Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling to Carvana - our experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would share our experience selling our car to get prepared for our MYP delivery in a month or so. Your experience may differ but thought I'd share all our detials.

Car - trading/selling in was a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 66K miles in nice condition.

When we first place our order for the Y I quickly got quotes from Carvana, Car Max and Vroom. This was 2.5 weeks ago. The values they gave were $27,807, $28,400 and $28,721 respectively. At the same time I put in all the info to Tesla for a trade value. A couple of days later it came back at $26,100 (even with KY tax break it was still a bit lower).

Then about 5 days ago we finally said ok let's sell it early (we have another car to drive in the meantime) instead of waiting until late Jan and delivery. My thought was values would be the highest before Christmas. So then I went on and re-did my quotes. Keep in mind this was only about 1.5 weeks later and we got Carvana = $29,550, Vroom = $28,423 and CarMax = $28,400. I found it interesting how much they jumped around.

So we selected to sell to Carvana. You click "approve offer" on then it sends you to a document upload screen. You upload pics of your title and drivers license, that simple. Then they tell you they have to "check ownership" and will get back. About 12 hrs later they said approved and now you select your pick up appointment and how you would like to be paid. We selected check. On our appointment day (yesterday) a guy rolls up. He asks you to start the car and he takes a pic of the odometer and the vin. We then literally signed 3 papers to transfer title and accept our check. He took both keys and we were done. That simple.

I was so skeptical of this process. We have never sold to one of those places. I figured they would give you a number and then on day of delivery they would show up and try to nick pick and weasel their way down to a different pay out. Granted our car was in amazing shape for a 2017 with 66K miles. When you fill out the questionnaire about your vehicle to get the quote we were honest but I also selected the top option on condition. we did however have the smallest chip in the windshield. So small the repair guy said he wouldn't even bother fixing it as it could make it worse. I thought "oh my gosh he is going to nail me for that". Nope. Nothing. Guy didn't even care or look around at the car.

If you read none of the above here is the cliff notes. Sell to Carvana, fill out the quotes a couple of times for all of them as they do change. KNow this is as painless as it gets.

Just sold my leased 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee to CarMax yesterday. Fairly quick process and they paid exactly what was quoted online - and was $13K over my buyout price. The list of manufacturer financing companies CarMax can't buy leased cars from is pretty lengthy (see sign posted in CarMax below), but fortunately Chrysler Capital wasn't on the list and they didn't try to jack up the buyout price for a third party dealer. Walked out with a $13K check which will cover over a year and a half of payments on the Y.

Side note: Shift.com actually had a slightly higher quote ($500) than CarMax (both of which were higher than Carvana, Zoom, Tesla, etc.), but they can't buy leases from Chrysler Capital.

Attachments

• IMG_6972.jpeg
    IMG_6972.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 346
Reactions: voxel
We do realize these purchase prices are absurd, right?
Oh for sure. But why not take advantage of the car shortage right? Obviously better than turning a leased car back to the dealer and getting nothing.

BTW, if you can't sell your leased car directly to a third party dealer, you always have the option of buying it yourself and then re-selling. Takes more time and is a bit of a hassle, but if you can net meaningful dollars, why not?

Reactions: 45thParallel
I thought I would share our experience selling our car to get prepared for our MYP delivery in a month or so. Your experience may differ but thought I'd share all our detials.

Car - trading/selling in was a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 66K miles in nice condition.

When we first place our order for the Y I quickly got quotes from Carvana, Car Max and Vroom. This was 2.5 weeks ago. The values they gave were $27,807, $28,400 and $28,721 respectively. At the same time I put in all the info to Tesla for a trade value. A couple of days later it came back at $26,100 (even with KY tax break it was still a bit lower).

Then about 5 days ago we finally said ok let's sell it early (we have another car to drive in the meantime) instead of waiting until late Jan and delivery. My thought was values would be the highest before Christmas. So then I went on and re-did my quotes. Keep in mind this was only about 1.5 weeks later and we got Carvana = $29,550, Vroom = $28,423 and CarMax = $28,400. I found it interesting how much they jumped around.

So we selected to sell to Carvana. You click "approve offer" on then it sends you to a document upload screen. You upload pics of your title and drivers license, that simple. Then they tell you they have to "check ownership" and will get back. About 12 hrs later they said approved and now you select your pick up appointment and how you would like to be paid. We selected check. On our appointment day (yesterday) a guy rolls up. He asks you to start the car and he takes a pic of the odometer and the vin. We then literally signed 3 papers to transfer title and accept our check. He took both keys and we were done. That simple.

I was so skeptical of this process. We have never sold to one of those places. I figured they would give you a number and then on day of delivery they would show up and try to nick pick and weasel their way down to a different pay out. Granted our car was in amazing shape for a 2017 with 66K miles. When you fill out the questionnaire about your vehicle to get the quote we were honest but I also selected the top option on condition. we did however have the smallest chip in the windshield. So small the repair guy said he wouldn't even bother fixing it as it could make it worse. I thought "oh my gosh he is going to nail me for that". Nope. Nothing. Guy didn't even care or look around at the car.

If you read none of the above here is the cliff notes. Sell to Carvana, fill out the quotes a couple of times for all of them as they do change. KNow this is as painless as it gets.
does your car have minor cosmetic dent/damage? wondering if I shall repair them first or there is a way to tell them..

does your car have minor cosmetic dent/damage? wondering if I shall repair them first or there is a way to tell them..
It did not. Other than the standard few nicks up front from the road and 65K miles the body was perfect with not even one door ding. I do not know how any minor dings would matter based on the lack of walk around they did. Now if you had a dent or paint issues then yeah I am sure they would catch it.

I just sold my 2018 Prius to them, after 3yrs and 24K mi I made $3,500 over what I paid including all taxes and fees. Similarly the process was super easy.

Pro tip: once you accept the offer they lock it for 30 days. You can keep checking the same VIN as a logged out user and reset the price on the quote by changing the milage to recalculate. Doing this the offer went up like $5K over time haha

Thanks for sharing your experience with Carvana. I would recommend everyone to add GMTV to your consideration set. I sold them my 2021 MYP just before I took delivery of my 2022 MYP and received a substantial amount more than Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, and CarbuyerUSA. Crazy to think I received about $10,000 more than I paid for the car 12 months ago. It was a no brainer for me to sell and rebuy.

Reactions: goin2drt

Thanks for the info! I am getting ready to sell my Honda CRV and was a little skeptical of these types of services-too good to be true? But sounds like I a may get quotes from a few places and go this route. Sure beats dealing with crazies on Craigslist!

Reactions: goin2drt
Sold our 2018 Model S Long Range to Carvana for $1500 less than what a new one costs 3 weeks ago. New 2022 arrives next week. So basically 1 month without a car, sales tax and fees and we have a brand new one with many improvements and a fresh warranty.

I don't really understand the used car market dynamics right now but very happy to take advantage of them. And yes, selling to Carvana was ridiculously simple.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Carvana. I would recommend everyone to add GMTV to your consideration set. I sold them my 2021 MYP just before I took delivery of my 2022 MYP and received a substantial amount more than Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, and CarbuyerUSA. Crazy to think I received about $10,000 more than I paid for the car 12 months ago. It was a no brainer for me to sell and rebuy.
I got a quote from GMTV for $60k-$62k for 2021 MYP. What did you get when you sold your MYP?

I sold my 2019 Lexus GX460 to Carvana a few weeks back. Second car I've sold to them, and a perfectly smooth transaction the entire way. For my 2019 GX460, I got just about what I paid for it two years and 19k miles ago! Thanks Covid used car market! I just ordered a 2022 Model Y Performance to fill the space in the garage.

Reactions: 45thParallel
How does it work with carvana if you have a note on the vehicle and don't have physical copy of the title because of that?
They request you provide a 10 or 15 day payoff from the lender. Once payoff is verified, funds are sent to the lender to payoff the note and the lender sends the title to them. If there's a shortfall, you owe Carvana the difference. If you have positive equity, they owe you the delta between the payoff and the appraisal value.