to switch it up...

I was really hoping the P85D would be available in a new color to distinguish it... a brighter electric blue or something....

16. 403portside

403portside Member

I've been searching for new color combos that inspire me but keep coming back to my current color :(

Separation anxiety?

17. callmesam

callmesam Member

MC Red is a shot in the gut.

Black is so versatile, that you never go wrong.

My grey is no longer available, so I don't even have this dilemma.

18. Joseph Torbati

Joseph Torbati Local Vendor - NorCal

The new Gray is awesome when its all done up! I still am partial to MC red though. After detailing sooooo many Model S nothing stands out more than MC red when all dialed in. With a D I'd be a little nervous with out a passport or some sort of awesome radar system MC red might end up "mega cop" magnet red!

19. 403portside

403portside Member

Hey Joe, OP here, got my car opti-coated by you. May have another one to send you if I can figure this out. Heard you moved on from orinda, will get your new details.

20. James Anders

James Anders Member

It would have been nice for Tesla to take advantage of this announcement of the "D" to also announce new colors or a new expanded color palette. The blah color choices are annoying.