Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling test drive demonstrators, is something up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried to book a test drive in a model Y. Very hard (here in the southeast) find one available. Finally booked one in Florida for about a week from now. But they said they are selling their demonstrators at all locations, so I have to confirm they have one the day before I drive there.

What's up? I see two possibilities:
(1) End of quarter, trying to maximize sales, and they have so many orders they don't need to even offer test drives anytime soon. Must be nice
(2) Something that looks different inside or outside is coming and they will be getting the new models in for their test drives?

They will unload all their demo's. Offer instant delivery and perhaps a small discount as well.

Then will restock with 2022's from fresh production.

For demo's they would like to have a current model for potential customers to experience.
End of June I got free delivery and a small discount, car was perfect since they like to use cars without panel gaps or other issues as the test drive cars.

Keith

I ran into this near the end of 2021Q3. Zero Model 3s available to test drive at my local sales center, and just two Model Ys. Almost bought a competitor EV until I finally got to drive the Model 3.

I though this stupid practice might end with Elon's announcement of not doing crazy EoQ rushes anymore, but I guess not. Or not yet. Keeping the test drive fleet fresh makes perfect sense. Selling almost every demo car at once and having regular periods without any test cars makes no sense. They should do rolling refreshes so there's always cars available to test.

I bought a demo Model Y on 10/18 (almost flawless) and just this past week about two dozen MYLR demos were dumped into the inventory (you need to watch Discord channels). It seems Tesla uses cars as demos for 2-4 weeks between 400 to 2000 miles before selling them. Usually under 1000 miles though.

Back in the fall, I was unable to secure a test drive in Orlando so I ended up renting one from Turo for a day.

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic
I just tried to book a test drive in a model Y. Very hard (here in the southeast) find one available. Finally booked one in Florida for about a week from now. But they said they are selling their demonstrators at all locations, so I have to confirm they have one the day before I drive there.

What's up? I see two possibilities:
(1) End of quarter, trying to maximize sales, and they have so many orders they don't need to even offer test drives anytime soon. Must be nice
(2) Something that looks different inside or outside is coming and they will be getting the new models in for their test drives?
Familiar to when they sold all model S & X in preparation of release of refreshed products.