Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling/Sold you car? What did you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Roush Once you experience a Tesla, there's no going back to an ICE vehicle. You will be completely and utterly spoiled for life.
I agree with this 100% having owned several and come from a long list of ICE vehicles of varying luxury. Nothing comes close.

This became painfully apparent due to recent and ongoing customer service issues from Tesla that have soured us on the company. We've considered selling our Teslas but the sad fact is that nothing that currently exists comes even close to what we've grown accustomed to driving a Model S for now...

Once something comes along that is close to what Tesla is offering we'll likely be gone unless they find a way to MASSIVELY improve on their customer service to make it like it once was years ago. They've grown too quickly and don't appear to have a solution to pacing sales with proper customer service. Other car manufacturers are already up to speed on customer service and only need to figure out the hardware portion of the transaction which won't take long once they shift their focus & resources fully.

I digress.

Nothing ICE compared to a Tesla Model S.

Reactions: Roush and SilverGS
I agree with this 100% having owned several and come from a long list of ICE vehicles of varying luxury. Nothing comes close.

This became painfully apparent due to recent and ongoing customer service issues from Tesla that have soured us on the company. We've considered selling our Teslas but the sad fact is that nothing that currently exists comes even close to what we've grown accustomed to driving a Model S for now...

Once something comes along that is close to what Tesla is offering we'll likely be gone unless they find a way to MASSIVELY improve on their customer service to make it like it once was years ago. They've grown too quickly and don't appear to have a solution to pacing sales with proper customer service. Other car manufacturers are already up to speed on customer service and only need to figure out the hardware portion of the transaction which won't take long once they shift their focus & resources fully.

I digress.

Nothing ICE compared to a Tesla Model S.
Very well said.

I've been lucky so far in my neck of the woods in Ontario, Canada and have not yet experienced the lousy customer service that many have experienced elsewhere.

Hopefully they will get better before the legacy manufacturers catch up on the EV front, otherwise it will hurt them badly and we'll all be moving to EV's made by the legacy manufacturers.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming! I have been listening to a ton of videos while driving to make an educated decision. Right now I drive a 2019 M40i, which I’ll be getting rid of.

To be honest, customer service so far is frightening after dealing with other car dealerships. Days or weeks go by with no reply to my emails or questions. Here is a question: I see a 2016 MX P90D for sale with 30k miles from a random dealer. The price seems decent, but the only warranty I see is on the battery and powertrain. All these horror stories of door handles,doors,displays,etc make me want some kind of extended warranty to cover those items.

Would you all skip on the 2016 and try to get a 17 or 18 just to have the peace of mind? Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming! I have been listening to a ton of videos while driving to make an educated decision. Right now I drive a 2019 M40i, which I’ll be getting rid of.

To be honest, customer service so far is frightening after dealing with other car dealerships. Days or weeks go by with no reply to my emails or questions. Here is a question: I see a 2016 MX P90D for sale with 30k miles from a random dealer. The price seems decent, but the only warranty I see is on the battery and powertrain. All these horror stories of door handles,doors,displays,etc make me want some kind of extended warranty to cover those items.

Would you all skip on the 2016 and try to get a 17 or 18 just to have the peace of mind? Thanks!
Model X has a different resale market since they didn't make as many. Supply v demand.

Teslas do have a number of known issues that are NOT covered by the 8-year power train warranty. I would prefer a Tesla warranty to a car that doesn't have one but I'm also not willing to pay a LOT more than a comparable car w/o a warranty. It has value but I'm realistic about what parts might fail and what they cost to fix. A lot of the $1,000 per handle horror stories could be remedied with a $5 paddle gear and a couple hours of your afternoon.

I'm interested in cars with or w/o a warranty but the purchase price has to properly reflect this difference. If a car is thousands less w/o a warranty but is identical in every other way I'd be interested. If I can get the same car w/a Tesla warranty for the same price I'd buy the one with the warranty. Everything has it's price to everyone so long as your logical about assigning a value for yourself.

Personally, I think the current value leader is that 2015-2016 era car that others think is getting "old" and can be had for a good price. I feel that, minus the things like the door handles as you mentioned, EVs at their heart are FAR more durable and reliable long-term than their ICE counterparts. I also think that the average Joe will realize this in the next couple of years as more and more cars start showing up with half a million plus miles on the odo that are still running strong. Once the long-term reliability of EVs is proven far superior to their ICE counterparts I think you'll see a gradual shallowing out of the depreciation hit that used EVs see as well.

In other words, I'm of the opinion that 4-5 year old Model S right now is a tremendous value for what you get.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle and Roush
Hi, I am looking to get a model S or X. My question is: What did you get after you sold your Tesla? Did you upgrade or go with a non EV? TIA
Exactly what I thought when I bought my 2012 Model S.
NEVER EVER thought I would EVER go back to gas.
However, after dealing with Tesla BS over service / terrible firmware upgrades etc., sold the car, moved back to Europe and just, to my amazement, went back to GAS.
Why?
Acceleration was great. Not using oil felt great ... but the overall Tesla experience at the end, was, SO bad ... I felt it gave the overall EV experience a very bad name.
Decades from now they may improve service ... but for now I cannot / will not put up with the 200 kilometer minimum distance service is from my places.
Elon and his promises ... every week ... that deliver years late.
Ridiculous pick up trucks ... fed up watching him take his company into a tail spin.
How insulting that you cannot even call service.

Let the flames begin / continue?

Exactly what I thought when I bought my 2012 Model S.
NEVER EVER thought I would EVER go back to gas.
However, after dealing with Tesla BS over service / terrible firmware upgrades etc., sold the car, moved back to Europe and just, to my amazement, went back to GAS.
Why?
Acceleration was great. Not using oil felt great ... but the overall Tesla experience at the end, was, SO bad ... I felt it gave the overall EV experience a very bad name.
Decades from now they may improve service ... but for now I cannot / will not put up with the 200 kilometer minimum distance service is from my places.
Elon and his promises ... every week ... that deliver years late.
Ridiculous pick up trucks ... fed up watching him take his company into a tail spin.
How insulting that you cannot even call service.

Let the flames begin / continue?

no flames here, every opinion/experience matters. I don’t think many people would praise the customer service experience side of tesla. I can imagine that working for Tesla is anything but stress free. That in turn is passed down to the consumers.
Good feedback none the less.

Model X has a different resale market since they didn't make as many. Supply v demand.

Teslas do have a number of known issues that are NOT covered by the 8-year power train warranty. I would prefer a Tesla warranty to a car that doesn't have one but I'm also not willing to pay a LOT more than a comparable car w/o a warranty. It has value but I'm realistic about what parts might fail and what they cost to fix. A lot of the $1,000 per handle horror stories could be remedied with a $5 paddle gear and a couple hours of your afternoon.

I'm interested in cars with or w/o a warranty but the purchase price has to properly reflect this difference. If a car is thousands less w/o a warranty but is identical in every other way I'd be interested. If I can get the same car w/a Tesla warranty for the same price I'd buy the one with the warranty. Everything has it's price to everyone so long as your logical about assigning a value for yourself.

Personally, I think the current value leader is that 2015-2016 era car that others think is getting "old" and can be had for a good price. I feel that, minus the things like the door handles as you mentioned, EVs at their heart are FAR more durable and reliable long-term than their ICE counterparts. I also think that the average Joe will realize this in the next couple of years as more and more cars start showing up with half a million plus miles on the odo that are still running strong. Once the long-term reliability of EVs is proven far superior to their ICE counterparts I think you'll see a gradual shallowing out of the depreciation hit that used EVs see as well.

In other words, I'm of the opinion that 4-5 year old Model S right now is a tremendous value for what you get.

Is $70k for a 2016 P90D MX good or should I go for a 2018 MS for $60k

There is entirely too many variables that exist outside of the couple of minor details you have provided to make an informed opinion.
Lol it was a very general question.

In order to stay in the 60k range for a 2018 MS I would have to drop to a 75D more than likely. We will assume both cars have AP and free supercharging. The p90d has ludicrous, but imo that doesn’t help the car any, because I would imagine it has been used a few times. Does that help any?

I rented a 2016 MS 75D for a week while on vacation.

I love having space and make a decent amount of trips to Lowe’s or Home Depot. The S had a surprising amount of room.
I've had my 2016 MS75D now for 4 months. I have never driven X or would have the need for more space than what the S has.

The only things I would change if I had to go back in time would be to get an S with more range and performance (having a newer version of AutoPilot and MCU is nice but not a must have for me as AP1 is plenty capable for my needs). Mind you the 75D is no slouch (0-60 in 4.2 seconds). So I'd go with the P90DL or P90D directly from Tesla with a 2 or 4 year warranty. I wouldn't be concerned about the car being a performance car so long as it comes with the Tesla warranty.

Reactions: E Dizzle and Roush
Lol it was a very general question.

In order to stay in the 60k range for a 2018 MS I would have to drop to a 75D more than likely. We will assume both cars have AP and free supercharging. The p90d has ludicrous, but imo that doesn’t help the car any, because I would imagine it has been used a few times. Does that help any?
Personally, I don't like the Model X. It doesn't fit my needs. I would MUCH rather have the P90DL. Assume any and all cars have been beat on regardless of features or options. Unlike their ICE counterparts, EVs have very few items that see increased wear due to increased power or increased use of said power. One of the few is probably drive shafts which is a known issue and is magnified by the cars that make more power. It's just the weak link in the system. The good news is the "system" consists of like a dozen parts at most compared to an ICE car that has hundreds if not thousands of moving parts that make up the same "system" for comparison.

Also, take a look at what the Ludicrous option cost when these cars were new before you write it off as worthless. Some degree of that is found as increased value in the used cars that have that feature.

Reactions: Roush
I've had my 2016 MS75D now for 4 months. I have never driven X or would have the need for more space than what the S has.

The only things I would change if I had to go back in time would be to get an S with more range and performance (having a newer version of AutoPilot and MCU is nice but not a must have for me as AP1 is plenty capable for my needs). Mind you the 75D is no slouch (0-60 in 4.2 seconds). So I'd go with the P90DL or P90D directly from Tesla with a 2 or 4 year warranty. I wouldn't be concerned about the car being a performance car so long as it comes with the Tesla warranty.

If you buy a car from a random dealer, does Tesla offer any additional warranties?

Personally, I don't like the Model X. It doesn't fit my needs. I would MUCH rather have the P90DL. Assume any and all cars have been beat on regardless of features or options. Unlike their ICE counterparts, EVs have very few items that see increased wear due to increased power or increased use of said power. One of the few is probably drive shafts which is a known issue and is magnified by the cars that make more power. It's just the weak link in the system. The good news is the "system" consists of like a dozen parts at most compared to an ICE car that has hundreds if not thousands of moving parts that make up the same "system" for comparison.

Also, take a look at what the Ludicrous option cost when these cars were new before you write it off as worthless. Some degree of that is found as increased value in the used cars that have that feature.

thanks, yea the MX has the Lud/Lud +. I don’t think it’s worthless, I just don’t think of it as an added value for my needs. IE: I would rather have the car $5k less than the Lud active.