Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Tesla with Extended Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2016 Model S from Tesla in January of this year. After less than 4K miles of amazing ownership, the reality is that with the state of the world today and the foreseeable future (as far as my employment is concerned) I won't be driving anywhere near what I was expecting, which was the entire use case for me buying this car. It hurts my brain thinking about how bad of a bath I'm going to take on this by selling it.

The car had just under 20K miles on it when I bought it from Tesla so as of January, 2020 it has the 4 year / 50K mile extended warranty on the car, meaning it still has 3.5 years / 46K miles of warranty left. I have tried to search around but can't find the specific scenario here. If I sell this car, will that extended warranty transfer to the new owner (after performing the owner transfer through Tesla)? Since I'm not the original owner, and the extended warranty was included by Tesla with the sale of the used vehicle through them, I can't seem to find an answer to that specific chain of events.

Thanks for anyone's input or information!

Use the right words - Tesla calls it "Extended Service Plan" (adds 2 years or 4 years to the new car warranty) or "used vehicle limited warranty" (starts the clock again - 4 years/50,000 miles on used cars bought from them with less than 50,000 miles on the odometer) or the shorter version - "used vehicle extended limited warranty" (starts the clock again on time - 2 more years - but only up to 100,000 total miles (no reset on miles).

There is no "extended warranty".

I view it as a key selling point - you might be able to get the money back, but think it will pay for itself in resale value.

They list the versions here - Vehicle Warranty

Reactions: Akikiki
Appreciate the help on the verbiage. It is indeed the 4 year / 50K mile warranty on the used Tesla I bought from Tesla. Given how short of a timeframe I owned it, paying sales tax and the enormous shipping charge to get it here, there's just no way I'm going to be able to stomach the loss. I figured if I could get out of it without too much pain I might as well, looks like a lot of pain, so in the garage it will stay. Thank you for all the input!