TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Selling shares and taxes - Newbie question

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by rdalcanto, Oct 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

I have bought TSLA shares 6 different times, starting at 50, using my Wells Fargo Brokerage account. Latest purchase was after the dip on Thursday - 250 shares around 172. If I want to sell 250 shares in December at 200, I understand I pay taxes on the profits. My question is, how do I sell the new shares that have had less profit (and will have less taxes), then the shares I bought in May, which have had much more growth and will be subject to higher taxes? Is there a way to do this, or does it just take an average?

2. fjm9898

fjm9898 Member

your broker will have options on the sale type listed on the sale page:

first in first out
    all or none
    ect.

look at that menu and find the one you need

3. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

OK, it looks like I can select a "tax lot" at the time of the order. Thanks.

4. mershaw2001

mershaw2001 I'm short the short sellers

You can also call your broker within the time till settlement 3 days and have them adjust the lot cost basis by phone for no charge usually.