Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

selling performance tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone considered this? I want to get the performance package but would rather have the 19 inch all season tires because of where I live. However, I feel like I would be short changing myself as the 21 inch tires are soon going to go for a premium cost. Would it make any sense to get the 21' wheels, sell them and then get 19 inch all seasons myself, possibly pocketing some spare net cash this way?

Yup. I sold my 21's, and had a couple more people asking about them.

Of course, I wasn't asking much, so I didn't make a ton more than it took to buy the 19" replacements. But still, every little bit of Model S price offset is good!

You might try driving on 19's on a Perf car first to make sure you're happy with the handling and grip. The 21's really are nice, and I think I likely would have kept them if it were my car. But my wife doesn't take much advantage of the car's performance.

i'd love to do that. I'd love to test drive the non-perf as well, and a model s without a sunroof too. But the only test drive cars they have are fully loaded. So I am worried to forego things that I may otherwise want haha. If you know somewhere that I can test drive the perf car with the 19' tires instead of 21 please let me know.

One option is to buy the car with the 21's, then add the 19's, and then you get to drive both. Then you can decide if you want to sell the 21's, or keep them for summer use. That option does cost the most up front; but gives you a lot of flexibility. If you sell the 21's, you come out ahead financially. If you keep them, you have the best tires for the situation year-round, and you always have a spare available, and the cost isn't bad because you're wearing through the tires anyway so it's only the cost of the 19" wheels that is extra - and Tesla has those priced fairly reasonably.

I would be interested in buying/swapping for your 21 inch. I am waiting on my Model S 60, wanted the grey 21 wheels but grey was only available for performance model. So I ordered mine with 19 inch wheels and was either going to buy the 21 inch grey wheels aftermarket or try to get lucky and swap with someone, also i dont mind paying extra to make it worth your while.