Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Tesla Model 3 LR to Vroom.com after upgrading to AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wraithnot

Model 3 VIN #2942 Model S VIN #5785
Dec 16, 2012
SF Bay Area
My wife and I originally wanted a Model 3 AWD. But once Tesla announced how much longer the wait would be for the AWD version we decided to get a Model 3 Long Range first, keep the mileage low, get a Model 3 AWD as soon as they were available and then sell the Model 3 LR. This ended up working out surprisingly well and I thought I would share the details in case anyone else is in the same boat.

First off, we took delivery of a red Model 3 LR with autopilot in January. The sticker price was $56,000. We tried to keep the mileage as low as possible, but it was so fun to drive that we ended up with almost 8,000 miles by September 4th when we were told we could schedule delivery of our Model 3 AWD. I requested a trade-in offer from Tesla, but when I didn't get a prompt response I went ahead and entered all the stats on our Model 3 LR on Vroom.com. In addition to the 8,000 miles, the car also picked up some curb rash on three of the four wheels (my wife parks in tight spots in San Francisco) as well a minor door ding (our 3-year hasn't learned to be cautious when opening car doors yet). Vroom offered us $44,000 and the offer was good for 10 days and up to 250 additional miles. That seemed pretty reasonable since it was only $4,500 below the sticker price when the tax credit was figured in. That works out to 56 cents a mile which seems like pretty reasonable depreciation. Tesla finally got back to us and said $44,000 was better than what they were likely to offer so we went with Vroom.

We picked up the new Model 3 AWD three days after we accepted the offer to sell the old car to Vroom. The whole transaction to sell the old car was done almost completely on-line, but it did involve mailing in the title so we had the slightly odd situation of having two idential looking Model 3's (along with our Model S) in front of our house for a few days.
IMG_9053.jpg

Once Vroom got the title, they scheduled a pickup. They actually send a giant car-carrier truck to your house to pick the car up- you don't have to take the car anywhere. Although we live on a cul-de-sac so the truck driver requested that we meet him closer to the main road so he wouldn't have trouble turning his truck around. This was on Friday and Vroom wired the money to us on Monday. I don't think things could have been any more convenient.

I was curious where they would take the car so I checked in every so often on the app. To my surprise, the app said the car was still where we loaded it on the truck even though the truck was long gone. A few days later, the app finally showed the location as 12002 Southwest Fwy, Meadows Place, Texas. The car now has one more mile on the odometer than when we handed it over so it seems like the car only updates its location when it's moving under its own power.

To finish the story, the car popped up on the Vroom website yesterday: Used 2017 Tesla Model 3 For Sale ($53,880) | Vroom

I was surprised they didn't change the name we gave the car (Sonja- because it's red). I was also a little surprised how much they are asking for the car: $53,880. They did fix the scraped rims and the door ding and vacuumed the interior. But that doesn't seem too competitive with a brand new car when the tax credit is figured in. I'm curious to see if they are able to get that price.

Nice story. I live close to the Texas Direct Auto where the car is now being sold. They went from having about 2-5 Tesla's in inventory at the beginning of the year to now over 20, not all at this location but I think most are. They generally seem to be priced fairly but for unique cars, they don't mind being priced high and sitting there for a long while evidently. If you call them to inquire about price, they will tell you the price is not negotiable but if you are able to go into the dealership, they will haggle (bought a car from them several years back before Vroom bought them). Nice that you can track the whereabouts of your old car online.

Nice story. I live close to the Texas Direct Auto where the car is now being sold. They went from having about 2-5 Tesla's in inventory at the beginning of the year to now over 20, not all at this location but I think most are. They generally seem to be priced fairly but for unique cars, they don't mind being priced high and sitting there for a long while evidently. If you call them to inquire about price, they will tell you the price is not negotiable but if you are able to go into the dealership, they will haggle (bought a car from them several years back before Vroom bought them). Nice that you can track the whereabouts of your old car online.

I'm surprised that they didn't turn off remote access on the car when they were cleaning it up. But I thought they treated me pretty well so it would be poor form to honk the horn, turn on the heater to wear the battery down, or otherwise screw with them through the app.

And thanks for providing the link to the car from Texas Auto Direct- they made the link to the carfax report more obvious so I took a look. It was interesting to see exactly what is on a carfax report for this kind of car and how long it took for the DMV to report the info.

Isn't your total cost closer to $7000 ($0.87/mile) when you take California tax and registration into account?

I was trying to estimate how much market value the car lost while we owned it- that seems more useful for others since not everyone lives in California.

But you're definitely right that California sales tax and DMV fees should be included in what it cost us to own the car for 8 months. The out-the-door price of the car was $61,664 ($5,040 in sales tax and $624 in DMV fees). So the total cost to own the car for 8 months and drive it 8,000 miles was $10,164 (~$10,400 if you count electricity). This is a bit more than it would have cost to rent the terrible economy car we had while we were waiting for the first Model 3 LR ($650 a month plus ~$1,000 for gas = $6,200). But less than the Audi A4 we rented from silver car after my wife could no longer tolerate the terrible economy car ($50 a day plus ~$1,200 for gas = $13,400). And a Model 3 LR is a MUCH better can than an Audi A4 :)

Reactions: neroden
My wife and I originally wanted a Model 3 AWD. But once Tesla announced how much longer the wait would be for the AWD version we decided to get a Model 3 Long Range first, keep the mileage low, get a Model 3 AWD as soon as they were available and then sell the Model 3 LR. This ended up working out surprisingly well and I thought I would share the details in case anyone else is in the same boat.

First off, we took delivery of a red Model 3 LR with autopilot in January. The sticker price was $56,000. We tried to keep the mileage as low as possible, but it was so fun to drive that we ended up with almost 8,000 miles by September 4th when we were told we could schedule delivery of our Model 3 AWD. I requested a trade-in offer from Tesla, but when I didn't get a prompt response I went ahead and entered all the stats on our Model 3 LR on Vroom.com. In addition to the 8,000 miles, the car also picked up some curb rash on three of the four wheels (my wife parks in tight spots in San Francisco) as well a minor door ding (our 3-year hasn't learned to be cautious when opening car doors yet). Vroom offered us $44,000 and the offer was good for 10 days and up to 250 additional miles. That seemed pretty reasonable since it was only $4,500 below the sticker price when the tax credit was figured in. That works out to 56 cents a mile which seems like pretty reasonable depreciation. Tesla finally got back to us and said $44,000 was better than what they were likely to offer so we went with Vroom.

We picked up the new Model 3 AWD three days after we accepted the offer to sell the old car to Vroom. The whole transaction to sell the old car was done almost completely on-line, but it did involve mailing in the title so we had the slightly odd situation of having two idential looking Model 3's (along with our Model S) in front of our house for a few days. View attachment 337022

Once Vroom got the title, they scheduled a pickup. They actually send a giant car-carrier truck to your house to pick the car up- you don't have to take the car anywhere. Although we live on a cul-de-sac so the truck driver requested that we meet him closer to the main road so he wouldn't have trouble turning his truck around. This was on Friday and Vroom wired the money to us on Monday. I don't think things could have been any more convenient.

I was curious where they would take the car so I checked in every so often on the app. To my surprise, the app said the car was still where we loaded it on the truck even though the truck was long gone. A few days later, the app finally showed the location as 12002 Southwest Fwy, Meadows Place, Texas. The car now has one more mile on the odometer than when we handed it over so it seems like the car only updates its location when it's moving under its own power.

To finish the story, the car popped up on the Vroom website yesterday: Used 2017 Tesla Model 3 For Sale ($53,880) | Vroom

I was surprised they didn't change the name we gave the car (Sonja- because it's red). I was also a little surprised how much they are asking for the car: $53,880. They did fix the scraped rims and the door ding and vacuumed the interior. But that doesn't seem too competitive with a brand new car when the tax credit is figured in. I'm curious to see if they are able to get that price.

Vroom has now dropped the price from $53,880 to $49,980: Used 2017 Tesla Model 3 For Sale ($49,980) | Vroom

They've got two other Model 3s with fewer miles, but no autopilot listed as sale pending at $48,980: Used Tesla Model 3s for Sale: Buy Online + Home Delivery | Vroom

This should give people considering upgrading to AWD a reasonable idea about the market value of a used Model 3 LR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit- now all 3 Model 3s on Vroom are listed as sale pending. Glad to see that Sonja is on her way to a new home instead of just sitting on a used car lot.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jdirik

We picked up the new Model 3 AWD three days after we accepted the offer to sell the old car to Vroom. The whole transaction to sell the old car was done almost completely on-line, but it did involve mailing in the title so we had the slightly odd situation of having two idential looking Model 3's (along with our Model S) in front of our house for a few days. View attachment 337022

Did you have to return the charger to Vroom? I have sold my 2015 Model S 85 to them and I am not getting any answer about returning the charger that came originally with the car. It seems that the 240V charger that I received originally is better than the mobile charger that I will be getting with the new refreshed Model S (LR) that I have ordered.